Ranchers.net Bull Session

Ram DEF PITA

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Ram DEF PITA

Postby Traveler » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Been driving a '14 Ram 2500 Diesel since new. Has about ~72,000 miles on it. Liked it for the most part, got respectable fuel mileage, and pulled pretty well. Has had several issues with the DEF system and with the exhaust regeneration nuisance junk they all have.

Two days ago it got a check engine light (nothing new), yesterday it went out. This morning the wife and I set out on a -maybe 300 mile jaunt. About 50 miles from home (had to be somewhere, no turning around) there was a ding, the check engine light came back on, and a message came up that said something to the effect of~~~~there is a problem with the DEF system, in 150 miles it will shut down and only have a top speed of 5 mph. So got the better half dropped off and headed for the dealer with no way to get all the way there the way the "150" number was counting down. At about 30 miles from powering down, the message went off but the check engine light stayed on, and it did keep running well. To summarize, made a quick decision to trade it for a GMC gasser. Maybe not the best choice but it's done, and it rides pretty nice. Not like a Super Duty that the help avoids using if they can.

Anyway, I find it useful when people pass along the experiences they have with any equipment and are upfront about it. Maybe someone driving a similar vehicle will realize that if they set out on a trip, would be worse pulling a trailer, that something stupid mandated by the EPA could bite them in the rear and ruin their trip. Good idea to have a plan B in the back of your mind. Good luck with your over the top emmissions systems.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Ram DEF PITA

Postby Denny » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:51 am

I've got a 09 F350 that had a gas guzzling v-10 in it the cam broke and now were about done installing a 2nd generation 5.9 cummins quite an undertaking but should make a pretty mean machine when complete. They wanted anywhere from $5000 to $7500 for a used v-10 this conversion is right at $10,000 so far no labor bet it gets more than 7 mpg
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:57 am

Talked to the guys in Kalispell some time ago---ended up (so far) leaving my 7.3 with hydrabed alone and buying a dodge with auto to pull with---

https://www.dieselconversion.com/blog/c ... 3L-Diesel/

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:40 am

littlejoe wrote:Talked to the guys in Kalispell some time ago---ended up (so far) leaving my 7.3 with hydrabed alone and buying a dodge with auto to pull with---

https://www.dieselconversion.com/blog/c ... 3L-Diesel/

That's where I got my parts or a lot of them anyhow.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:57 am

Forgot to mention they require an expensive ~$700 EGR cleaning -supposedly from the dealer- at about 60,000 miles. You get a message to do that and it doesn't go away until you get it done.

loomixguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby loomixguy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Fix It Again, Tony.
Arguing with a Kansas State fan is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to s*** on the chessboard and strut around like it won anyway.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:26 am

I've had two Dodges. My first one and my last one. Same truck.

loomixguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby loomixguy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:55 am

Silver wrote:I've had two Dodges. My first one and my last one. Same truck.

Probably the best post on rancher's...ever! ;-)
Arguing with a Kansas State fan is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to s*** on the chessboard and strut around like it won anyway.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:03 am

I think this kind of goes along with the thread that Faster horses just posted, titled EPA Overreach.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=76046

There has really been nothing mechanical wrong with the pickup, to be fair. It's all emissions related, and required by the EPA. Potentially shutting a vehicle down while the owner is not necessarily in a good place to stop is severe overreach, IMO.

The Chev and GMC Diesels have the DEF tank hanging low behind the RF tire. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

I think the honeymoon with a Ford would be over when the cab has to be lifted off to get to the motor. An unloaded SuperDuty rides rough off road. Miserable rough.

The '15 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 liter gas engine that my son drives has had no problems, not so much as a check engine light. It doesn't ride that great, but with the coil rear springs, better than a SuperDuty.

We have some older Dodges left that are still taking their punishment.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:44 am

We run Dodges. When we switched from Fords back in 1998, we felt like traitors because we had driven Fords forever.
We haven't had a Ford since the first Dodge we owned. Mr. FH pulls a lot of loads with his 1-ton Dodge dually and is totally
satisfied, (outside of the DEF) and he is picky. Our current Dodge has the Aisin transmission, which he specifically asked for,
and he is absolutely delighted with that transmission and with the pickup. He says that transmission "really gets ahold" which is important to him as about everything he does with a pickup is pulling a load of some kind.

To each his own. :D :nod: Not trying to convince anyone.

Reminds me of my dad....we were having Thanksgiving dinner years ago at some relatives who swore by Internationals. Dad
loved his Fords.....so when he got there and parked in a yard full of Internationals (I said this was years ago) he remarked,
"I'm sure glad my Ford made it out here in this International country." :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

AC Diesel

Postby AC Diesel » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:01 pm

I never bought a pickup in my life to ride like a car, the name say's it all SUPERDUTY! It was built for work!

4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 4Diamond » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:19 pm

Exactly. It's a truck made for work and abuse, you can't expect them to ride like a car.

Return to “Ranch Talk”