Ranchers.net Bull Session

Outdoor Pig pictures

Any topic that doesn't fit in one of the other Boards.
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:23 am

'Subdued?" NR?

I didn't think there was one thing subdued about you!
This place is full of suprises!!!!

Merry Christmas!
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:18 pm

Heck I'm quiet as a dead pig-my wife pokes me with a stick every now and then to make sure I'm still breathing. But my girls say I'm silly lol.

Judith
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Judith » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:06 pm

"been in there" Northern???? There is a fairly good chance I would have started it :) 8) :P :twisted: Quiet as a dead pig huh? Mrs Greg???? You've met the wee laddie, would "quiet" be an adjective you would use :) Shy is probably another one right :) :P
Hope springs a kernel "it's an old farmers saying" quote by Denny Krane

Mrs.Greg
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mrs.Greg » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:54 am

Judith wrote:"been in there" Northern???? There is a fairly good chance I would have started it :) 8) :P :twisted: Quiet as a dead pig huh? Mrs Greg???? You've met the wee laddie, would "quiet" be an adjective you would use :) Shy is probably another one right :) :P
I'm not giving out NR's secrets but I think you'd all be surprised at how quiet he really is...and I mean that in the nicest way :)

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Well I fooled one lady lol. But ty for the compliment-I can behave at times it seems lol. Actually I'm shy as they come :wink:

RodeoFoto

Postby RodeoFoto » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Wow those are neat photos!

I have never seen a 'farrowing hut' before! TOO KEWL!
Louise Carduner
www.RodeoFoto.com

andybob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby andybob » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:22 pm

Rodeo, those are the old style farrowing huts, but still the most popular.
I have pictures of several types that we had sucess with, I just struggle to scan them and post on the board, when the kids visit at Christmas I get some experenced help with the finer points of computer use!
Old story, you can get the boy out of the bush, you can't get the bush out of the boy!

dennybob

Postby dennybob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:07 am

Say andybob, forgive this late addition to this thread but, I see you have a smallish pen set up outside the farrowing hut. How does that work? Looks like small pigs inside there but, how do they get out? Or is that the idea to keep them in? How does the mother nurse them in there? I see in some photos you have that little box in front of the door to the furrowing house and in others you have it off to the side and against the wall of the furrowing house. Just real curious (read nosy) how does it all work? Thanks

andybob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby andybob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:28 am

dennybob wrote:Say andybob, forgive this late addition to this thread but, I see you have a smallish pen set up outside the farrowing hut. How does that work? Looks like small pigs inside there but, how do they get out? Or is that the idea to keep them in? How does the mother nurse them in there? I see in some photos you have that little box in front of the door to the furrowing house and in others you have it off to the side and against the wall of the furrowing house. Just real curious (read nosy) how does it all work? Thanks

The detachable fenders are to keep the piglets in fir the first week, this prevents the piglets walking off and getting lost in the first few days when they have no sense of direction, keeping them confined to the hut area reduces the chance of predators and crows from illing piglets as the mother is better able to protct them in a confined space. In one picture the fender has been put next to the hut and the litter confined so that they can be processed where the stockman can wor in relative safety, you don't want to be caught by an agressive mother in the hut! As each piglet is processed, they are put bac into the hut so mom has a reason to go back to the hut rather than harass the stockman.
Some more pictures on Ranchers; http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... g+pictures

dennybob

Postby dennybob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:49 am

Thank you andybob. Do you have plans for these buildings you would be willing to share oris this a trade secret? My operation is not as out in the open as your. We have our pigs (Large Blacks) on pasture but they have access to forest as well. However I would like to expand their pastures and add some paddocks. The type buildings you have seem to be so much more mobile and easily set up then something I would need to drag along behind or a permanent structure that would require the pigs to travel too each day.

andybob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby andybob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:59 pm

There are a number of manufacturers in the UK Booth being the oldest;

http://www.pigequipment.co.uk/index.asp?pageID=101

We have designed and built several of our own huts, mainly from marine ply, I run some wild boar crosses in the woods every year to clean up the acorns, then process them for the Christmas market.

Return to “Everything Else”