Ranchers.net Bull Session

Dinner slump

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
Mrs Leanin' H

Postby Mrs Leanin' H » Wed May 19, 2010 10:38 pm

hillsdown wrote:
Mrs Leanin' H wrote:Thanks Hillsdown, I will try that! It sounds like you like to cook from looking at your latest menu. Yum!

Mrs H, I really do enjoy cooking ,baking not so much. Hubby is gone so much that when he is home I like to make something different and special .

Tonight I am going to try a spinach salad ,dressed with a yogurt balsamic dressing and topped with fresh blueberries. Will let you know how it turns out as I am winging it. I will be serving it with grilled pork tenderloin.

Since you have young children at home you should try the cheese stuffed hamburgers, kids and adults love them. You just take your ground beef and season lightly, make two somewhat thin patties and stuff them with your favorite cheese be it cheddar, gruyere ,monterey jack etc. Then seal the two patties together around the edges shaping them so they are not too thick. Grill as normally done and top with an accompanying cheese to the one you have stuffed it with a few minutes before they are fully cooked . The cheese flavor is basically infused into the beef. Use condiments as you usually would and enjoy. It is delicious, and picky eaters usually love it.

We like to use blue cheese on the inside and then top with a medium gouda or swiss. Because of the unique flavors of the cheeses and the beef I like to just add sauteed mushrooms on mine, nothing else . Hubby adds the works ,lettuce, tomatoe. onion, pickle, ketchup ,mustard and relish .

Burgers sound awesome!!

I am just the opposite, I can bake, but am a simpleton when it comes to cooking.

Here's a yummy spinach salad for ya! I stole the recipe from a cousin.

Spinach
diced granny smith apples
craisins
pecan halves
cooked, diced chicken breast
Toss with poppyseed dressing
Home is where the horse is.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu May 20, 2010 9:53 am

That sounds so good, next time I'm in town I'm going to get the
ingredients.

Mrs. H, do you have a good sloppy joe recipe? I do, and I'll share
if you want. We had a tornado hit our place in W. Montana and
we had so many good hearted people come to help clean it up;
the ranch cook at Rock Creek Cattle brought a huge roaster of
the best sloppy joes I'd ever eaten. I got her recipe and that's
the one I've used since 1981.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Mrs Leanin' H

Postby Mrs Leanin' H » Thu May 20, 2010 10:31 am

I do have a sloppy joe recipe that was my grandma's, but I would love to have yours too. Please share!!

cowhunter

Postby cowhunter » Thu May 20, 2010 2:14 pm

Here's one I aint done in a while. I use to make one almost everytime I grilled on saturday. Take a large peace of smoked sausage. A pork and deer backstrap. Slice up with the grain, long thin, wide strips. Season with creoile seasonin. Get u a box of tooth picks and wrap it around the sausage with it held by the tooth picks. Its kind of hard to do. U have to use a lot of tooth pics. It should be about 3 inches around. Then wrap it in bacon. U will have tooth picks stickin out already to hang the bacon and won't need but a few. Put it on the grill with ur steak on a cooler smokey spot. Your goin to leave it over night. A gas grill with 1 burner on low will work but I cook with oak wood. Before u go to church sunday, go out and retreve it. Don't get worryed when u see this thing. It will be black. Go on and hear the preachin then come back and start pullin tooth picks. It slices up and holds togather real good and takes the pork fat and smoke into the venison and pork. I call it a mule organ.

Mrs Leanin' H

Postby Mrs Leanin' H » Thu May 20, 2010 10:05 pm

A mule organ? Sounds tasty despite it's name!

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Mr Lilly requested a pot of chili tonight. Although it is no where near chili weather LOL 90 somethin today. But I did it anyhow. Frito pie tonight.....stacked enchilada's tomorrow night or Saturday...and hotdogs on one of the other nights.

A big pot of chili makes 3 meals around here. Which I like....whole lot less cookin!
Life is a roller coaster.
You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

cowhunter

Postby cowhunter » Fri May 21, 2010 5:32 am

Lilly the first one I ever made, we were havein some kind of gatherin. I had some meat left over and come up with this ideay. The next mornin, when I got that thang off the grill, it was so ugly, I sure thought it was dog food. My wife sliced it up after church and we sure enjoyed it. That was 7 years and I bet I've made 100 sence. I think u could use beef for vinisen. I was tellin my wife about postin it and she put in a order for some next weekend at our river house. I better go to digin in the freezer for some backstrap.

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:37 am

That thing does sound good cowhunter. My FIL is a big griller/smoker type person. I'll tell him about it and how to....and see if he'll put one on to cook.
Life is a roller coaster.

You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!

¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸

"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri May 21, 2010 8:41 am

the_jersey_lilly_2000 wrote:That thing does sound good cowhunter. My FIL is a big griller/smoker type person. I'll tell him about it and how to....and see if he'll put one on to cook.

If you get'er done make sure you post some pics of your "Mule Organ" :shock: :lol: :lol:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Liveoak

Postby Liveoak » Fri May 21, 2010 1:17 pm

I've been getting chicken leg quarters for 39 cents a lb recently and besides throwing a couple in the crockpot with veggies to slow cook all day, I also like to take a couple - skin them, roll in flower, then in egg and then in seasoned bread crumbs. Put them in the oven for about 45 minutes and your ready to go!

Cowhunter, I don't think I could bring myself to asking the butcher if he has a "mule organ". Particularly before going to church.

cowhunter

Postby cowhunter » Fri May 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Well, yall know me. I call a spade a spade and then go on to church. When I was a teenager, I got in a fist fight right after church. A bully slaped the taste out of my mouth and I pealed him side the head. That would have been alright, my daddy seen it all. But as he melted down, I put a pointy toed tony lama in his gut. His dad seen that. He ate no mule orgin for supper. Anyway, I'm talkin about a musical organ. Damn liveoak, get your mind out of the bar ditch. Lol!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Dinner slump

Postby Faster horses » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:33 pm

Looking for my Sloppy Joe recipe (I didn't find it)....I just had to bring this to the top again...some good stuff here...
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Return to “Coffee Shop”