Ranchers.net Bull Session

Horse Color

Stories and questions about our best friends.
PureCountry
Rancher
Rancher

Horse Color

Postby PureCountry » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi Folks, I'd like some input from others as to what I could expect for foal colors from my bay roan stud, breeding him to grey, blue roan and grullo mares. The greys I think have a 50% chance of throwing another grey, but otherwise should throw grullos and roans, correct?

He's been bred to blues, grullos and buckskins before and thrown about one third each of blue roans, bay roans and grullos. Just never had him bred to a grey before. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.
There's 2 dates in time they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean.
But what's more important is the time that is known, as that little dash there in between.

www.purecountry.ca

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Horse Color

Postby Faster horses » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:24 pm

I heard a wise horseman one time tell a breeder of 'colored horses'..."the only thing that sells better than color is quality"....FWIW...:-)
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Faster horses wrote:I heard a wise horseman one time tell a breeder of 'colored horses'..."the only thing that sells better than color is quality"....FWIW...:-)

Reminds of something my grandpa (also a widely respected horseman) used to say: "A good horse is never a bad colour"

Chimenea

Postby Chimenea » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:08 pm

PureCountry wrote:Hi Folks, I'd like some input from others as to what I could expect for foal colors from my bay roan stud, breeding him to grey, blue roan and grullo mares. The greys I think have a 50% chance of throwing another grey, but otherwise should throw grullos and roans, correct?

He's been bred to blues, grullos and buckskins before and thrown about one third each of blue roans, bay roans and grullos. Just never had him bred to a grey before. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Unless he's homozygous for the Agouti, Black (E) and Roan genes, or the mares are, you can get not only the grullos and roans you mentioned, but also black (if neither the stud nor the individual mare is homozygous for Agouti) and sorrel. And, of course, those mares that are dilute (palomino or buckskin) under the gray can throw dilute babies, as well.

Return to “Horses & Dogs”