Ranchers.net Bull Session

New Saddle

Stories and questions about our best friends.
LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

New Saddle

Postby LazyWP » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:05 pm

For those of you who DON'T know, I have been riding a Corriente saddle, or at least that is what I think it is. I ordered a new custom made one from Heritage Saddlery, in Red Lodge MT, WAYYYYYY back in November, and while Zilly was here I was kinda waiting for it to get here. Well it did, and other then all the squeaks, I love it!!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 5757
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:33 pm
Location: Western Utah Desert

Postby leanin' H » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Looks like a nice saddle. I thought you only rode gentle horses so why the buck rolls? :lol: :wink: Kiddin' as it always nice to have a spot to squeeze your knees under if things go south. I havent had a saddle with rough out leather on the seat and fenders. Let me know how ya like it. :D
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Postby LazyWP » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:45 pm

This is the third one that has had the rough out on it. The one that I am sorta retiring, I bought used, but I have had a new Corriente built rough out, and it never wore on me. The rough out makes a person stay in the saddle better, or that is my thoughts anyway. I'll keep you informed.

User avatar
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 16071
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:54 pm
Location: northern Nebraska Sandhills

Postby Soapweed » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:01 pm

LazyWP wrote:This is the third one that has had the rough out on it. The one that I am sorta retiring, I bought used, but I have had a new Corriente built rough out, and it never wore on me. The rough out makes a person stay in the saddle better, or that is my thoughts anyway. I'll keep you informed.


Nice looking saddle, Lazy WP. Your philosophy of the rough out leather making a person stay in the saddle better might be a good idea. Then if I attached velcro to the backside of my britches maybe it would attach itself to the roughtout leather, and I could stay on better yet. :cboy:

User avatar
tumbleweed_texn
Member
Member
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: Among the sagebrush and greasewood.

Postby tumbleweed_texn » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:48 am

Man LazyWP, that is a nice looking saddle. I've never owned a horse long enough to be what I consider an exceptional horse. Because of that, alot of the ponies I've ridden have always been a little rough. That rough-out is a handy thing at times. Just like Soapweed says, the thought is that is will help a man get a grip and stay aboard. Although there has been plenty of times when I was looking for an exit. That is a sharp saddle, for sure. It looks very well made and I hope it lasts you for a long time. Should you not like it though, let me know because I like it. I've been wanting to get a new custom rig by Swanke's outta Billings. Gotta wait till the Hostile Native decides to up my allowance though. A new custom kack aint cheap.

Congratulations on the new rig. That thing is sure slick.

Tex
Re-elect NoOne in 2012!!!

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 8800
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: Texas

Postby HAY MAKER » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:43 pm

that looks like a well made saddle, believe you are right about the roughout and buckin rolls, both come in mighty handy on these high strung 2 year olds, especially if some varmint comes running outa a brush pile :mad:
good luck

User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 27772
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT

Postby Faster horses » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:05 pm

HAY MAKER wrote:that looks like a well made saddle, believe you are right about the roughout and buckin rolls, both come in mighty handy on these high strung 2 year olds, especially if some varmint comes running outa a brush pile :mad:
good luck



And that, my friends, comes from a true believer. Been-there, done that
guy.
:wink: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

We're ready for another story anytime, Haymaker. You tell some
really interesting ones...and I mean that sincerely.

And I'll agree on the rough-out seat. Really makes a difference.
Now that I have my knees fixed, I hope to ride again and since I sold my Earl Twist saddle way back when, I am looking for a saddle. I really like the
look of the Wade's but for me, I don't want one. I want a light weight
saddle that is stout enough to rope something out of. (And I don't rope...)

Nice saddle, WP. I bet you will really enjoy it!!
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Postby LazyWP » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:29 am

Well, I used it to drive cattle 7 miles, then had to ride another 3 miles back to the trailer. Had to rebreak my horse too, as he didn't think I was serious about getting a cow turned. That is getting OLD!!!! I wasn't totally stove up, nor did I get unseated, so we might get along with it.

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 8800
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: Texas

Postby HAY MAKER » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Faster horses wrote:
HAY MAKER wrote:that looks like a well made saddle, believe you are right about the roughout and buckin rolls, both come in mighty handy on these high strung 2 year olds, especially if some varmint comes running outa a brush pile :mad:
good luck



And that, my friends, comes from a true believer. Been-there, done that
guy.
:wink: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

We're ready for another story anytime, Haymaker. You tell some
really interesting ones...and I mean that sincerely.

And I'll agree on the rough-out seat. Really makes a difference.
Now that I have my knees fixed, I hope to ride again and since I sold my Earl Twist saddle way back when, I am looking for a saddle. I really like the
look of the Wade's but for me, I don't want one. I want a light weight
saddle that is stout enough to rope something out of. (And I don't rope...)

Nice saddle, WP. I bet you will really enjoy it!!



FH, you oughta look at the Lady McCalls, hear they make a good light weight saddle for ladies.
good luck

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Postby LazyWP » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:58 pm

HAY MAKER wrote:
Faster horses wrote:
HAY MAKER wrote:that looks like a well made saddle, believe you are right about the roughout and buckin rolls, both come in mighty handy on these high strung 2 year olds, especially if some varmint comes running outa a brush pile :mad:
good luck



And that, my friends, comes from a true believer. Been-there, done that
guy.
:wink: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

We're ready for another story anytime, Haymaker. You tell some
really interesting ones...and I mean that sincerely.

And I'll agree on the rough-out seat. Really makes a difference.
Now that I have my knees fixed, I hope to ride again and since I sold my Earl Twist saddle way back when, I am looking for a saddle. I really like the
look of the Wade's but for me, I don't want one. I want a light weight
saddle that is stout enough to rope something out of. (And I don't rope...)

Nice saddle, WP. I bet you will really enjoy it!!



FH, you oughta look at the Lady McCalls, hear they make a good light weight saddle for ladies.
good luck


Lisa has a saddle that looks just like mine. Made by the same guy back in 2001. He cut off quite a bit of weight. With the saddle bags on I'll bet it only weighs 35 pounds. Mine is probably around 45, and my old one is closer to 60.

Bruce
Member
Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:58 pm
Location: Northern Alberta Canada

Postby Bruce » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 am

Nice looking saddle WP, if you get tired of the squeak's set it upside down on the floor and sprinkle a little baby powder into the underwork's.........
you'll smell nicer to :)

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Postby LazyWP » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:33 am

Bruce wrote:Nice looking saddle WP, if you get tired of the squeak's set it upside down on the floor and sprinkle a little baby powder into the underwork's.........
you'll smell nicer to :)


Gettin most of the squeaks worked out. I have owned it for a week, and I think I have trailed cattle for close to 150 miles so far in it. I have decided that I am going to have to add something to the horn. I am not a true slick horner, and I got blisters to prove it.


Return to “Horses & Dogs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests