Ranchers.net Bull Session

Wild Horses

Stories and questions about our best friends.
CattleCo

Wild Horses

Postby CattleCo » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:25 pm

Has anybody out there had any experience handling BLM Mustangs? :hat:
AND has anyone used these mares to try and breed a good bucking horse?

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:28 am

A few years back, like 2 decades, I skinned broncs for a capable horse swapper. We handled plenty freeze branded colts, and they were seldom special to ride. If you're trying to raise classy bucking horses, I don't see mustangs helping much. The bucking horses that scare me are foundation cow bred and draft crossed.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:16 am

If you want ones that terrify you -you come to Canada lol. Interesting that the two highest marked saddle bronc rides ever were both on Vern Franklin horses but twenty years apart-one of them was Doug Vold on Transport at our local rodeo the Meadow Lake Stampede.Out of all the horses I've seen bucked there I think AirWolf had to be the rankest and hardest to cover. Kingsway was just an honest horse that overpowered anybody who got on him.

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:13 pm

i just finshed a book about the initial wild horse conservation movement in this country, and just heard that there's legislation afoot to make it ok to send unadoptable/excess horses to kill plants. i have no opinion on this right now, being torn between what's best for the horses vs. the history of the program, the BLM, etc.

at any rate, i wouldn't think that wild horses would make an outstanding bucking horses....IMHO

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:30 am

I got plenty respect for those northern horses - to me there's no dif between a Mt horse and an Ab horse. On my best day I couldn't warm Airwolf up.

EJ

wild horses

Postby EJ » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:54 am

chuckie wrote:i just finshed a book about the initial wild horse conservation movement in this country, and just heard that there's legislation afoot to make it ok to send unadoptable/excess horses to kill plants. i have no opinion on this right now, being torn between what's best for the horses vs. the history of the program, the BLM, etc.

at any rate, i wouldn't think that wild horses would make an outstanding bucking horses....IMHO

Where are the kill plants now?
Northern Rancher, is right on target with those "draft" X horses.
Burch also has a good number of horses that cause night mares. It`s always been amazeing to me seeing those big borses getting in the air. The only bare back I`d ever did a head stand on was a 16+hand 1400lber. Might have been a Hollenbeck or Buckles horse. Big Bud of Korkows also gave a lot of Bare Back riders grief, cause he jerked everybody around so bad and caused more then a small amount of hang ups.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:16 am

Another thing that separates the great athletes in any sport including bucking stock is the mental strength to last for years. Not every horse or bull can take the hauling etc. It's got to bring a lump to your throat when you see them retire an old campaigner at the NFR.My son is itching to get into roughstock we have around 15 cows and just looking for the right stud to start the horse deal with. Lots of those draft X mares in our country-I had the right horse here but I dealt him off he was a percheron/belgian/arab cross and was like a big cat-wish I could get him back but a doctor bought him-Dr. Ballards.

CattleCo

Bucking horses

Postby CattleCo » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:46 am

Where are the good sales one can pick up a few good mares? I know the NFR and Blk Hills Stock Show have Sales, but I was looking for ones in other parts of the US and Canada?
Thanks for all the responses,
CattleCo :clap:

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:23 pm

IKe Sankey at Joliet, Montana or else Brian Gifford at Lovell Wyoming-I've never met these guys but from conversations with they seem like good reputable guys-they both have studs I'd buy in a minute if that border would open. You try Korkow's in North Dakota as well.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:15 pm

The next bumkin sale at Crawford Ne or Martin SD is about as good a place as anywhere. You just have to wear out pickups. I'd befriend a local horse swapper, and get his help. Horse swappers are a problem, by the time they know enough to help you, they seem to want to snide you.

Ike Sankey grew up by Wichita Ks. He may stand a stud that can help because his bucking progeny are rank. Ike ain't a real benevolent sort however.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:12 pm

Brad you haven't been around Shane Franklin much he makes Ike look like the Good Humour man lol. Temperment aside both men have horses that can buck.

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:50 pm

ok, you guys have me intrigued (sp?). i have a couple of questions for you because i know NOTHING (repeat, NOTHING) about rodeo broncs. so here's you all's opportunity to straighten me out...!

i get where the draft cross gives 'em the muscle to really put a hard twist/pounding on a rider, but where does a mustang give them anything but just "tough"? or is that exactly what they give 'em?

and then, what ever did happen to all those mares in canada when the synthetic what-ever-it-was caused the big drop in horse values? i have customer that called me at the time and told me that if i wanted to buy some high-quality horses cheap, it was then. of course, i had no more money then than now, so i couldn't take advantage of it...

Return to “Horses & Dogs”