Ranchers.net Bull Session

speaking of gardens

Any topic that doesn't fit in one of the other Boards.
katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:41 pm

Hi Maple Leaf, We tried the hot wire thing and it didnt work. I'm joking when I ask do you suppose canadian coons are differant!!!! Whats with the curly fur??? I'm blond or is it gray???? :wink:

Maple Leaf Angus
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Maple Leaf Angus » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:57 pm

The first time we tried it , it didn't work for us either. What I tried the next year was to run two strands about 3 or 4 " apart around the patch; one was hooked to the hot side of the fencer like normal and the other was hooked to the ground side. I think it was just a matter of maikg sure that they were grounded and son of a gun it worked for us. Before that, it seemed hopeless to try to beat them to it.

Does it actually help to plant it in sunflowers?

Maple Leaf Angus
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Maple Leaf Angus » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:01 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot the curly hair part.

If your electricity runs on alternating current, the coons would get curly hair when they get zapped. If you run on direct current, it just gives them a straight perm. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:09 pm

Maple Leaf Angus wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot the curly hair part.

If your electricity runs on alternating current, the coons would get curly hair when they get zapped. If you run on direct current, it just gives them a straight perm. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Coons down here all have curly hair. :wink:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Maple Leaf Angus
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Maple Leaf Angus » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:14 pm

Mike wrote:
Maple Leaf Angus wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot the curly hair part.

Coons down here all have curly hair. :wink:

Bite yer tongue, buddy!

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:55 am

Maple Leaf, You're a Hoot!! :D :D Yes it works to plant in sunflowers. Flowers arn't a big coon drawer or deer either. I will see about the hot wire. We put a radio out there too, but it didn't help. The coons even tore up our indian corn. :mad:
Hope Mike is eating that cucumber for me....And a juicy home grown tomato....

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:22 pm

Celebritys are the type of mater that makes all at once so you get plenty to can all at once, they are good too. I also plant Parks Whopper that makes great maters and makes all summer.
My sweet corn should be ready next week. I am eating some young field corn in the mean time.

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:40 pm

just got in from checking me garden and pulling the few weeds that are there and despite getting such a LATE (no thanks to the weather) start, the corn and potatoes are doing great!!!! the strawberries need some help, but the rhubarb (that was given to me by some wonderful people) is growing OUT OF CONTROL :wink: :wink: The peonies i planted and the iris i planted last year are doing great, also!! My columbines are coming up and the lilac bushes are leafing out :D My 9 year old is babying the sugar maple (only a baby at 3' tall) he planted last week!! things here are sure greening up and i hope the rest of you are having such good luck!!
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!
Never forget!

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:28 am

I plant a few cherry tomato plants because they produce early and often and my kidsreally like them. Celebrity is as good as it gets, but I like roma tomatoes on Mexicn food.

Mike, funny $#it

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:40 pm

We were away for 5 days (don't like leaving my "babies" during growing season) and came back to lots of green tomatoes (plum, cherry, Rutgers and some others I can't remember), tiny eggplants and squash, cucs ready to pick and tons of sweet snowpeas.
Also, the Japanese Beetles have resurrected themselves and are eating rhubarb leaves, grapes and cherry tree leaves :mad: Pole beans really seem to attract them so this year I've only planted bush beans.

Trying unsuccessfully to convince the catbird not to tangle in the blueberry netting. The kitty took a flying leap toward the blueberries and rebounded from the netting, funny to watch, just like off a trampoline. But he is a slow learner.

Well, rhubarb pie tonight for my father-in-law and we might try Faster Horses' cake/coke recipe if she survived her test baking!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:35 pm

You know what? It is VERY GOOD. YUMMMMY, in fact.

The cake mix I used was Double Pudding and the next time I will try just a basic cake mix. I will make it again~hard to leave out any ingredients for one thing... :wink:

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:37 pm

BTW, I found out it is called "Pop and Powder Cake."

Return to “Everything Else”