Ranchers.net Bull Session

Calf Sled?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:49 am

Sandhills boy wrote:I would go with cage type to keep them from stepping on the little ones. I built one, in couple hrs out of old scrap, can get you a picture or two of it if you want, I don't like handling the slimy little bastards when I don't have too. I made gate on the back of mine ( nice to drag them in instead of lifting them) with cut up hog panel for sides so they can see them, wide and long enough not to tip on uneven ground and expansion metal on the bottom to let the goods out that they seem to get rid of while you are handling them. good luck with you purchase, not everything works for everyone that is why there are options, just my 2 cents and that is what it is worth. Brent.
PS only thing I would change is to make larger runners on the bottom like 2 inch muffler pipe would work well and not real heavy to drag.

sound's like a well built sled, PIC'S would be most welcome

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:04 am

although i appreciate stuff home made out of steel and the scrap pile, I'm wondering that with these temp's( well,well below freezing on any scale) that a sled would be better made out of plastic/wood /rubber. as stated they are slimy wet little ba$$turds and could freeze to cold metal in second's creating a whole new set of problems.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:33 pm

We use a half of dog crate, twine to hook it to the 4 wheeler, and netting made for a atv to keep them from flopping out. Easy to pull on the snow, so so in the mud. On snow it's plenty easy to pull on foot if necessary. Easy to drag them in it and easy to dump out.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Nicky wrote:We use a half of dog crate, twine to hook it to the 4 wheeler, and netting made for a atv to keep them from flopping out. Easy to pull on the snow, so so in the mud. On snow it's plenty easy to pull on foot if necessary. Easy to drag them in it and easy to dump out.

Where can I buy half a dog crate? :wink: :lol: :lol:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Nicky wrote:We use a half of dog crate, twine to hook it to the 4 wheeler, and netting made for a atv to keep them from flopping out. Easy to pull on the snow, so so in the mud. On snow it's plenty easy to pull on foot if necessary. Easy to drag them in it and easy to dump out.

When one breaks you have another one ready!

C Thompson

calf sled

Postby C Thompson » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:51 pm

So far Soapweed has first place for the best answer. I liked the helpful comment about not making them out of metal so the slimey guys don't freeze down. Just an observation from a recovering winter calver.

burnt
Rancher
Rancher

Postby burnt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:

Shouldn't have to buy one. Wouldn't that come gratis when you buy a half breed dog? :wink:
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root". Henry D. Thoreau.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Good point, Soapweed!

Having been moving toward later calving, with a step backward for this spring due to others owning the heifers at breeding time, I understand it well! Maybe you are far enough 'south' not to share our experiences with even 'later' calving. We are too fearful of hot weather in June to go much later than our current 'end of May/end of calving' goal.

With a BIG "however" on this 122 year old ranch, April and May blizzards have caused us the biggest cattle losses, usually newborn calves, but not limited to those! A late spring blizzard not many years ago killed LOTS of yearling steers, turned out on pasture, they went into creeks full of water and snow, which normally would have been the best sheltered of pastures.

Those spring blizzards with wet, heavy snow can also 'stall out' everything from the shod horses to the tractor and pickups. Horses don't walk well on six inch 'stilts' of snow!

Good luck to all, especially fir the ingenuity demonstrated in some of the home made contraptions!

mrj

We do have some of the black sleds mentioned, and they have been used on rare occasions.

Bar M

Postby Bar M » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:01 pm

I am a late calver by some standards I start the 10th of April and no matter how nice the weather is it seems a sled always comes in handy. To be honest the sun tags sled looks slicker then snot in fact I showed Mrs. Bar M the link and before I knew it she had one ordered.
We do also have a cage that is ATV mounted and don't get me wrong I wouldn't be with out it but there are just times when a sled would work better and having used other sleds and calf carriers. I like the idea of not having to lift the baby into the sled. Sure makes for a long mourning when you are covered in calf slime.

Sandhills boy

Postby Sandhills boy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 pm

not to be a smart Ars but if it is that cold they will stick to anything I think, plus they would not move around or fall out :lol:
Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and
those who dare not are slaves. Lord Byron, poet (1788-1822)

Bar M

Postby Bar M » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Sandhills boy wrote:not to be a smart Ars but if it is that cold they will stick to anything I think, plus they would not move around or fall out :lol:

Great thought and how long will they have to be in a sled to freeze to it.

Justin
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Justin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Soapweed wrote:If we'd just learn to calve in April and May, no sled would be needed. :wink:

:wink: :D
you can't fix stupid.
-Ron White-

Return to “Ranch Talk”