Ranchers.net Bull Session

winter project horse

Stories and questions about our best friends.
caljane

winter project horse

Postby caljane » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Calves are sold, cows are pregchecked, yearlings are shipped, and all livestock waits in their winter pastures for the first snow. This is usually the time when I take a couple of weanlings home and halter train them, however, this year I got me a 2year old instead. He grew up as a pasture ornament on about 4 acres with mom and aunt, has barely been handled except that he "kind of" leads, but can not be touched anywhere except head and neck, just about (great feet for never been trimmed!).
Here are pictures of the day (next day) after I picked him up and took him home:

Now guess his breed ...

cowwrangler

Postby cowwrangler » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 pm

quarter x mustang?
Nature gave us all something to fall back on, and sooner or later we all land flat on it.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Looks to me your going to have a pet on your hands pretty darn quick. :D

You'll be riding him soon. :D :D

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

Postby leanin' H » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:03 pm

From the pics he is already learning some cool tricks! He yawns on command, packs his own mane detangler, stands on a tarp when he pees and puts on his own saddle blanket. :shock: :D :D :D

Hope it is a fun and rewarding undertaking for ya. :D
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Walking Horse....only because he looks just like one we sold last summer.

caljane

Postby caljane » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:04 pm

leanin' H wrote:From the pics he is already learning some cool tricks! He yawns on command, packs his own mane detangler, stands on a tarp when he pees and puts on his own saddle blanket. :shock: :D :D :D

As a matter of fact - I couldn't have been more surprised but that comes pretty close to what's happening.
I wasn't very excited about his breeding and the way he was raised and expected a hot lunatic - turns out he has some temperament but takes everything new in a stride.
No Mustang - I have too many prejudices against mustangs ... hear who is talking ... he is considered even worse in the ranch world, at least out here where I live. His sire is a purebred Arabian, the dam a speed bred (Easy Jet) Paint mare. Bite me ... :wink:
Lot's of fun to work with, no regrets here and I am looking forward to see how he will do under saddle, but I hadn't planned on riding him his year, once winter really hits it gets too slippery for me to feel comfortable on a green horse. But then I'm a sissy :-)

This morning. 20° and moving in snow storm is no reason to miss class, but I lack the ambition to really move on. My fingers are frozen.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Your first pics looked like you might moved back to California for the winter but your last one confirmed Wyoming. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Sounds like a good plan, but be mighty careful. Those Arabian crossbreds
can be really, really intelligent. :D

Good luck with him. Keep us posted.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

caljane

Postby caljane » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Faster horses wrote:Sounds like a good plan, but be mighty careful. Those Arabian crossbreds
can be really, really intelligent. :D

... and I dare say that this is one of the reasons why cowboys don't like them. They don't respond to the old ways of breaking a ranch horse very well, thus get high strung and difficult to manage. Not saying that they would substitute a good Quarter Horse or Paint for ranching, but they sure have an even worse reputation around here than Appaloosas or Morgans. For the record: my saddle horses are a Quarter and a Paint, and I like it this way. The last Half Arabian I had went on to become an endurance horse, but he was very easy to work with too, moving cattle on his second outside ride. Even too lazy for endurance in my opinion, but then they seem to like them laid back. Will be interesting to see how this guy here will turn out, he sure had me impressed so far!

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 am

You have a diamond in the rough.......I have rode lots pf arab/crosses and you will love him.. I hope he has some size. If so the possibiliies are endless.. Plus some color..... Enjoy.....Keep us updated. You are one lucky girly.....Most have a heart as big as Texas, Don;t know quit and are a life time friend..... Some of the best I rode were thourobred cross...big and smart.. If you are going to get in trouble those are the kind to be aboard....
Don't sweat the small stuff.

Return to “Horses & Dogs”