Ranchers.net Bull Session

Bad River Suicide ?Race at Fort Pierre, SD

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:04 pm

I don't recall if there were news stories or photo's from those races. We attended most, if not all of them. They definitely were exciting! The course was up over the loose shale hills to the right of the grandstand when facing the chutes at the rodeo grounds, across some draws, up, down and around some of the other hills, back into the arena where they had a water pit, and I don't recall if they went around the race track (around the outside of the arena) before or after the hills and water, or if they didn't even use the track.

It was very dangerous. Many riders were injured, some quite severely, I believe. I'm a nervous spectator anytime injuries can be life threatening, so probably missed some stuff when my eyes were closed!!!

I suspect it was liability and animal cruelty accusations which ended those races. I do believe the animals were treated well by MOST of the riders, but if they were not well conditioned, or were not trained well, or too young, they could have been hurt by an inexperienced rider, too.

There were some other courses, one being in the Badlands, south of Kadoka along hiway #63. I never saw any of the races there.

The story by Mel Anderson is great! We went to several horse sales at Dean Reeves ranch, and bought some. A favorite being a nice blue roan who sadly got moon blindness and injured his foot badly when he didn't see a culvert and stepped off the edge of it and got a bad cut.

We have also enjoyed following Tom Reeves' riding career, getting a good photo or several of him at Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeos.

mrj

Paula

Postby Paula » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Do you have any idea of anyone who would have pictures? When did they stop having this race?

Paula

Postby Paula » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:28 pm

MRJ Do you have any idea of the newspapers who might have covered this race?
Does Fort Pierre have a newspaper that was operating then? Thank you for the great reporting.
I have always been intrigued with this race and years ago wanted to run in it. We just didn't have the resources or time at that time. Jesse Bail is our neighbor and Tom Reeves was quite good to him, I think. Salt of the earth type of people.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Paula, I'm not sure if the Ft. Pierre paper was still going back then, but may have been. In any case, the Pierre Times probably was and believe they acquired the Ft. paper, but not certain.

Possibly someone at the Casey Tibbs museum could help. Or the Verendrye Museum, which has a website under that name.

I'll ask around for more info.

mrj

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 am

Where is TX Tibbs when we need him? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

ghedman89

Re: Bad River Suicide ?Race at Fort Pierre, SD

Postby ghedman89 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Pictures from 1975 race, from KGFX Scrapbook. https://m.facebook.com/dakotaradiogroup ... 7971034745

Return to “Coffee Shop”