Ranchers.net Bull Session

info on hancock horses

Stories and questions about our best friends.
Chimenea

Postby Chimenea » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:40 am

C-E wrote:I spoke with the gentleman again this evening, and this mare isn't heavily Hancock bred at all. Really not sure why he said that, she does go back to blue valentine on the top side but is not line bred Hancock. Here is her pedigree http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ruby+ranger+jpt Still plan on going to see/ride her this weekend. Please feel free to let me know what you think of the rest of her pedigree. And if I can figure out how to get a pic from my phone to here I'll try to post it.

Would really like to see some pictures of this mare; she has a lot more Three Bars in her pedigree than she has Hancock, and I like the bottom sides of both her and her sire's pedigrees. The shots of Leo and Skipper W (especially since they're through Skippa Star and Skippa Cord) are encouraging, as both of those bloodlines cross really well with Three Bars.

One thing is for sure, she's bred to be an athlete. Not necessarily a modern race horse, but she has plenty of speed and athleticism back there to make one think she'd be a nice (and pretty) ranch horse. Hope you can send us some pictures.

WHR

Postby WHR » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:48 pm

I'm sure you would regret trading him off the next time your quad won't get the job done. I just wouldn't feel good about that. :wink:
gcreekrch wrote:
WHR wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:We have a home raised Blue Valentine/Peppy San/Baldy Barnes bred gelding that is a real sweetheart to ride.

I'll have to agree that some of my favourites have had Baldy Barnes in there. He must have been a good horse but I suspect not very widely known. I think that he stood in Wyoming somewhere.

Maybe you had better bring your trailer if you come west this summer. :wink: He's going to waste here.

A Scot and a Norwegian squarehead in a horse trade, think we could sell tickets? :lol:

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Gosh, you MUST be gettin' old. :P :lol:

At least I know you or the girls would use him.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

jamiehuggins

Postby jamiehuggins » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:47 am

My family raises Hancocks, and while I was in college I did a paper on that line of breeding. So my info comes from experience and research. There are two lines that go back to Hancock, one is the line that makes hardy horses with speed and buck. The other line creates hardy horses that are very cowy, no buck, but don't have the speed of their counterpart. We have keep several of the horses we raised for our own purposes. I do most to the breaking and have never been thrown by any of our colts. For the most part our horses are pretty cold blooded. After their first thirty days or so anyone is able to ride them. I have a little stud right now that I am afriad to cut becuase if he gets any calmer I'm afraid he may die. I also have a mare that is the same age who is very manageable but very hot. She has never bucked but she has tried to attack things that spoke her while I'm riding her, like my rope, or tin cans that roll past her. We do have other mares that are kid gentle but are quick to work. These are horses that sometimes go for 6 months to a year before they are rode and we have no issues. I could go on for pages debating this side of the coin and provide a dozen more personal stories on different horses, that weren't buckers. But I have often heard people say they had a great Hancock, after they got their first buck of the day out.

WHR

Postby WHR » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:09 pm

jamiehuggins wrote:My family raises Hancocks, and while I was in college I did a paper on that line of breeding. So my info comes from experience and research. There are two lines that go back to Hancock, one is the line that makes hardy horses with speed and buck. The other line creates hardy horses that are very cowy, no buck, but don't have the speed of their counterpart. We have keep several of the horses we raised for our own purposes. I do most to the breaking and have never been thrown by any of our colts. For the most part our horses are pretty cold blooded. After their first thirty days or so anyone is able to ride them. I have a little stud right now that I am afriad to cut becuase if he gets any calmer I'm afraid he may die. I also have a mare that is the same age who is very manageable but very hot. She has never bucked but she has tried to attack things that spoke her while I'm riding her, like my rope, or tin cans that roll past her. We do have other mares that are kid gentle but are quick to work. These are horses that sometimes go for 6 months to a year before they are rode and we have no issues. I could go on for pages debating this side of the coin and provide a dozen more personal stories on different horses, that weren't buckers. But I have often heard people say they had a great Hancock, after they got their first buck of the day out.
I just have to ask ,at the risk of starting something. Which are the two bloodlines you are referring to? I would have thought that there were more than two. I realize that there has to be many exceptions Anyway I am curious.

jamiehuggins

Postby jamiehuggins » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:27 pm

WHR wrote:
jamiehuggins wrote:My family raises Hancocks, and while I was in college I did a paper on that line of breeding. So my info comes from experience and research. There are two lines that go back to Hancock, one is the line that makes hardy horses with speed and buck. The other line creates hardy horses that are very cowy, no buck, but don't have the speed of their counterpart. We have keep several of the horses we raised for our own purposes. I do most to the breaking and have never been thrown by any of our colts. For the most part our horses are pretty cold blooded. After their first thirty days or so anyone is able to ride them. I have a little stud right now that I am afriad to cut becuase if he gets any calmer I'm afraid he may die. I also have a mare that is the same age who is very manageable but very hot. She has never bucked but she has tried to attack things that spoke her while I'm riding her, like my rope, or tin cans that roll past her. We do have other mares that are kid gentle but are quick to work. These are horses that sometimes go for 6 months to a year before they are rode and we have no issues. I could go on for pages debating this side of the coin and provide a dozen more personal stories on different horses, that weren't buckers. But I have often heard people say they had a great Hancock, after they got their first buck of the day out.
I just have to ask ,at the risk of starting something. Which are the two bloodlines you are referring to? I would have thought that there were more than two. I realize that there has to be many exceptions Anyway I am curious.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Yes of course Hancock was bred to many mares, if that's what you are saying. What I was referring to, is there seems to be, as I have witnessed and heard several people with experience in Hancock horses say, that there are two main lines that go back to him. One is the line that raises bucking horses, and the other line is the calmer line with little if any buck.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:47 pm

jamiehuggins wrote:
WHR wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Yes of course Hancock was bred to many mares, if that's what you are saying. What I was referring to, is there seems to be, as I have witnessed and heard several people with experience in Hancock horses say, that there are two main lines that go back to him. One is the line that raises bucking horses, and the other line is the calmer line with little if any buck.

Can you differentiate those lines by name?

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

jamiehuggins

Postby jamiehuggins » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't know which lines buck and which don't specifically. I think some one had previously posted that the Blue Valentine horses will buck and I have to disagree with that. Our horses all go back to him and I know that several of the other Hancock breeders around here have studs that go back to Blue Valentine. I believe that Chip Meritt of WY was the owner of Blue Valentine. I know that there are a lot of horses in this area that came out of WY, and I would guess they went back to BV as well. However I know that our mares are BV, and I have friends that have BV studs that are very well known for being cowy, smart and no buck.

C-E

Postby C-E » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Sorry I have beentrying to get the photos up but working from my phone I can't get it to work.
Anyway I brought the mare home today for a week long trial. And I'm sure I'll probably end up keeping her. Just rode around the arena today. She hadn't been ridden for a month, and she wasn't cold backed at all. She is really green but seems to have a level head and is very willing. Will try to get pics tomorrow, can't seem to get them up here but could email them to anyone interested.

jamiehuggins

Postby jamiehuggins » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 am

I wish you the best of luck with your new horse. If she is anything like our horses I'm sure you will enjoy her. What are you planning on using her for?

flyingS

Postby flyingS » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:12 am

I've ridden a fair number of horses with some sort of Hancock blood line. I can't remember one that wasn't tough. I ride a palimino gelding that is pretty nice, his main fault is he can't run fast enough to save his soul. We came to an agreement when I started him, he decided he could buck me off anytime he wanted and after driving my head in the ground 3 times over the course of a couple of years, I agreed. Now I try to avoid the subject and we get along fine. My 3yr old son rode him today and got along great.

Chimenea

Postby Chimenea » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 am

C-E wrote:Sorry I have beentrying to get the photos up but working from my phone I can't get it to work.
Anyway I brought the mare home today for a week long trial. And I'm sure I'll probably end up keeping her. Just rode around the arena today. She hadn't been ridden for a month, and she wasn't cold backed at all. She is really green but seems to have a level head and is very willing. Will try to get pics tomorrow, can't seem to get them up here but could email them to anyone interested.

So, how is the new mare working out? Would love to see some pictures of her when you get the chance.

Return to “Horses & Dogs”