Ranchers.net Bull Session

2 Year old Filly

Stories and questions about our best friends.
HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:37 am

Faster horses wrote:OK, haymaker, I'm curious. Why do you have her bitted up like that if she isn't even started? What are you going to do with her for a few days before you ride her?

Not every horse needs to be started with a snaffle, do you know why we start the majority of horses with a broke snaffle ?
I had her in a snaffle a few days, no snaffle needed with this filly.
I want to watch her real close for a couple days, some folks can tell you more about a horse on the ground they most can in a saddle.
Good luck

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:52 am

Sure I know why you start horses in a snaffle. Do you??? :D
You go first, then me. Age before beauty you know. :D :D :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:52 am

Faster horses wrote:Sure I know why you start horses in a snaffle. Do you??? :D
You go first, then me. Age before beauty you know. :D :D :D

Age or beauty has little to do with horse sense if you start out dumb like big dummie.
tell me why you would use a snaffle on this filly and i will tell you why a snaffle aint always the starting point .
You use the bit that gives the best results period, and hopefully you have a plan and understand that results are'nt always obtained by doing the same thing every one else does .
Now tell me why "YOU" would use a snaffle every time you started a horse.
The bit she graduated to is a bit I modified in my shop, absolutely no port and polished very smooth.
good luck

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:56 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Cause that's how they do it in Texas. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No wimpy snaffle bits for real cowboys. Besides if she is going to barrel race she better learn what a tie down is right away. :roll:

How would you know what we do in Texas, you would,nt know a Texan if one bit you in the ass :D
I think we have a few Ladies down here that can run barrels, seems like I heard something about a Texas girl running some barrels in Calgary a while back ?
good luck

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Faster Horses, remember we have had the bit conversation before, I can be brutal to any horse with a snaffle, and I can be very kind to one with a port, It,s not the bit as much as the person using it.
I like a more bit than I need when I ride because I'm usually riding Green horses.
I ride them with a loose rein and if I need a bit I have it, most folks around here have their way and do what works for them everyone trains a young horse different and everyone rides a little different.
I don't claim to be a horse trainer but have started a few, never hurt or abused one yet, might have hurt their pride a little, and to be truthful I look for a reason to show a young horse who is boss after that we can get a lot done.
This filly has a really good mind and is super smart in a month if she is coming along like she has been I will get the girl that owns her to run a barrel pattern if her time is good , then we didn't waste our time and money if its not she will likely go to someone looking for a western pleasure horse.
Good luck

Ps. If you notice she has plenty head room with the tie down, she don't need her head stuck up in the air like a damn ostrich, I usually Lower the tie down on a young horse about an inch a week, I like my roping horses neck level they need to be watching where they are going not looking around an arena like they are gonna buy the damn place.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:08 pm

A snaffle bit is the most common type of bit used while riding horses. It consists of a bit mouthpiece with a ring on either side and acts with direct pressure. A bridle utilizing only a snaffle bit is often called a "snaffle bridle," particularly in the English riding disciplines. A bridle that carries two bits, a curb bit and a snaffle, or "bradoon," is called a double bridle.

A snaffle is not necessarily a bit with a jointed bit mouthpiece, as is often thought. A bit is a snaffle because it creates direct pressure without leverage on the mouth. It is a bit without a shank. Therefore, a single- or double-jointed mouthpiece, though the most common designs for snaffle bits, does not make a bit a snaffle. Even a mullen mouth (a solid, slightly curved bar) or a bar bit is a snaffle.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:A snaffle bit is the most common type of bit used while riding horses. It consists of a bit mouthpiece with a ring on either side and acts with direct pressure. A bridle utilizing only a snaffle bit is often called a "snaffle bridle," particularly in the English riding disciplines. A bridle that carries two bits, a curb bit and a snaffle, or "bradoon," is called a double bridle.

A snaffle is not necessarily a bit with a jointed bit mouthpiece, as is often thought. A bit is a snaffle because it creates direct pressure without leverage on the mouth. It is a bit without a shank. Therefore, a single- or double-jointed mouthpiece, though the most common designs for snaffle bits, does not make a bit a snaffle. Even a mullen mouth (a solid, slightly curved bar) or a bar bit is a snaffle.

One mans opinion of what a snaffle is does and likely never been on a green horse in heavy brush.
I use broke large ring snaffle when I have a high strung green horse, they don't feel as trapped, if they are worth my time I graduated them to the bit I feel best suits the the job expected .
I probably have 30 or more bits in my tack room everything from a tractor supply special to some hi end hand mades, but its always the hands that use the bit, but it sure don't hurt to have the right bit in the right hands.
Good luck

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:49 pm

HAY MAKER wrote:
Big Muddy rancher wrote:A snaffle bit is the most common type of bit used while riding horses. It consists of a bit mouthpiece with a ring on either side and acts with direct pressure. A bridle utilizing only a snaffle bit is often called a "snaffle bridle," particularly in the English riding disciplines. A bridle that carries two bits, a curb bit and a snaffle, or "bradoon," is called a double bridle.

