Ranchers.net Bull Session

4th time under a saddle...and a wreck. Now what?

Stories and questions about our best friends.
LCP

Postby LCP » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. This morning I worked on getting him ok with something around his belly (rope) and this evening was able to put the saddle on again pretty easily. He gave a couple little hops and that was it. No quite the same as before though because this saddle is about 30 lbs lighter and has no stirrups. We'll get there though.

BMR I think you're right. I needed some training more than the horse.

High Plains

Postby High Plains » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:02 pm

LCP, I'm not a horse trainer, but I play one in the movies!

Nah, it sounds like you've got your head right and will do fine. No reason to quit unless you're dealing with a truly wild one that wants to fight you. Otherwise, it sounds like you just had a misunderstanding or some bad timing on one day and that's no deal breaker. If he acts like he likes you for the most part then you can surely back up and go slowly forward again. Sounds like that's what you've done and I'll bet you'll get it licked before you know it!

Good on ya' for taking up the challenge and also for asking questions of others that have been there. Pulling for ya!
HP

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

Postby leanin' H » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:48 pm

High Plains wrote:LCP, I'm not a horse trainer, but I play one in the movies!

Nah, it sounds like you've got your head right and will do fine. No reason to quit unless you're dealing with a truly wild one that wants to fight you. Otherwise, it sounds like you just had a misunderstanding or some bad timing on one day and that's no deal breaker. If he acts like he likes you for the most part then you can surely back up and go slowly forward again. Sounds like that's what you've done and I'll bet you'll get it licked before you know it!

Good on ya' for taking up the challenge and also for asking questions of others that have been there. Pulling for ya!

Me Too!!! :D
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

flyingS

Postby flyingS » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:25 pm

I am probably going to start a discussion here. Whatever you do, do not tie your horse up and saddle him and leave him stand. I will explain, first off it is not safe for your horse or for you if you aren't experienced. Second your not building his confidence, your just showing him that if he throws a fit he can't get away from whatever you tie him to. Third, you are actually punishing him for doing something good. You do not want him to buck, but when he quits you don't want to punish him. Start back at the basic's and build his confidence. He obvisously was looking to you for release or he wouldn't have come to you. It would take me a long time to explain what I would do and it may not make sense to you either. If you want one that you can ride to hell and come back with the devil by the tail you better have his trust and you better make sure that he thinks whatever you ask him to do he can get done without being forced. Just my opinion and advice, it free so it's not worth much.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:51 pm

leanin' H wrote:
High Plains wrote:LCP, I'm not a horse trainer, but I play one in the movies!

Me Too!!! :D

Me Three!!! :D

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi LCP just an idea for you, next time you try that saddle on your colt put your pad and saddle on as usual but before you go to the cinch, run your hand under the pad, under the saddle from front to back ( have your hand flat and under the "bar's" of your saddle) With a good fit you will feel even pressure/weight on your hand all/most of the way (generaly somewhat heavier at the front lessenning as you move back) any bump's/pinch's, or gap's can sure cause trouble!!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:40 am

flyingS wrote:I am probably going to start a discussion here. Whatever you do, do not tie your horse up and saddle him and leave him stand. I will explain, first off it is not safe for your horse or for you if you aren't experienced. Second your not building his confidence, your just showing him that if he throws a fit he can't get away from whatever you tie him to. Third, you are actually punishing him for doing something good. You do not want him to buck, but when he quits you don't want to punish him. Start back at the basic's and build his confidence. He obvisously was looking to you for release or he wouldn't have come to you. It would take me a long time to explain what I would do and it may not make sense to you either. If you want one that you can ride to hell and come back with the devil by the tail you better have his trust and you better make sure that he thinks whatever you ask him to do he can get done without being forced. Just my opinion and advice, it free so it's not worth much.

Good advice! IMHO
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

Postby leanin' H » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:40 am

edited
Last edited by leanin' H on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!

<Parry Taylor>

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:11 pm

To each his own.
We had a little gal here breaking colts for people,
she worked them in the round pen UNTIL she knew they were
ready to be saddled.
For thier first saddling they would stand in the middle of
the round pen and she would take the saddle over to them
and saddle them with nothing on their head. She had their total
trust of her and never, ever did anything go wrong. She was little,
barely 5' and she said she couldn't hold on to them (she would
never tie them up) and saddle them at the same time. This way
was pretty darn hard to beat. She was a natural with a horse,
and really fun to watch. She married a cutting horse man and
lives in Oklahoma and now she rides cutting horses But she gets
the young horses going for her husband.

We have another friend that gives clinics and he goes a lot of places
halter breaking colts. And he never ties those colts up to be halter
broke because he maintains that puts braces in them that you
never get rid of. He halter breaks for people like Bill Smith, Mel
Potter, etc because they like how their colts are when they start
riding them. That halter breaking is so important as far as teaching
a horse to give to pressure and not be on the defensive.

FWIW
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

flyingS

Postby flyingS » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:30 pm

You can build a horses confidence many different ways. I used to just get on and ride with no ground work to speak of, now I spend sometime with ground work. The main reason for the change was a thirst for knowledge and the fact that I don't bounce any more, it is more like a splat. The end result in my horses hasn't changed much, I would say that I don't worry as much about wrecks when I first start riding one as I used to. As long as you keep learning you will be fine, when you have it all figured out you better quit. I have trained for better than 20yrs and I learn something everytime I start a colt.

LCP

Postby LCP » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:34 pm

I haven't had a halter on him while working with the saddle until yesterday (first time coming back from the wreck). I put the halter and lead rope on yesterday so that if he got a little spooky I could keep him from going around the pen before I got the cinch at least fastened. I don't know if I needed to or not, he didn't get too spooky. Nervous, yes. Spooky, no. I tightened the cinch 4 different times - a little more each time.

Bruce - thanks for the advice to check the saddle. Never thought of that before. Been using it on my other horse and she doesn't mind it, but maybe it doesnt fit him right. Those two horses sure are built different.

Putting the saddle on presents a little bit different process than the other things I've taught him. With everything else (lifting his feet, walking around him, etc), if he doesn't stand still for me, I can immediately send him around the pen a few times to make him want to stand still. Working with the saddle, I can't stop half way through tightening the cinch and send him around the pen for obvious reasons. That's why I think I pushed him a little to fast the other day. This method only seems to work if he is completely calm and accepting of the saddle and all that goes with it. I put the halter on this last time, because I knew that I could control him easily with it if he got a little spooky and I wanted to make sure that things did not end as poorly as the time before. He was still nervous when I put it on him but settled down pretty quick. I left him saddled in the round pen (not tied) for about an hour while I did chores around the yard and could keep an eye on him. I didn't have time to work on him today. maybe tomorrow I will.

High Plains

Postby High Plains » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Sounds like you're off to a good re-start on this saddling thing. Seems like your approach of letting him wear that saddle around in the round pen by himself for quite a while should be a real good deal for his mind. Can't be much longer and he'll know that it's not going to hurt him.

Good for you. Post a photo of your project if you're of a mind to. :D
HP

Return to “Horses & Dogs”