Ranchers.net Bull Session

Hey Tumbleweed

Stories and questions about our best friends.
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:23 pm

I suppose some will still want that type of horse. We used to gather 20 sections and trail the cattle 10 miles to town and then ride home.

Don't do that anymore. In the day of the $100/month cowboy we had lots of help around and they grew up riding to school. Now days I run a ranch that used to have3 to 5 men working on it with lots of neighbors for the busy times of round up and shipping. Those days are gone. Most of the help you get now are professionals in some other field and want to ride on a weekend. :roll:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

tumbleweed_texn

Postby tumbleweed_texn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:25 pm

I know dang well that you have. Having been out on Powder River, you know exactly what Im talking about. That is some of the roughest, most God forsaken country I have ever seen and if I could find a lease out there, I would he gone in a minute. And now, thanks to Leanin H and Lazy WP, I am not the only goofball on this forum. Us three must be scary smart. LOL.

Tex
Re-elect NoOne in 2012!!!

tumbleweed_texn

Postby tumbleweed_texn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:31 pm

We have more than our fair share of the weekend warriors BMR. You are right, things have changed. I know a few folks around here though that absolutely hate change though and those are the crotchety old #*@&%/#? that call me to help and day labor. Heck our little place is so small that I would have to go around it 1 1/2 times to hit 30 miles. I do more riding for others though than I do here. Plus, everyone has a pretty little typey QH. I insist on being different and the type a horse I like is only appreciated in very small circles. Its usually the folks that rode the short bus that share my opinion in horseflesh.

Tex
Re-elect NoOne in 2012!!!

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher

Postby LazyWP » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 am

tumbleweed_texn wrote:We have more than our fair share of the weekend warriors BMR. You are right, things have changed. I know a few folks around here though that absolutely hate change though and those are the crotchety old #*@&%/#? that call me to help and day labor. Heck our little place is so small that I would have to go around it 1 1/2 times to hit 30 miles. I do more riding for others though than I do here. Plus, everyone has a pretty little typey QH. I insist on being different and the type a horse I like is only appreciated in very small circles. Its usually the folks that rode the short bus that share my opinion in horseflesh.

Tex

We didn't even have a 'short bus', ours was an old 68 Suburban. And even with both places, and riding the 10 miles to the other place, I would still have to ride around everything twice. :P But I still like your horse breeding program.

MsSage
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MsSage » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:21 am

texan I stole your quote about broncy horses and women LOL very true LOL
that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new Government.
Declaration of Independence

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:37 am

tumbleweed_texn wrote:I hear ya FH, but your right, my mind ain't changing. I have always liked a certain type and that's probably not gonna change. Before I got hurt a 30 mile circle was common. Now that I'm back to feeling good I'm ready to go.

The reason people nowadays don't like those Hancock type horses anymore is because folks have got a tad bit lazy and dont ride like they used to. You are right FH, if they have to make a big circle they end up using something with a motor. That's too bad too and the horse industry is worse off for it.

I have found that a little broncy and hardheaded are good traits for horses as well as women. :D Atleast a guy knows that if he's man enough, he'll still be mounted good at the end of the day. Flashy women and flashy horses usually leave ya stranded on the backside of nowhere. That is fact.

I dunno I have rode a few flashy women and horses, ain't all bad as long as you know what you are getting into.
I agree tho I like my horses spirited like I do my women, never cared much for a gentle horse or woman.
Good luck

Tex

Return to “Horses & Dogs”