Ranchers.net Bull Session

HELP!!! Cow trouble!

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Sun May 01, 2005 8:36 pm

Had an uncle that had a cow acting like she was choking, he reached in to see if he could feel something. He put her down and last minute thinking thought he would send her head in, postive, so had the shots. A month later he had a pup that acted like it got ran over, drug it back end, same thing rabies. A few more in the family had the shots too. We go through years of quarantine for rabies, seems like it goes in cycles.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

3words

Postby 3words » Sun May 01, 2005 9:38 pm

Did your cow get up yet,Shelly?What are you doing with her calf?

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Mon May 02, 2005 12:04 am

Not up yet, calf is stealing from other cows. BTW, the rest of you are freaking me out with your rabies stories. She's not aggressive yet, just pathetic. If it's rabies, when should I see a change in her attitude?

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Mon May 02, 2005 1:02 am

Shelly wrote:Not up yet, calf is stealing from other cows. BTW, the rest of you are freaking me out with your rabies stories. She's not aggressive yet, just pathetic. If it's rabies, when should I see a change in her attitude?

Shelly not all rabies cases go to an aggresive state-- instead they have the staggers, and loss of leg control and paralysis since it effects the spinal cord, look drowsy and sleepy..... I've seen both in horses and cows- but most were the paralysis type- I think one vet called it "dumb rabies"... I also saw one horse that was an absolute nut case- try to come thru a pole corral with its mouth wide open trying to bite you- slam into the corral so hard it would knock itself down-even bit at itself....One cow I saw ran around a large pasture chasing anything it saw-- it bellowed louder and deeper than any bull I'd ever heard... Only way to know for sure is have a vet do tests.....

I don't know about Canada- but in the states rabies is a reportable disease- altho like rancher said, in this area we have so many outbreaks that we're under rabies quarantine much of the time.... It was getting to be that so many animals (skunks, coons, bats ) were coming back positive that unless someone had been bitten or exposed it was just assumed it was probably rabies and they weren't tested....

Angus Girl

Postby Angus Girl » Mon May 02, 2005 11:50 am

Not sure if this is one thing that could be a reason as to why your cow is not getting up. Last fall Dad had one of his yearling bull calves go down in the end of nov and not get back up. He called the vet out and both him and dad decided that it was a thiamin deficiency. The vet also mentioned that he should get the water tested for nitrates just in case. The vet gave him a thiamin shot and appeared to be better. However before we realized what was wrong the calf had gone to long without thiamin and went down again. The bull was on a backgrounding diet and had been out on pasture with its mom all summer. Possibly check your mineral supplements to see if they are getting enough thiamin. Just a suggestion... could be way out in left field... I know it got dad really watching his supplements and he went out and bought a bottle of thiamin incase anything else showed signs.

Manitoba_Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Manitoba_Rancher » Mon May 02, 2005 10:57 pm

Hope your cow gets up Shelly! Ive had a couple that went down on me this year.... we babied them along but then had to put them down. Had them tested for BSe and came back negative. Vet said sometimes this happens.
Canadian Beef.... A supreme delicious product!

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Thu May 05, 2005 6:47 pm

Shelly how is the cow?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Shelly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shelly » Thu May 05, 2005 10:37 pm

Still down. I think she's enjoying room service too much! I'm starting to lose hope that she will get up some day. She still has a healthy appetite and drinks her fair share of water. I don't know....I'm starting to think maybe we should just put her out of her misery.

Return to “Ranch Talk”