Ranchers.net Bull Session

My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Re: My journey in the last couple of weeks/months

Postby sweetbasil » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:25 am

Faster horses wrote:Glad you got to your destination safely, Ella. You are always an inspiration, but there comes a time that your vessel needs filled
as well. Happy you have the opportunity and are taking advantage of it.

Sounds like you are busy, mrj. Where are the horse sales you mentioned? Have you ever been to the one held on Main Street in
Cody, Wy. It is past for this year and I didn't know about it, but I hope we can attend next year. Sounds interesting.

Thank you! I don't know how I could possibly inspire anyone, but your kind words are greatly appreciated. I will come back and post pictures and a recap of my time in Minnesota at the Prayer Retreat. It has been the best thing I got to do in over a year and it was truly a blessing.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:53 am

Good afternoon, Everyone,
May this posts finds everyone having a good week. I think my glass has spilled and made a sea of frustration right now. I trust God's plans for me, but I will seriously consider putting my name with Amazon. I have a friend there who is leading a division and has invited me to join his team in the areas of quality improvements, which is my background. I can't keep delivering my best if my partners do not strive to meet our key Value of "Delivering Excellence." I have asked my manager to define my role's authority parameters and he has not listened, in the meantime, I am doing people's job and their lack of respect for the company and unwillingness to be a team player is going to affect my effectiveness. I don't like to take care of my own sandbox, I like to take care of the whole park so I can have a sandbox for years to come.

More to come...

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:44 pm

I'm so glad you had such a fulfilling prayer retreat. And equally sorry that your job is so frustrating for you! It is so hard to accept when others over whom one has no control and influence are disappointing at best and impossible to deal with or convince of a better way are in positions of power over us. Sometimes we just have to either accept that we can't change the situation, or cut our losses and leave the situation. And you have had experience in those areas....in spades, as the saying goes. Please take some comfort in knowing your friends are praying for you, and of course, 'grandma's are always on YOUR side' whatever your decision in tough situations!

We plan to be in Sioux Falls June 30 for my doc appointments. I was SO happy to get TWO scheduled on one day. For months, I've had a 'hopefully' final check-up on my ankle replacement, so was amazed to be able to get an appointment with another doc to be my regular doc for monitoring me after thyroidectomy in 2009. The one in Rapid City moved away, so thought as I only need to see that doc once a year, Sioux Falls would be good, since Rapid City has only one.......with a HUGE patient load. My sil says it takes MONTHS to get an appointment. My bro, and dil both see one in SF and are very pleased, so, wish me luck, since neither of them goes to the one I've 'drawn'. With help from my family doc. It will be a wild few days, as we have annual dermatology appts. in RC on the 28th, Shorty has a meeting in Brookings on the 29th, and I have those appts in SF on the 30. And we will try to visit friends in Brkgs. the friend at the nursing home in Dell Rapids, and of course, Miss Sweet Basil in SF!

Haying if in full swing here, but it looks like a short crop due to late frost on alfalfa. Think they will finish the north end of that today. Haven't heard if the rest of it was harmed or not, and think some at the south end is grasses instead of alfalfa, so hopefully it will be better. Shorty took several horses to have their shoes re-set this morning, then got some errant bulls back into the proper pasture and fixed the fence which allowed them to stray from their proper place. He had to take some breaks, as the humidity and heat were really oppressive.

Some other family members and I are planning an 80th birthday party for Shorty. It is July 9 and we should have had it all planned by now, but for our family I guess we are getting at it in timely fashion! Will have a family dinner, then an open house for visiting with friends during the afternoon. Our grandkids are hosting it at their home, as they learned they can fit a big bunch at tables when we branded.......and they have a nifty grill which turned out some exceptionally fine hamburgers that day, so some brisket should be great. And, weather permitting, their front porch and back deck hold quite a few people, too.

It's beginning to look like the week of appointments and meetings will be relaxing, with all the little details between now and then!!! Add a few T-ball games into the mix, and 'Friday Nights in the Park' in Midland begin soon, too! But for me, that is relaxing. There will be a meal, baked, and home grown goodies to buy, and maybe even some entertainment, and always lots of visiting with friends from the area. It is a very pretty park in a friendly town, and lots of shade for warm evenings.

mrj

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:33 pm

mrj wrote:I'm so glad you had such a fulfilling prayer retreat. And equally sorry that your job is so frustrating for you! It is so hard to accept when others over whom one has no control and influence are disappointing at best and impossible to deal with or convince of a better way are in positions of power over us. Sometimes we just have to either accept that we can't change the situation, or cut our losses and leave the situation. And you have had experience in those areas....in spades, as the saying goes. Please take some comfort in knowing your friends are praying for you, and of course, 'grandma's are always on YOUR side' whatever your decision in tough situations!

