14%
5%
No votes

Total votes: 21

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:57 pm

per wrote:I'm a little curious about the gold record on the wall.

Are you sure that's not his Barometer? :???: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

JF Ranch

Postby JF Ranch » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:

Per, I'm assuming you are referring to the plaque next to the light switch. It was given to us in 1997 for our local Town & Country Day. We were selected for the Outstanding Rancher Award. They also give an award to the Outstanding Farmer and Businessman each year.

On the other hand, if you meant the vertical frame just left of the plaque with three dials, then Big Muddy would be correct. That set includes a barometer, indoor thermometer and humidity meter. I have this hanging in a handy place to check the barometer each morning. I've recorded a dozen or so of the most extreme readings and the lowest point of some of my most memorable storms.
Just think, if it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all.

per
Rancher
Rancher

Postby per » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:34 pm

JF Ranch wrote:
Big Muddy rancher wrote:

Per, I'm assuming you are referring to the plaque next to the light switch. It was given to us in 1997 for our local Town & Country Day. We were selected for the Outstanding Rancher Award. They also give an award to the Outstanding Farmer and Businessman each year.

On the other hand, if you meant the vertical frame just left of the plaque with three dials, then Big Muddy would be correct. That set includes a barometer, indoor thermometer and humidity meter. I have this hanging in a handy place to check the barometer each morning. I've recorded a dozen or so of the most extreme readings and the lowest point of some of my most memorable storms.

Congrats on the awards, it is not a surprise you were selected as an outstanding Rancher but I mistakenly thought the barometer was a set of gold records. Your office is a bit like Sparkies shop, one of those places that would be interesting to linger in.

JF Ranch

Postby JF Ranch » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:53 pm

per wrote:
JF Ranch wrote:
Big Muddy rancher wrote:

Congrats on the awards, it is not a surprise you were selected as an outstanding Rancher but I mistakenly thought the barometer was a set of gold records. Your office is a bit like Sparkies shop, one of those places that would be interesting to linger in.

Thanks Per. It's not a coincidence that Sparky's shop and my office look a lot alike, as we are most definitely related! We seem to share an interest in old "cool" stuff and like to hang it all around ourselves. I could show you a lot of things, but it may not be all that interesting, unless you are a scavenger like me.
Just think, if it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks for rising to the occasion and sharing pictures of your office with us.
It does indeed, look interesting! Some neat items there!
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:27 pm

I may be out in left field, but it looks like there is a very old ball glove in the one photo. If so, is there a story there?

JF Ranch

Postby JF Ranch » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Silver wrote:I may be out in left field, but it looks like there is a very old ball glove in the one photo. If so, is there a story there?

That old glove was my mother's when she was a child. It would date back to the early 1930's. My sisters & I played with it when we were little, but none of us raised ball players so it has not been used since then. It is really quite small, with the palm measuring only about 5 inches across. The red boots were my first pair. I felt like a real cowboy with the fancy stitching & all. The old books came from my grandfather's library.

These black Bluescher boots were my mother's when she was my dad's bride. When I was little, I loved to wear them around the house. I was not allowed to take them outside. I do not see a size in them but they are so tiny, they can't be larger than size 6. I picked the dried rose from her grave in 2001. Behind are a couple of old American flags, one has 48 stars and my grandfather's WWI army hat rests on top. (You might notice where the mechanical bank stays most of the time.)

Big Muddy, the dust thing you asked about earlier is very evident in these closeups.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks JF, that's interesting stuff. You've got some real keepsakes there.

Return to “Photo Contest”