Ranchers.net Bull Session

info on hancock horses

Stories and questions about our best friends.
C-E

Postby C-E » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:13 pm

She was a very good looking horse, but looks aren't everything. She was even more green then advertised. I kept her for a week on a trial basis, and I couldn't get her to do anything. From the ground or the saddle. She probably could have been a great horse if she had been started right, I think what it came down to was whoever started her had absolutely no clue what they were doing. And a trip to the vet found that she probably wasn't even breeding sound. I did ride her about 3 times and I don't think she had a ounce of buck in her, she just didn't know anything and I don't have time to teach an old dog new tricks. So the search continues.

Chimenea

Postby Chimenea » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:41 am

C-E wrote:She was a very good looking horse, but looks aren't everything. She was even more green then advertised. I kept her for a week on a trial basis, and I couldn't get her to do anything. From the ground or the saddle. She probably could have been a great horse if she had been started right, I think what it came down to was whoever started her had absolutely no clue what they were doing. And a trip to the vet found that she probably wasn't even breeding sound. I did ride her about 3 times and I don't think she had a ounce of buck in her, she just didn't know anything and I don't have time to teach an old dog new tricks. So the search continues.

Well, I guess all is well that ends well. I'm glad to hear that, in finding out that she wasn't what you wanted, you didn't have to come to that decision from her causing a wreck or putting you in a bad spot.

What is it that you're trying to find?

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
jamiehuggins wrote:
WHR wrote:
jamiehuggins wrote:My family raises Hancocks, and while I was in college I did a paper on that line of breeding. So my info comes from experience and research. There are two lines that go back to Hancock, one is the line that makes hardy horses with speed and buck. The other line creates hardy horses that are very cowy, no buck, but don't have the speed of their counterpart. We have keep several of the horses we raised for our own purposes. I do most to the breaking and have never been thrown by any of our colts. For the most part our horses are pretty cold blooded. After their first thirty days or so anyone is able to ride them. I have a little stud right now that I am afriad to cut becuase if he gets any calmer I'm afraid he may die. I also have a mare that is the same age who is very manageable but very hot. She has never bucked but she has tried to attack things that spoke her while I'm riding her, like my rope, or tin cans that roll past her. We do have other mares that are kid gentle but are quick to work. These are horses that sometimes go for 6 months to a year before they are rode and we have no issues. I could go on for pages debating this side of the coin and provide a dozen more personal stories on different horses, that weren't buckers. But I have often heard people say they had a great Hancock, after they got their first buck of the day out.
I just have to ask ,at the risk of starting something. Which are the two bloodlines you are referring to? I would have thought that there were more than two. I realize that there has to be many exceptions Anyway I am curious.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Yes of course Hancock was bred to many mares, if that's what you are saying. What I was referring to, is there seems to be, as I have witnessed and heard several people with experience in Hancock horses say, that there are two main lines that go back to him. One is the line that raises bucking horses, and the other line is the calmer line with little if any buck.

Can you differentiate those lines by name?

I can tell you one thing, the Roan Hancocks are broncy.
And they don't have much heart.

We had a Tom Hancock bred gelding at one time that was a very
nice horse. He was out of Squaw Hancock by Tom Hancock if I
remember correctly. In fact, he wound up being our daughter's
horse when she was about 9 or 10 years old. He was a good one.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Return to “Horses & Dogs”