We plan to be in Sioux Falls June 30 for my doc appointments. I was SO happy to get TWO scheduled on one day. For months, I've had a 'hopefully' final check-up on my ankle replacement, so was amazed to be able to get an appointment with another doc to be my regular doc for monitoring me after thyroidectomy in 2009. The one in Rapid City moved away, so thought as I only need to see that doc once a year, Sioux Falls would be good, since Rapid City has only one.......with a HUGE patient load. My sil says it takes MONTHS to get an appointment. My bro, and dil both see one in SF and are very pleased, so, wish me luck, since neither of them goes to the one I've 'drawn'. With help from my family doc. It will be a wild few days, as we have annual dermatology appts. in RC on the 28th, Shorty has a meeting in Brookings on the 29th, and I have those appts in SF on the 30. And we will try to visit friends in Brkgs. the friend at the nursing home in Dell Rapids, and of course, Miss Sweet Basil in SF!

Haying if in full swing here, but it looks like a short crop due to late frost on alfalfa. Think they will finish the north end of that today. Haven't heard if the rest of it was harmed or not, and think some at the south end is grasses instead of alfalfa, so hopefully it will be better. Shorty took several horses to have their shoes re-set this morning, then got some errant bulls back into the proper pasture and fixed the fence which allowed them to stray from their proper place. He had to take some breaks, as the humidity and heat were really oppressive.

Some other family members and I are planning an 80th birthday party for Shorty. It is July 9 and we should have had it all planned by now, but for our family I guess we are getting at it in timely fashion! Will have a family dinner, then an open house for visiting with friends during the afternoon. Our grandkids are hosting it at their home, as they learned they can fit a big bunch at tables when we branded.......and they have a nifty grill which turned out some exceptionally fine hamburgers that day, so some brisket should be great. And, weather permitting, their front porch and back deck hold quite a few people, too.

It's beginning to look like the week of appointments and meetings will be relaxing, with all the little details between now and then!!! Add a few T-ball games into the mix, and 'Friday Nights in the Park' in Midland begin soon, too! But for me, that is relaxing. There will be a meal, baked, and home grown goodies to buy, and maybe even some entertainment, and always lots of visiting with friends from the area. It is a very pretty park in a friendly town, and lots of shade for warm evenings.

mrj

Hello "Grandma!"
I am praying for the work situation and turned it over to God. If this is where I belong, God will provide the tools I need to deliver my very best work and be the employee and partner He designed for me to be. If not, He will guide me where to go next. I will be " still and know that He is God" and has it under control. :heart:
I am so glad to hear that Shorty had a good birthday celebration. Being 80 is defiantly a good milestone in life. Reading your post reminded me that is bring a while since I have had any cake, especially birthday cake. Early this week I picked up some peaches and look forward to making peach pie when my mom gets here.

Maybe we can connect if your schedule allows when you are in the area. My mom will get here on the 5th of July, so I won't go away that weekend,to get the place ready. I am looking for a small town with 4th of July celebrations to go to. I love everthing that this Holiday represents and would love to see a parade.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Sweetbasil

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:54 pm

It's great your Mom is coming to see you! Wish I knew which town in your area had the best of July 4 celebrations, but have no idea. We used to go to Ft. Pierre, as that began with a parade, in fact we drove our team and wagon in it at least once. People crowded so close to the floats and wagons that Shorty was terrified someone would be hurt! Once a gust of wind carried a paper bag rolling just above the ground right toward our horses. They simply jumped, in unison, over the bag as it blew under their feet. We were so relieved and thankful those horses handled the scarey thing so well! Those Belgians were probably the best behaved team we ever had and we enjoyed using them a lot. There also is a rodeo at Ft. Pierre. It runs afternoon and evening performances, so the fireworks display begins as soon as the rodeo ends. We may go to that one if we have family members involved in the rodeo and the weather is nice, not too hot. Some of the local communities here just do fireworks, shooting it off over a large lake, which sounds nice, but we have never seen that, usually being gone somewhere else that day. After our marathon of events the week before, we may not do much that day.

btw, Shorty's birthday party will be July 9. And we do hope we can make connections while in SF. We decided not to go to Omaha at that time.

