Ranchers.net Bull Session

RAIN

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
mrj
Rancher
Rancher

RAIN

Postby mrj » Wed May 06, 2015 8:46 pm

I've been told we got about .90" of rain since sometime during the night. It came nice and gentle, off and on all day and as it got dark tonight. Pretty timely, as grass had appeared to be losing ground lately. A true blessing! We are about 8 miles north of exit 170 on I-90, and am guessing it may be fairly general in western SD, and maybe across the river, too. We went to Napoleon, ND yesterday, about 25 miles east of hiway #83 in ND, and it was cloudy, and spitting a little rain many places on the way home, mostly a few miles east of #83 till we got to Gettysburg, then down thru Pierre and west to Midland, and south to home, with the car wet most of the time. Not quite enough to wash the bugs off the windshield, tho. But today, it even came hard enough a couple of times to wash east and south windows, a noticeable improvement!

mrj

AC Diesel

Re: RAIN

Postby AC Diesel » Wed May 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Glad you guys got a little rain! We are terribly dry here again this year, seems like everyone but us are getting some rains :mad:

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed May 06, 2015 10:21 pm

We had just a shower this morning, the horse still kicked up dust. Got cold tonight.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed May 06, 2015 10:31 pm

We got about .4" and it took all day to get it. South of us not too far they got .6"
Any rain is welcome. Of course, the wind managed to keep blowing. :?
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

jigs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jigs » Thu May 07, 2015 7:02 am

we just dumped 6 inches out this morning... lucky for us, all the tornados were avoiding us. home ruined on all 4 sides of our place....
never judge a man by his past, just pray he finds Jesus in his future.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Thu May 07, 2015 7:46 am

So glad to hear of more rains, but those darn floods and tornadoes sure are awful. Biggest single rain in less than 24 hours in the 58 years, as of May 26, has been just under 5 inches. My brother, about ten miles due east of us gets bigger ones pretty easily, especially as a summer thunder storm, and I think 7 inches has been the biggest one there. Haven't heard what he got yesterday.

FH, we had a few of those little showers the couple of weeks before yesterdays nice gentle one, so hope yours is on the way. And this one is no 'year maker or even a hay maker', but is salvaging the spring growth in our pastures. We did have quite a lot of old growth from the great year in 2014, so are relaxing just a bit and should make our brandings nicer with green grass for the branding areas, as well as leaving them in the same pastures for a while after branding so they have their bearings after that disturbance to their routine.

Sure hope the Sand Hills gets rain. Didn't you have a pretty late start on grass last year? We drove through some of the area last spring and thought it looked pretty sad far as pastures were concerned at the time.

mrj

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu May 07, 2015 7:56 am

Feels like it should be snowing this morning.Brrrrrrrrrrrr

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu May 07, 2015 1:42 pm

mrj wrote:So glad to hear of more rains, but those darn floods and tornadoes sure are awful. Biggest single rain in less than 24 hours in the 58 years, as of May 26, has been just under 5 inches. My brother, about ten miles due east of us gets bigger ones pretty easily, especially as a summer thunder storm, and I think 7 inches has been the biggest one there. Haven't heard what he got yesterday.

FH, we had a few of those little showers the couple of weeks before yesterdays nice gentle one, so hope yours is on the way. And this one is no 'year maker or even a hay maker', but is salvaging the spring growth in our pastures. We did have quite a lot of old growth from the great year in 2014, so are relaxing just a bit and should make our brandings nicer with green grass for the branding areas, as well as leaving them in the same pastures for a while after branding so they have their bearings after that disturbance to their routine.

Sure hope the Sand Hills gets rain. Didn't you have a pretty late start on grass last year? We drove through some of the area last spring and thought it looked pretty sad far as pastures were concerned at the time.

mrj

Same here mrj. Helped the pasture, but the hay ground needs more. Usually we get rain during the Miles City Bucking Horse Sale, which is coming up the weekend of the 15-17 and Memorial weekend we usually get some. Guess we'll know more June 1. We too,
thankfully have old grass. Glad you got some. It was timely, for sure.

Jigs, sorry to hear you had such a damaging rain. As an old friend used to say, "Mother Nature ain't got no mercy for nobody."

jigs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jigs » Thu May 07, 2015 2:49 pm

we woke up to the creeks and rivers all flooded...hell, we thought Nebraska lost a football game and the river of tears was the problem....
never judge a man by his past, just pray he finds Jesus in his future.

loomixguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby loomixguy » Thu May 07, 2015 4:22 pm

jigs wrote:we woke up to the creeks and rivers all flooded...hell, we thought Nebraska lost a football game and the river of tears was the problem....

That's nothing compared to the tsunami of tears when the museum piece retires...again. I hope the KSU admin has Ron Prince on speed dial.
Arguing with a Kansas State fan is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to s*** on the chessboard and strut around like it won anyway.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Fri May 08, 2015 5:22 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Feels like it should be snowing this morning.Brrrrrrrrrrrr

As I'm getting ready to load bulls this morning its windy and chilly here. We had 5 tenths of rain on saturday night and spread 22 ton of fertilizer on monday evening and tuesday then we recieved right at an inch of rain wendsday and thursday. We even spread out on our canary meadows which I've never done should make hay and hopefully these bulls make some pay. adios
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri May 08, 2015 7:05 am

Good luck with your sale, Denny. Your bulls looked really good.

Return to “Coffee Shop”