Ranchers.net Bull Session

Outdoor Pig pictures

Any topic that doesn't fit in one of the other Boards.
nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:46 am

Northern Rancher wrote:Contrary to popular belief bears aren't that bad to be around-I suppose they'd kill a pig if they were hard pressed but most would rather eat berries from what I've seen. In the spring they graze in the meadows just like cattle-trying to get their stomachs back in order after hibernating. If a guy went a big scalepasture hog deal like that I'd run some Pyreness dogs with them to keep the yotes out. Mind you any electric fence that can keep pigs in would keep any predators we have out. Back in the day that home grown pork supplemented with skim milk was yummy stuff. I don't really miss milking cows that much though.

I remember reading a pioneer account in either Washington or Oregon where they'd let their pigs run wild in the woods and hated hearing the scream of one in the night when a bear took it.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:30 pm

well it's not quite that pioneer here any more-we've even got the talking pitcher boxes like in the big cities.

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:05 pm

Northern Rancher wrote:well it's not quite that pioneer here any more-we've even got the talking pitcher boxes like in the big cities.

:lol: :lol: I didn't mean to imply you were pioneering still, just responding to your statement that bear don't seem to bother pigs. Maybe it is the type of bear like a grizzly more than a black bear. I don't know, just guessing.

andybob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby andybob » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:38 pm

Northern Rancher, the sows are Landrace cross Duroc, Large White terminal boars are used. When I eventually leave the company I will test the profitability of Tamworth in the woods, selling to a niche market, untill then, I have a long way to go building up my new Tuli herd.
Jinglebob, I have used pigs to clear and fertilise land behind electric fencing for vegetables and once to establish stargrass pastures for a friends dairy herd in South Africa.
NR, I have kept outdoor pigs in several variations of this system, on my farm in Rhodesia, I had leopards, African lynx, jackals and hyienas. all were controlled with electric netting type fences, birds after piglets were a bigger threat, always keep a shotgun on hand.
In England, domestic dogs, foxes and ravens (protected) were a threat, the European fox is the only non avian preditor that managed to get through the defences.
Here, no bears nearby,bobcats foxes and coyotes are kept out by perimeter fences, enough voltage should keep out bears, feral pigs are a bigger threat as they harbour diseases.

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:06 pm

andybob wrote:Northern Rancher, the sows are Landrace cross Duroc, Large White terminal boars are used. When I eventually leave the company I will test the profitability of Tamworth in the woods, selling to a niche market, untill then, I have a long way to go building up my new Tuli herd.
Jinglebob, I have used pigs to clear and fertilise land behind electric fencing for vegetables and once to establish stargrass pastures for a friends dairy herd in South Africa.
NR, I have kept outdoor pigs in several variations of this system, on my farm in Rhodesia, I had leopards, African lynx, jackals and hyienas. all were controlled with electric netting type fences, birds after piglets were a bigger threat, always keep a shotgun on hand.
In England, domestic dogs, foxes and ravens (protected) were a threat, the European fox is the only non avian preditor that managed to get through the defences.
Here, no bears nearby,bobcats foxes and coyotes are kept out by perimeter fences, enough voltage should keep out bears, feral pigs are a bigger threat as they harbour diseases.

this is so interesting- how high did the fencing have to be to keep out leopards?!

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:19 pm

Really interesting Andybob-- looks like that is some pork I would like eating... After seeing some of the hothouses that were operating up here with the cubicle pigs, I lost a lot of my appetite for pork... Those confined hogs didn't look like they had any solid muscle on them at all- as they never hardly moved....Most have gone belly-up--except some of the Hoot colonies are now using confined feeding...

I know when Grandpa used to raise a few hogs for home use, he had about 10 acres fenced in that he ran a few sows on-- give them some room to move around...And when the kids were raising everything under the sun for 4-H they used to excercise their feeders every day- made them firm up better....And they got some carcass of merit awards...

andybob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby andybob » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:40 pm

NR, leopards can jump quite high up trees and rocks, and climb security fences, I used two rolls of 4 ft mesh to give 8 ft of mesh fencing, then topped with two more hot wires offset at 30degrees to the verticle outward. They never tried this fence though frequently went over security fencing of similar height, topped with barbed wire, taking pets from gardens, dogs being a favourite.

Judith
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Judith » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:35 pm

Tamworths are great if you want pigs to move earth for you. But if you want a pasture pig get the Large blacks. They are good grazers and are very easy to work with. I hated the Tams, just too hyper and wrecked absolutely everything.On the plus side they are great foraging animals. Just depends on what you want your pigs to do for you. If I ever get pigs again, I'm going with the blacks again. Really hard to find though as they are still heritage status. I know there is a fella in Alberta with them and there are quite a few breeders is the States.
Hope springs a kernel "it's an old farmers saying" quote by Denny Krane

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:30 pm

The last boar I had was a Large English Black-he was a monster sized hog-we bought some Tams frtom a guy in Alta and they were a write off. One of the funnest saturdays I spent involved a large amount of vodka-six inches of fresh snow and a lets see who can ride the boar the farthest bet lol.

Judith
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Judith » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:53 am

Pictures NR? :) How come ya never have the flippin camera when a bunch of gents are imbibing on spirits???? Must have been funnier n heck!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO Was that loud enough for our caffinated energizer bunny :) She's probably out checking the wranglers :)
Hope springs a kernel "it's an old farmers saying" quote by Denny Krane

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:49 am

AH HA, Judith. You've caught it too!!!!!

Way to go!!!!!!!!! :P :wink:
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:13 am

I prefer a subdued YEEEHAWWWWW when I'm in the festive spirit-you'd of been in there I'm sure Judith -it was fun till the boar figured out he could rub us off running through the lilac hedge.

Return to “Everything Else”