Ranchers.net Bull Session

And the winner is...

Come on, send in your entry!
Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:42 pm

We thought (for all it's worth) the photo #6, with the wood fire would have been an AWESOME picture in black and white! If you have a computer and a digital camera and/or scanner, you can do so many things to pictures to make them look terrific. Modern technology has made us pretty lazy, the only thing the computer can't fix is an out of focus pic (fuzzy) or make things look big without distorting the picture. It is still our responsibility to try to take these pics with the best of our ability, the better they turn out, the better the 'puter can mess with them. I remember dad with his polaroid (1960's vintage), we had to be absolutely still to get the pic to turn out. I think with sw's pic of the roper (#3) , you can see the loop he has on a calf. A person wanting to learn to rope should look at this pic and see how it's done. I think this is why sw thought this pic was great, and I have to agree with him.

If ya never noticed, the palomino horse in # 4 is the same horse sw is roping off in #5. Gotta make you guys observant!! :D :wink: :wink:
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

Tumbleweed

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:40 am

Hanta Yo congratulations on your winning photo, it looked pretty artistic and you sure captured the struggle that goes on over and over at the brandings in the spring.
Picture #6 was one I submitted of a branding here at home. Funny you mentioned thinking it would have been even better black and white. I had a notion to do that but decided not to because I liked the orange glow of the fire. Think just out of curiosity I'll give it a try though. I prefer the sound and smell of a wood fire to the roar of a propane stove. I don't sort the cows off of the calves but let them come out of the corral if they want to while we brand. In that photo a loop on the end of a rope was tied to an inner tube staked to the ground, slipped over the front leg of the calves as they were drug past. Since nordforks showed up I've used them on the end of the rope staked to the ground. They are easy on and easy off. The friends, neighbors and family that helped me tend to be a little older and stove up some and doing it this way a bunch of old stove up guys can brand a lot of calves with out getting over worked or any more stove up. Don't know if you noticed but thats jinglebob on the bay horse holding a calf. The guy branding the calf is smalltime and the fellow near the fire with the carhart coat and hat used to post under the name of Sherlock back when people were trying to figure out who lonewolf was.

greg
Rancher
Rancher

Postby greg » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:26 am

Liked ALL the pics, was a hard choice :???:Congrates Hanta well deserved :!:

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:24 am

Tumbleweed wrote:Hanta Yo congratulations on your winning photo, it looked pretty artistic and you sure captured the struggle that goes on over and over at the brandings in the spring.
Picture #6 was one I submitted of a branding here at home. Funny you mentioned thinking it would have been even better black and white. I had a notion to do that but decided not to because I liked the orange glow of the fire. Think just out of curiosity I'll give it a try though. I prefer the sound and smell of a wood fire to the roar of a propane stove. I don't sort the cows off of the calves but let them come out of the corral if they want to while we brand. In that photo a loop on the end of a rope was tied to an inner tube staked to the ground, slipped over the front leg of the calves as they were drug past. Since nordforks showed up I've used them on the end of the rope staked to the ground. They are easy on and easy off. The friends, neighbors and family that helped me tend to be a little older and stove up some and doing it this way a bunch of old stove up guys can brand a lot of calves with out getting over worked or any more stove up. Don't know if you noticed but thats jinglebob on the bay horse holding a calf. The guy branding the calf is smalltime and the fellow near the fire with the carhart coat and hat used to post under the name of Sherlock back when people were trying to figure out who lonewolf was.

Thanks, Tumbleweed, I see your point with the fire! Maybe sepia tone?
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.

I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'

-Ronald Reagan

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:40 am

I'm happy everything in the contest went according to plan. It is a big responsibility, I can tell you, even with only 7 photos.

Knowing we are all among friends doing this sure helps, because as we get more photos there might be mishaps, mix-ups, screw-ups, Murphy's Law and all that. :wink:

So remember, we are doing the best we can. If a mistake occurs, it will not be intentional.

Thanks, all!

cert

Postby cert » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:06 pm

Hey Tumbleweed,

How bout this, the best of black and white and the orange fire.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:05 pm

cert, that is totally awesome. TOTALLY! That photo would have WON for sure!

Why don't you take the contest over?

You are so knowledgeable while I just bumble along. I mean that sincerely!! I would feel much better knowing you were in charge. I will help if need be.

Good, we'll count on that then!
All photo entries go to cert!

cert

Postby cert » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:13 pm

Faster horses wrote:
Why don't you take the contest over?

You are so knowledgeable while I just bumble along. I mean that sincerely!! I would feel much better knowing you were in charge. I will help if need be.

Good, we'll count on that then!
All photo entries go to cert!

I'm on the floor laughing Faster Horses!!!

You are a riot. Whatever you want FH. This is your contest, you tell me I'm willing.

Tumbleweed

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:54 pm

cert wrote:Hey Tumbleweed,

How bout this, the best of black and white and the orange fire.

Hey cert you and Hanta Yo are way smarter and more tallented than me on this sort of thing. That was pretty funny turning the picture gray and keeping the branding fire hot lol. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Hanta Yo I did try turning that picture black and white like you mentioned and I do like it better that way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:05 pm

After seeing this I think we should have a black and white catagory; or better yet, a Black and White and/or MOSTLY black and white.

Gosh, Hanta, you have a good eye. I would never have given it a thought as to how that photo would have looked in b/w. It's wonderful!!

Tumbleweed

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:16 pm

Faster Horses thanks for coming up with the idea for the photo contest, sharing it and getting it going. Think you did just fine with the first one. Also think we'll get to see a lot of photos we wouldn't see otherwise and that's fun and interresting.

Had a look at the new nature category pictures and think they're awsome!

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:58 am

sw wrote:and dust, this was last fall, when it was so dry I could not keep the coolers full of beverages for the help. As you can see by the picture, some of us had to work while others took pictures with my camera. Things are going to be different next Saturday when we brand, I'm going to guard the coolers and take pictures for the next photo contest so that more than one person votes for my picture!! (3) Also, my camera was used for picture 5 also, these girls need to keep there hands off my stuff!!
If anybody wants to help me guard the coolers and take pictures next weekend, come on down, could be an interesting day

You come on down to Texas Hanta,you can use my camera any time you want :wink: .......................good luck

Return to “Photo Contest”