Ranchers.net Bull Session

4th time under a saddle...and a wreck. Now what?

Stories and questions about our best friends.
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Right or wrong he's doing about the same as I would. :)

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:01 pm

flyingS wrote:I am probably going to start a discussion here. Whatever you do, do not tie your horse up and saddle him and leave him stand. I will explain, first off it is not safe for your horse or for you if you aren't experienced. Second your not building his confidence, your just showing him that if he throws a fit he can't get away from whatever you tie him to. Third, you are actually punishing him for doing something good. You do not want him to buck, but when he quits you don't want to punish him. Start back at the basic's and build his confidence. He obvisously was looking to you for release or he wouldn't have come to you. It would take me a long time to explain what I would do and it may not make sense to you either. If you want one that you can ride to hell and come back with the devil by the tail you better have his trust and you better make sure that he thinks whatever you ask him to do he can get done without being forced. Just my opinion and advice, it free so it's not worth much.

I agree 100%. I realize there are a million ways to get the result you are looking for with a horse, and if you know what you want and are persistant and consistant you will eventually get a result that resembles what it is you want.
I very seldom tie a horse to saddle up, and never tie a green horse for this procedure. Seems like it just gives them one more thing to worry about, and a pitching fit while tied up created by the act of saddling is dangerous for all involved and will likely cause more work going forward. I like to work in an open area, hold the shank in my left hand with enough slack to handle the saddle with both hands. If the horse moves off when I hoist the saddle I just keep bringing him back to where we started and start over. Eventually they will stand. If they duck out from under the saddle, I just stay slow and start over like nothing happened. Patience and persistence wins the day.
But there's lots of methods that work. Dad often hobbles his horses when doing this. Works for him, and he's a better horseman than me by far. But my horses generally stand better for saddling than his do :D

LCP

Postby LCP » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:21 pm

High Plains - You asked for a picture so here it is. This is my first picture I've posted on these forums so we'll see if I got it figured out.

Not the world's best photo. My iphone case is always dirty and probably scratched.

The horse didn't cost me anything. He is out of my grandma's mare, who I don't know much about, and a neighbor's stud. The neighbor has a good reputation for producing good ranch horses. Grandma's horse is a pet, not much more. So the grass was getting short in grandma's horse pasture so she had a "dispersion" and I sort of inherited this guy. Good one to learn on I figured.

A little update - I've narrowed down what bothers him. It isn't the saddle so much as the saddlING. Once I have it on and I quit fooling around with the cinch he is fine and relaxes. Next session will be lots of saddling and un-saddling I think. On a good note, I've been working with his feet a LOT and Friday I trimmed (to the best of my ability) all 4 feet with no issues at all. I was pretty excited about that. Now I probably should have a professional touch up my "work". Figured I wanted to see how things would go before paying somebody to come out and then have a disaster.
Last edited by LCP on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:24 pm

He's cute.
Don't worry about size, all we have to do is click on the picture
and it gets pretty large.

I'm glad things are coming along nicely for you both.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

NMCowboy

Postby NMCowboy » Thu May 10, 2012 9:14 pm

its not uncommon for something to happen the third or fourth ride. If he had a fit the day before, he could have been a little sore from it or he was remembering something about it that caused him to react the way he did. Start over. Throw the blankets on him and pull them off until he doesn't even give it a second thought. Then put the blanket on and set your saddle on him. Tie up the cinches and stirrups so they don't flop down and cause a problem. Again, do it until he doesn't even have a problem with it. Then start with the cinch. Just pull it against his belly with hand pressure and release it. Do this over and over till its not a problem, then pull it up a bit with the latigo. Pull it up and release it until its not an issue.

I hate tying one up to saddle. To me its better to get him really flexible both ways with his head before I start with a saddle. Pull his head around to you, hold it and set on your saddle. If he horse moves, chances are he can only move around you in a circle and you can hold your saddle on until he calms down. Pretty soon he'll realize that he isn't going anywhere and he'll stand still for you to saddle him.

Once you get the saddle on him, don't jerk it up tight. If you can, lead him around a bit then snug it up a bit more. Once the saddle is on, turn him loose in a pen and let him wear it. Its up to him to work out his differences with a saddle on his own terms.

On a really skittish horse, i have used a surcingle and let them wear it around for a while. When they get used to it, you can tie sacks, boat bumpers, or whatever onto it. It really helps to get one used to things flopping and bumping him.

Return to “Horses & Dogs”