Ranchers.net Bull Session

First Time Under Saddle

Stories and questions about our best friends.
gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Great minds DO think alike, let me know how the lap under the loafing shed goes. :lol:
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:17 am

gcreekrch wrote:Great minds DO think alike, let me know how the lap under the loafing shed goes. :lol:

:D :D :D :D I was thinking the same thing!!
Don't sweat the small stuff.

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:24 am

She is a good lookin mare, make sure you have a strong nite latch on your saddle, the frozen ground looks hard.
good luck

OldDog/NewTricks
Rancher
Rancher

Postby OldDog/NewTricks » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:52 pm

In the 60's my wife and I use to Start Colts going to the Track for other people.
She was 105 Lbs and we'd start them in the Box Stalls
I had a rope and harness on her - if things got to WESTERN I could lift her off...

I like that you waited until 5 years old - - that is how we use to do it.
First year = Handle, Halter, Lead
Second Year = Light Riding for a month - then turn them out until 5 year olds
In Gods We Trust!

I Believe in GOD
The “ONLY” Prayer I Make...
“Thy WILL BE DONE”
“Hope I can Learn N ACCEPT”

Justin
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Justin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 pm

she looks like she could pull a barn over. :D good luck the rest of the way.
you can't fix stupid.
-Ron White-

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:05 am

I forgot about this thread. I am starting a coming 3 year old gelding. Put the second ride on yesterday. took him and his sister up to our neighboring horse trainer. He worked with the filly and he and I put second rides on colts, while his father got in there with a flag and "helped" us. It went real well. I am keeping a diary of it on a thread on my blog, called horse training.

Been a long time since I put a ride on a colt with this little of training. Really enjoyed it.
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, I have a confession to make. Because I could see I just wasn't going to have the time to get this horse going the way I wanted to, I elected to send her to a girl to put 60 days on her. This girl is an incredible trainer, and honest to a fault with her time. She took nearly 3 months to put the 60 days on (she got married, had a honeymoon, and the horse was down a bit with cinch sores). She rode and roped off this mare at brandings, pasture roped, and used her for her day job at South Peace Stock Farms, so this horse got a lot of hours under saddle in her time with Jessica.
I have can not believe the handle she has on this horse. She now has an amazing flat spin, a sliding stop, goes from a dead run to backing up at a high rate of speed in one easy motion, side passes, all the good stuff. All the while with amazing collection and a feather light touch. All in all I just couldn't be happier. I figure it was $1600 well spent.
Did I mention she taught her to lay down??

You may notice she's a little slimmer now :shock: :lol:

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Good to hear Silver! IMHO $1600 is peanut's compared to what it cost's to keep one around that we never get to work or enjoy!! And it sure sound's like your haveing fun!!

Take care

Return to “Horses & Dogs”