Ranchers.net Bull Session

How's the weather your way????

Any topic that doesn't fit in one of the other Boards.
Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:35 pm

Manitoba Rancher- More on the way-- Thunderstorm this morning gave us .15 more-- then the storms rolled in again tonite and gave us another .35--Up north we got over an inch -But some areas again got 2-3".....All headed northeast toward you...

Good news is that the 15 day long range forecast is predicting this pattern is done and we will get a couple of dry weeks and temps in the 80's- if the ground ever drys out we can get to haying...

Hope you start drying out........

Manitoba_Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Manitoba_Rancher » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:43 pm

Thanks OT,

Its so darn wet here now that the cows we have left in the small pasture that we are still feeding, we have to keep the 4-wheel drive tractor sitting standby to pull the MFD chore tractor out when we get stuck. Tonite we had to pull it out after we bellied the chore tractor out. The ground is saturated. We are to the point where we wont be able to get to those cows for water. Talked with an agrologist this morning and he said a lot of crops in this area are almost a write off now as the plant cant handle growing in such saturated soil. This next rain could be the finish of our crops. There a lot of people in this area that are in the same boat. I think we should switch and start growing rice!!! :shock:
Canadian Beef.... A supreme delicious product!

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:54 pm

Manitoba_Rancher wrote:Thanks OT,

Its so darn wet here now that the cows we have left in the small pasture that we are still feeding, we have to keep the 4-wheel drive tractor sitting standby to pull the MFD chore tractor out when we get stuck. Tonite we had to pull it out after we bellied the chore tractor out. The ground is saturated. We are to the point where we wont be able to get to those cows for water. Talked with an agrologist this morning and he said a lot of crops in this area are almost a write off now as the plant cant handle growing in such saturated soil. This next rain could be the finish of our crops. There a lot of people in this area that are in the same boat. I think we should switch and start growing rice!!! :shock:

Feast or Famine- drought or deluge-never seems to be a happy medium...Something for thought- in years past when we ended up with late seeding we never went wrong with oats- if nothing else it could always be hayed.......

I heard on the radio the other day where they were saying because of the weather that Canada was going to be way down on wheat harvest this year- possibly 5-10% below normal :???: .... Sure hasn't shown up in wheat prices tho as down here they have been going down $.05-15 a day for the last few days.......

Manitoba_Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Manitoba_Rancher » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:02 am

Theres a pile of unseeded acres here in Manitoba and what did get in the ground was just mudded in. Canola is the same way dropped $30 per tonne for fall futures in a few days......Think traders are taking advantage of the situation. :roll:
Canadian Beef.... A supreme delicious product!

Cowgal

Hello

Postby Cowgal » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:50 am

Goodmorning all,
Well the sun is not out, more rain on the way! Keeps the pesty flies at bay though! Looks pretty ominous to the West.
We used to be strickly grain farmers, moved to higher ground after the flood in 97 and now are mainly into cattle. Still crop a bit though. Has anyone grown corn for their cows to graze in fall and winter? We were thinking about giving it a whirl.

Hey Manitoba Rancher are you in the Red River Valley?

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:05 am

Howdy all! We have had at least 4 inches of rain in the last 3 days. My husband went to town yesterday and visited here and there as he ran errands. Last night he said to me, "Near as I can tell, I'm the only one that is glad it is still raining!"

mlsfarms

Postby mlsfarms » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:29 pm

Just heard that in northcentral SD, 9" fell in an already wet spot, just about ruins crop and hay for this year. Cattle can't find the grass for the water. Seems like it comes too much at once 3"+ to an already wet spot.

Cowgal

Rain

Postby Cowgal » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:20 am

Goodmorning folks. Does anybody need a cat or dog? Its been raining them since early yesterday. I think I am either going to sprout feathers like a duck or gills and swim away?!?!
Supposed to clear up this afternoon.......I hope anyhow!

Kids start summer holidays today here in MB....................... I have a girl 8, boy 7, girl 5 and boy 18 months. Lots of rock pickers for the summer! LOL!!!

:wink: Try to stay dry and cheerful!

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:56 am

Our son got out of school on May 18th. He has enjoyed his break from school, and we have enjoyed his company (plus all the work he has helped us to do :wink: ). When do your kids have to go back to school?

Cowgal

Soapweed

Postby Cowgal » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:23 am

Goodmorning Soapweed! Thats an interesting name! Is it a place? Our kids go back the first week of September. I hope we get some good beach weather! Otherwise my husband and I have fencing, clearing bush, buliding compounds and lots of other fun stuff to too! LOL!!!

You ride horses?

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Soapweed

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:55 pm

Cowgal wrote:Goodmorning Soapweed! Thats an interesting name! Is it a place? Our kids go back the first week of September. I hope we get some good beach weather! Otherwise my husband and I have fencing, clearing bush, buliding compounds and lots of other fun stuff to too! LOL!!!

You ride horses?

Yea Soapweed do you ride horses? :wink: :wink: :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Jessie

Postby Jessie » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:44 pm

Yikes DH (darlin husband) was talking to another cattle guy who was looking for 15 of his cows. The electric fence was under water so off they wandered. Water is getting so bad that he was traveling by boat. The rest of the herd that was in the pasture look like they are on a island. The sun has just come out here.
:shock:

Return to “Everything Else”