Ranchers.net Bull Session

the stanford prison experiment

Any topic that doesn't fit in one of the other Boards.
beethoven

the stanford prison experiment

Postby beethoven » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Nature never deceives us; it is we who deceive ourselves. Jean-Jacques Rousseau
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Jo ... Galbraith/
Panem et circensis

MsSage
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MsSage » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Ya know correctional officers do a very hard job. If you ask any police/sheriff if they would work down in the pods they will tell you VERY FAST not no but Hail NO.
Yes part of the "experiment" is correct BUT to paint with such a wide brush only puts co's under more stress and negitive sterotype.
If you want to "call attention" to the problems of working in a prison how about working a week in one. Hail depending on the week you could only work 3 days. At the most it will be 4 unless you want to work Over time. Most shifts are 12 hours but really come out to 13.5-15.
You will have to deal with drug addicts who are either high or coming down looking for their next fix...YES there are drugs in prison. So have issues with dealing with anger...LOL they want to do what they want WHEN THEY want to NOT when it is schedualed or if they are even allowed. You can deal with drunks who can and do get poisoned and your the one who has to do cpr .....have you ever seen someone who dies/ dying from drug or achohol poisoning? They foam at the mouth and have convoltions. You had also better have atleast 2 other officers watching your back or you will end up laying next to the inmate.

Now you have to deal with the public who thinks your nothing more than a hired thug who takes great delight in bullying misunderstood young men.

For all the officers out there who keep these convicted felons where they belong and YOU safe do a bit more checking and talk to a few CO's who have walked the runs and keep going back to keep your family safe.
that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new Government.
Declaration of Independence

beethoven

Postby beethoven » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:04 am

have you ever read animal farm?

Panem et circensis

MsSage
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MsSage » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:38 am

It was required reading when I went to High School along with Slaughterhouse-Five, and Fahrenheit 451.

But I also know that its a persons CHOICE how to act and react.
All you have to do is THINK and look around to see the big picture.
that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new Government.

beethoven

Postby beethoven » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:10 am

how people act and react is sometimes influenced by the context. that is the point here. how people behave by themselves vs. in small groups, in society, it may be situational. or not.

some people may be more or less prone to situational ethics or values in their conduct or behaviour, esp. in some environments where one has more power and the other, less.

Panem et circensis

MsSage
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MsSage » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 am

aaaahhhhh yeah, so if people are in a situation and others are doing wrong it relives them of personal responsiblity so they can do the same even knowing its wrong............

beethoven

Postby beethoven » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:30 am

perhaps you are missing the point, i cant be sure.

what works for you may not work for me. sarcasm on serious subjects is not my thing.

Panem et circensis

MsSage
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MsSage » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:01 am

I get the point very well.
I am not being sarcastic.
I know my job and I know what gets officers hurt. I have seen many officers walked off due to "situational ethics" I have seen officers beat down for power trips. I have also seen harden long time convicts protect officers.

It takes a very strong ethical person to be a good officer and there are many who walk the runs everyday. Those who can not remain consistant even in the face of constant influence by master manipulators put officers and the public in danger.

You are using a wide brush and excusses to allow the removal of personal responsiblity.

When you have sworn to protect life you have a greater responsiblity and have to keep constant vigil on your actions and put yourself aside.
This is not some game or experiment. There are real life consequences to your actions......it could cost someone thier life.

beethoven

Postby beethoven » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:20 am

people who mind their manners get along much better.

what i may feel about morals or ethics hasnt been stated as you imply.

go read elsewhere.

Panem et circensis

C-E

Postby C-E » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:26 pm

HeI personally find this study a joke. How can you compare this to a real prison? Gaurds have no training and get to make their own rules with no one to answer to. The only "consultant" is an ex-con. I do realize a lot of things changed between the time this study was conducted and the time I was a correctional officer (2005-2008), which greatly improved prisoner rights and treatment. To me this study is about power management, only prison correlation I see is bars, uniforms and numbers.

CO's have a hard and thankless job. And are often misunderstood (most people only see the inside of a prison on tv.) There are bad gaurds however they are weeded out very fast and are loathed by good gaurds. I believe anyone who wants to criticize CO's should spend an 8 hour shift in uniform on the yard.

I also find it very funny you post on a public forum yet when someone disagrees with you, your feelings get hurt and you tell them to "go read elsewhere"

beethoven

Postby beethoven » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:20 am

you assume very much.

Panem et circensis

burnt
Rancher
Rancher

Postby burnt » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:36 am

beethoven wrote:you assume very much.

And the "study" doesn't? :lol:
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root". Henry D. Thoreau.

Return to “Everything Else”