One mans opinion of what a snaffle is does and likely never been on a green horse in heavy brush.
I use broke large ring snaffle when I have a high strung green horse, they don't feel as trapped, if they are worth my time I graduated them to the bit I feel best suits the the job expected .
I probably have 30 or more bits in my tack room everything from a tractor supply special to some hi end hand mades, but its always the hands that use the bit, but it sure don't hurt to have the right bit in the right hands.
Good luck

"acts with direct pressure."

"without leverage on the mouth."

I don't think you get it. :roll:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Actually, haymaker, what you have on that filly is a trap.

A snaffle will not hurt the bars of a horses mouth (as there is no down pressure) and with a snaffle you can teach a horse how to bend. With a
shank bit, horses get stiff. Even older horses it isn't a bad thing to ride them once in awhile with a snaffle bit to keep them flexible and not stiff. Actually Mr. FH prefers to ride
everything but a real tried-and-true older horse with a snaffle bit. He can
get more done a lot easier. He uses harness leather split reins that are
7' long with a tie so that if a horse breaks a rein it can be easily repaired
without taking it anywhere to be fixed.

I do want to caution you, if the bit you have modified has a straight bar
mouthpiece, those can cut a horses tongue and that's awful. Bits should have a port for tongue release.

Usually with young horses they need a bigger mouthpiece, by that I mean bigger around; even on a snaffle bit. There is so much to this, like teaching a horse to learn to pack a bit...

I also really frown on using roping reins on a young horse. And there is
a reason for that.

Also, if you watch the good barrel racers, hardly any of them use a tie-down anymore. And very seldom will they use a shank bit, because when you neck-rein a horse, the outside rein is shorter and causes their head to tip to
the outside so they are going around the barrel with their head tipped the
wrong way.

If you are trying to use direct rein with a shank bit, you have down pressure added to it and those young horses can get really confused.
If you want to know more, I'll share.

Otherwise, here's wishing you good luck with her. She looks like a sweetie.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher

Postby LazyWP » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:00 pm

I would say its awful DAMN hard to break a horse 1000 miles away from the horse!! I ride whatever the horse works best in. Sometimes a snaffle, bosal, grazing bit, halter, or maybe a string around the jaw. As Haymaker says, its all in the hands! Mine are to heavy, most of the time, so I tend to use as mild of bit as I can get away with.

Haymaker, use your own judgement.

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Faster horses wrote:Actually, haymaker, what you have on that filly is a trap.

A snaffle will not hurt the bars of a horses mouth (as there is no down pressure) and with a snaffle you can teach a horse how to bend. With a
shank bit, horses get stiff. Even older horses it isn't a bad thing to ride them once in awhile with a snaffle bit to keep them flexible and not stiff. Actually Mr. FH prefers to ride
everything but a real tried-and-true older horse with a snaffle bit. He can
get more done a lot easier. He uses harness leather split reins that are
7' long with a tie so that if a horse breaks a rein it can be easily repaired
without taking it anywhere to be fixed.

I do want to caution you, if the bit you have modified has a straight bar
mouthpiece, those can cut a horses tongue and that's awful. Bits should have a port for tongue release.

Usually with young horses they need a bigger mouthpiece, by that I mean bigger around; even on a snaffle bit. There is so much to this, like teaching a horse to learn to pack a bit...

I also really frown on using roping reins on a young horse. And there is
a reason for that.

Also, if you watch the good barrel racers, hardly any of them use a tie-down anymore. And very seldom will they use a shank bit, because when you neck-rein a horse, the outside rein is shorter and causes their head to tip to
the outside so they are going around the barrel with their head tipped the
wrong way.

If you are trying to use direct rein with a shank bit, you have down pressure added to it and those young horses can get really confused.
If you want to know more, I'll share.

Otherwise, here's wishing you good luck with her. She looks like a sweetie.

acutually what I have on the filly is what she works best in, I really dont need any advice on how to start a horse, you obviously dont understand,
good luck

HAY MAKER
Rancher
Rancher

Postby HAY MAKER » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
HAY MAKER wrote:

Good luck

"acts with direct pressure."

"without leverage on the mouth."

I don't think you get it. :roll:

And i dont think you have ever got it, this filly is coming along fine with a straight port, no canuckle haid advice needed, especially from someone that caint bridle a green colt. :roll:
good luck

Return to “Horses & Dogs”