Ranchers.net Bull Session

the stanford prison experiment

Any topic that doesn't fit in one of the other Boards.
the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:40 am

Mr. Lilly has been a correctional officer for almost 19 years now. The main thing he's learned thru out this whole experience is...."if you treat them as you would want to be treated, no matter what they are in there for, then everthing works out a whole lot better" Kinda has the ring of....."Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" doesnt it? Does he give preferencial treatment...? NO he does not.... everyone has to follow the rules. He just treats them all as people instead of a number. He's had a few run ins over the years, but nothing major, even tho he worked for years in the segregation (where alot of the higher up gang members are kept along with the worst of the worst in prison) Yes in that department things are done differently. On a daily basis inmates chunk on you.....along with numerous other nasty stuff. He worked seg for 9 years I think it was.... He went from there to the trustee camp....big difference there. Now he supervises inmates that work in the machine shop. Actually likes his position now, but will be real glad when another 13 or so months have passed and he has his 20 years in. Will be the day he leaves with full retirement.

What alot of people find hard to believe is....prison officers don't carry billy clubs, or guns. They are un armed. (yes picket guards on the corners of the buildings have guns, mounted guards with inmates working out in the fields have guns, and the guys in the buses that transport them from one place to another have a gun) But other than those....there are no officers inside the prison with a gun.

I did read the 'study' posted....and personally think it was not in any way shape or form an accurate study since none of the 'officers' were trained. There were alot of things that they did to the inmates that is not 'standard proceedure'(at least not now days when someone enters a prison facility) maybe it was back then...... But it more reminds me of the "reality" shows that I've seen where 10 people are put together in a house and they become totally different, arguing, fighting, just downright nasty to each other.
Life is a roller coaster.
You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

C-E

Postby C-E » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Just what exactly do I assume?

burnt
Rancher
Rancher

Postby burnt » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:20 pm

the_jersey_lilly_2000 wrote:,..... But it more reminds me of the "reality" shows that I've seen where 10 people are put together in a house and they become totally different, arguing, fighting, just downright nasty to each other.

From reading how the experiment was set up and conducted, it was indeed closer to a "reality show" than a scientific experiment. Practically worthless, really, in demonstrating anything.
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root". Henry D. Thoreau.

kris

Postby kris » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:13 am

Lilly---I am with you!!! My dad (RIP, pappy!!) was a Correctional Officer at Montana's maximum security facility for 23 years before he was forced into retirement due to health reasons!! He was there the day of the 1991 riot that left 5 inmates dead, numerous injured and a half a dozen other officers (who were holed up for their own safety) emotionally scarred!! He was assaulted, spit on, called names, had feces flung his way.....i could go on and on and on and on!!! He stayed with the job for 23 years because it was good, honest, hard work that paid the mortgage and kept food in the bellies of his kids!! Yes, he worked with other officers who tried to live up to the image of a "thug", but most were honest men and women who just wanted to do their job and go home to their families at the end of the shift!! My dad was a good, fair, honest man who also lived by the motto "do unto others...."....he did not believe that his job was to "punish" the inmate!! He was simply there to make sure they stayed where they belonged....behind bars!! He was firm, fair and consistent with the inmates and eventually earned their respect! Yes, you have "bad apples" in EACH AND EVERY OCCUPATION (this nurse has seen her fair share of these rotten fruit), but the rest should NOT be judged by the few!!! Mr Lilly---keep your chin up and stay the course!!! Lilly----be proud of the fact that your man HAS a job (not something that everyone can claim in this economy) and that he does it well and fairly!!!!
Where one door closes, another one opens....and happiness walks right in!!!

beethoven

40 yrs on

Postby beethoven » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:39 am

Nature never deceives us; it is we who deceive ourselves. Jean-Jacques Rousseau
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Jo ... Galbraith/
Panem et circensis

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:51 am

Lilly, is Mr. Lilly a month or two from retirement????
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Return to “Everything Else”