Ranchers.net Bull Session

Shoot that old dog !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stories and questions about our best friends.
George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:51 pm

My foundation bad word came from the Army after 6 years as a guard dog. She terrified everyone when I brought her home but in less than a month I had her back into a great pet. www.germanshepherdkingdom.com

I only got 2 litters out of her and then she developed breast cancer. With a shooting range in the back of the Gravel pit I could have shot her but she deserved better.

I have a great Vet who I have worked with for over 40 years and for $50.00 he came to the house - - - I already took a backhoe and had a grave dug. He gave her a shot to put her to sleep and then another to stop her heart and then we laid her in the grave.

I feel if youf dog has been a great companion she deserves no less than that type of treatment from you!
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.
Watch your actions, they become your habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

DustDevil

Postby DustDevil » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:11 am

I've put down a couple of beloved old dogs and executed one real bad one with a .22 rifle. If I have to make the decision again and I'm sure I will with all the dogs we have, I'll take 'em to the doc and have him "put them to sleep". Wouldn't bother me, though, to "execute" another one if he's as bad as that last one was.

OldDog/NewTricks
Rancher
Rancher

Postby OldDog/NewTricks » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:58 pm

hillsdown wrote:The cost for just the shot for a medium sized dog is $90.00 here .

I use to do 90% of the Vet work for Feed Lot - The Vet Supply got to know me - I could get sodium thiopental for sheep-dogs-Goats for around $9 per dose per case.
sodium thiopental now cost is around $19 per Single dose shot

I'm the person everyone calls - Many people and kids remember me as "The Person that Put Their (xyz) Down.

A 22 Pellet is quick and easy - 'pop' and its over
We have 2 Power Company Towers on the ranch - many Pet are planted under their Spread Legs
In Gods We Trust!

I Believe in GOD
The “ONLY” Prayer I Make...
“Thy WILL BE DONE”
“Hope I can Learn N ACCEPT”

Return to “Horses & Dogs”