Ranchers.net Bull Session

First Time Under Saddle

Stories and questions about our best friends.
Silver
Rancher
Rancher

First Time Under Saddle

Postby Silver » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Started this little project a couple days ago. As she is 5 years old, I figured it was well past time to do something with her. Spent the first session trying to pick her feet up :mad:
Second session she was a different horse. I got her feet trimmed no trouble, taught her to lead by a front foot, etc. Today she saw the saddle for the first time and she stood very calmly for the whole procedure. I took the pic within a minute of the saddle being on. I might have to change my mind about her and keep her around.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Nice hip on her.
Funny how some horses just seem to "get it" and settle right down and others never "get it". :?

Is that saddle a Eamor 1000? Somethings make think that and other I'm not sure about. The round skirts and that wide Cheyenne roll make me question it being an Eamor.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 pm

A horse trainer I know is now in his mid 60's. He has progressed to the point that at his age the first couple of rides are done in a box stall where he can reach up and grab the rafters if things get out of hand. :lol:

This guy has started hundreds of colts in his day and this method is his choice of being able to continue his occupation.

Good luck Silver, she looks like a nice, stout little mare.

edit...... Maybe you were a different person today? :wink: :D
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Is that saddle a Eamor 1000? Somethings make think that and other I'm not sure about. The round skirts and that wide Cheyenne roll make me question it being an Eamor.

It does have a lot of similarities to the Eamors that we have, but this is a Western Rawhide I bought new in 1979. Has just the right amount of tooling on it to suit me :wink:
It's a heavy saddle. As I was 9 yrs old when I bought it with my 4H money, Dad said he would use it until I was big enough to set it on a horse myself. I was about 20 or more when I finally asked him if he thought I was big enough yet :lol:
My next one will be built by JB if I have my way.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:10 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
edit...... Maybe you were a different person today? :wink: :D

That could be... the first day I worked with her I may have had a bad mindset as I broke her half sister a few years ago and the just the thought of that SOB makes me mad. I may have been too ready to prejudge. :shock:

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:37 pm

I've got three original Eamors I really like them for a saddle-one thing I learned quick was to pack my own saddle to riding A'I jobs

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Today went pretty good. She saddled up like an old broke horse, let me pick her feet up and hold them with no troubles, and let me climb on and sit with no flinching.
Then I put a snaffle on her and tied the reins to the saddle short enough to make her give to the bit to get relief. She worked up quite a sweat thinking about that, but after 4 hrs she was cooled off and standing quietly with slack reins and a good head set.
Things are looking up, but I think it's a setup :D

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Whattaya waitin' for? :D

Take all the time you need Silver, you'll have her broke to ride and ropin' either side before branding time. :wink:
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Heck step up, take a deep seat and reach up and hook her! :lol:

Well, that what they tell me all them good broncy guys do! :D

Me? I let them youngster do the first rides. They heal way faster. Then when they come back I piddle around and try to have them goin' pretty good by the time they are 5 or 6. :-)
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:34 pm

If the ground had a decent snow cover on it instead of bare frozen ground and a layer of ice I might be more inclined to take her for a ride. I too am noticing I don't heal like I used to so I tend to go a little slower nowadays :oops:

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 pm

That bedpack on the other side of the fence with all the frozen turds in it looks softer than where she is standing. :wink: :P :D

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:50 pm

That's exactly where I took her to get on :D

Return to “Horses & Dogs”