Ranchers.net Bull Session

This week in Christian History

Any topic that doesn't fit in one of the other Boards.
balestabber

Postby balestabber » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:25 am

some of this is pretty deep for me yet.and i don't swim.
but my oldest boy has all the books and video series of 'LOTR' and thinks their the best.
as i am down by Branson now,i heard that Jimmy Bakker was the first to discover television worship.
but i hear alot down here.
Last edited by balestabber on Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

balestabber

Postby balestabber » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:32 pm

after returning from church and reading more about the history on this site.I will agree with the radio airwaves,but the new television worship,the live streaming,and new technology is something to ponder on.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:04 pm

balestabber wrote:after returning from church and reading more about the history on this site.I will agree with the radio airwaves,but the new television worship,the live streaming,and new technology is something to ponder on.

IMO, TV evangelists have lost sight of everything except lining their own pockets.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

miocene

Postby miocene » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:18 pm

IT Seems funny to me that these media evangelists all want people to give their money to the lord but give out their address i question how much money actualy makes it way to do the work of god.?these peoplr are no better than the harri krishnas that work the airports.

TexasBred
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:58 am

gcreekrch wrote:
balestabber wrote:after returning from church and reading more about the history on this site.I will agree with the radio airwaves,but the new television worship,the live streaming,and new technology is something to ponder on.

IMO, TV evangelists have lost sight of everything except lining their own pockets.

Have to agree with you on this gc...These "man made" churches scare the hound out of me.

Like most everything else, technology can be used for good and bad. Educaton has to be one of the greatest steps forward for Christianity as a whole, as people are not only more able to better understand what is being preached but to also own and read sacred scripture.
Nothing but a beggar trying to show other beggars where I found bread.

burnt
Rancher
Rancher

Postby burnt » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:55 am

I'm not sure when the present day practice of "church" started, such as a lot of people sitting in rows, facing one direction, spending most of their time listening to one person speak. And when that one person loses sight of the original objective, then there is no telling how far wrong things can go.

Such cases are what give the faith a bad reputation.

I'm not saying that it is wrong to meet in such a manner. Rather, it points out the need to do as TexasBred suggested and take personal responsibility for one's spiritual development. That often is then demonstrated within the context of a caring community that impacts those around them by meeting whatever needs they may encounter.

So easy to say, so hard to do! And surely not in the glitzy style of some TV evangelists.
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root". Henry D. Thoreau.

TexasBred
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:39 pm

burnt wrote:I'm not sure when the present day practice of "church" started, such as a lot of people sitting in rows, facing one direction, spending most of their time listening to one person speak. And when that one person loses sight of the original objective, then there is no telling how far wrong things can go.

Such cases are what give the faith a bad reputation.

I'm not saying that it is wrong to meet in such a manner. Rather, it points out the need to do as TexasBred suggested and take personal responsibility for one's spiritual development. That often is then demonstrated within the context of a caring community that impacts those around them by meeting whatever needs they may encounter.

So easy to say, so hard to do! And surely not in the glitzy style of some TV evangelists.

I'm sure pews and things came in as a convenience to all. The bible speaks of Paul (I think) preaching all night or well into the nights so you have to assume you have one authoritative teacher and a group of listeners being instructed in the word. People still stand in Greek Orthodox Churches Im told. We sit for instruction, stand for praise and the reading of the gospel and kneel for prayer.

balestabber

Postby balestabber » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:12 am

in Acts,speaking of Saul and and Barnabas,it mentions 'churches' in plural form for the first time.Acts 9:31 speaks of churches being multiplied.

seems a church on every corner here,sometimes 4 or 5 in a small town.the old churches have some history to them tho.

per
Rancher
Rancher

Postby per » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:03 am

Interesting conversation. 15 years ago we outgrew our little 100 plus year old church building. There were grandiose plans to sell it and build and new one. Every time we came up with the plan God through a road block in front of it. We spent several years worshiping in schools, an old grocery store and a scout hall. Eventually we were pointed in the right direction and built a new building. We have since expanded it a couple of times and are moving to a third service. All the services have the same preaching but different style of music etc. There is activity every night of the week there now and there are small home groups that meet weekly on various nights. Also if you miss the service one Sunday it is available the next day on the Internet.

God is Good.

TexasBred
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:42 pm

balestabber wrote:in Acts,speaking of Saul and and Barnabas,it mentions 'churches' in plural form for the first time.Acts 9:31 speaks of churches being multiplied.

seems a church on every corner here,sometimes 4 or 5 in a small town.the old churches have some history to them tho.

All the early christian churches were founded by the apostles and their successors and on that authority. Didn't have that "church on every corner" thing like today. Nor the congregation splitting down the middle and two churches forming both built on anger and stubborness.

balestabber

Postby balestabber » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 pm

:nod: ,,,,yep,,,a good point and very true.

one local church in this area claims to have been established over a hundred years ago.with an elderly member nearly 100 years old.

they had a list of all the pastors and how many years they served.
the most yrs served at one time was 6---in a 100 yr time span. the church had split several times.

burnt
Rancher
Rancher

Postby burnt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:05 pm

TexasBred wrote:
balestabber wrote:in Acts,speaking of Saul and and Barnabas,it mentions 'churches' in plural form for the first time.Acts 9:31 speaks of churches being multiplied.

All the early christian churches were founded by the apostles and their successors and on that authority. Didn't have that "church on every corner" thing like today. Nor the congregation splitting down the middle and two churches forming both built on anger and stubborness.

MOSTLY true! The Great Schism of 1054 represented a bit of a split! :? Mutual excommunication sounds at least a little bit angry!
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root". Henry D. Thoreau.

Return to “Everything Else”