Ranchers.net Bull Session

Border Collie - Sheltie MIx

Stories and questions about our best friends.
hillsdown
Rancher
Rancher

Postby hillsdown » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Steffie was 1/4 Sheltie and 3/4 Border Collie and she was a hell of a dog. Worked differently than Nikki ,but was still great and was the sweetest ,gentlest dog as well . Except to the cows :wink:
We still miss her everyday . :(

Btw the cross makes a very pretty tri color dog .
HD

lightninboy

Postby lightninboy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm not saying you let the Sheltie chase the cattle all the time.

I'm saying you have to have the Sheltie WANT to chase cattle or else it won't be much of a cattledog.

hillsdown
Rancher
Rancher

Postby hillsdown » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 pm

lightninboy wrote:I'm not saying you let the Sheltie chase the cattle all the time.

I'm saying you have to have the Sheltie WANT to chase cattle or else it won't be much of a cattledog.

When it(chasing) works it is called herding LOL :lol: :P
HD

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:28 pm

hillsdown wrote:
lightninboy wrote:I'm not saying you let the Sheltie chase the cattle all the time.

.....and that depends on whether the handler is a chaser or actually a herder..... :wink:
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

hillsdown
Rancher
Rancher

Postby hillsdown » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
hillsdown wrote:

.....and that depends on whether the handler is a chaser or actually a herder..... :wink:

I am getting too old to chase .I like to herd ;better yet I stay at the gate and Nikki herds . :lol:
HD

Mooersmom

Postby Mooersmom » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:27 pm

I know this is an old post but felt I needed to post my views. My husband and I adopted two Border Collie/Sheltie mix pups 16 yrs ago. Littermates, a male and female. As Paula Marie stated, they were "once in a lifetime" dogs that we will miss until our dying day. They were our children. They were the most beautiful, loving, intelligent, fun-loving dogs. This was our first time raising pups on our own. We had both had pets when we were kids but our parents trained them. We could not have asked for more easily trainable dogs. They were both so eager to please. Our dogs also had such great personalities, our Missy was the comedian and her brother, Buddy, her straight-man. The two of them brought us more happiness than we could have ever imagined. They were both black and white like the Border Collie but on the smaller side (40-45#) like the Sheltie. I could not tell you if their temperaments favored more on the Border Collie or the Sheltie side because my family has owned purebreds of both and they were both loving sweet-natured breeds. They were very healthy dogs most of their lives. We lost Buddy to bone cancer in 2009 at the age of 14. We lost Missy a year later at the age of 15, to arthritis and old age. Until his cancer caused him to break his leg, Buddy was still very active for a 14 yr old dog. Missy developed arthritis in her back at the age of 13 but on she still loved to play and didn't slow down until her brother passed. I, too, wish this breed/mix of dog were more available as my husband and I are ready to bring two more pups into our home. If you know of anyone with this breed who is willing to sell to a non-ranch home I would love to hear from them. I can't upload pictures to this post but will be more than happy to send pictures via email or snail mail. We have hundreds of pics of our pups from puppyhood to adult.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:21 pm

What a nice tribute to your dogs.

You CAN share your pictures. It's pretty easy. Go to
photo contest and jersey lilly has the directions posted there.
We'll look forward to pictures from you...and
WELCOME to Ranchers!!
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Return to “Horses & Dogs”