It's beastly hot today, over 100%, but a light breeze helps a bit. Supposed to get some T-storms in a couple of days, and maybe cool off a bit. We will welcome that, just not trusting it will actually happen! Making hay has slowed for us, due to repairs being mad on a rake which naturally is the most needed machine at the moment! But the area they are working is more productive than the first they put up, and things will happen fast later today when the rake is working again!

We had a nice visit with a cousin of mine who 'detoured' to visit us and my brothers' family as he came from east of Kansas City, yesterday and his main purpose is to help with a Boy Scout event teaching canoeing on the Missouri River below Yankton, SD. They will acclimate the boys as to how to do it, then canoe down the river from about Vermillion/Tabor SD to Sioux City the next few days, camping overnight, as I understand it. He is an expert white water canoe guy. Can't imagine why anyone would do that, but to each his own fun! In his other life, he is a college instructor and part-time chiropractor in Missouri.

Miss Ella, you seem more relaxed and accepting since the retreat, so just 'letting and letting God take the lead' will get you where you will be happiest. Shorty plans to go to a horse sale in Rapid City tomorrow, along with a son and maybe a grandson, so they will have a good time, whether he finds a much needed 'perfect horse for an old man' he dreams of, or not. I have to go there for a doc app't Monday and probably should have just ridden along extended his trip a day, but have other things I want to do. Our former pastor is going to serve our church tomorrow, and don't want to miss that, either. I definitely PLAN to sleep in a bit, after a couple weeks of too many 4 and 5AM alarm clocks the past couple weeks due to brandings and other cattle work! The guys going to the sale will eat at a truck stop someplace, so no need to cook for me! If you and your mom get a chance to come out this way, or go to western SD, please remember we would love to see you and have you spend some time with us. A 'grandma' can most always make it work!

Take care. mrj

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:07 pm

East River events listed in the July - August South Dakota Magazine list at Lennox, South Dakota:
July 2 - 4 Old Fashioned 4th of July. Cruise night, street dance, car show, firecracker road race, parade, arts, music, food, kids activities and fireworks. Lennox 647-2284

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:19 pm

mrj wrote:It's great your Mom is coming to see you! Wish I knew which town in your area had the best of July 4 celebrations, but have no idea. We used to go to Ft. Pierre, as that began with a parade, in fact we drove our team and wagon in it at least once. People crowded so close to the floats and wagons that Shorty was terrified someone would be hurt! Once a gust of wind carried a paper bag rolling just above the ground right toward our horses. They simply jumped, in unison, over the bag as it blew under their feet. We were so relieved and thankful those horses handled the scarey thing so well! Those Belgians were probably the best behaved team we ever had and we enjoyed using them a lot. There also is a rodeo at Ft. Pierre. It runs afternoon and evening performances, so the fireworks display begins as soon as the rodeo ends. We may go to that one if we have family members involved in the rodeo and the weather is nice, not too hot. Some of the local communities here just do fireworks, shooting it off over a large lake, which sounds nice, but we have never seen that, usually being gone somewhere else that day. After our marathon of events the week before, we may not do much that day.

btw, Shorty's birthday party will be July 9. And we do hope we can make connections while in SF. We decided not to go to Omaha at that time.

It's beastly hot today, over 100%, but a light breeze helps a bit. Supposed to get some T-storms in a couple of days, and maybe cool off a bit. We will welcome that, just not trusting it will actually happen! Making hay has slowed for us, due to repairs being mad on a rake which naturally is the most needed machine at the moment! But the area they are working is more productive than the first they put up, and things will happen fast later today when the rake is working again!

We had a nice visit with a cousin of mine who 'detoured' to visit us and my brothers' family as he came from east of Kansas City, yesterday and his main purpose is to help with a Boy Scout event teaching canoeing on the Missouri River below Yankton, SD. They will acclimate the boys as to how to do it, then canoe down the river from about Vermillion/Tabor SD to Sioux City the next few days, camping overnight, as I understand it. He is an expert white water canoe guy. Can't imagine why anyone would do that, but to each his own fun! In his other life, he is a college instructor and part-time chiropractor in Missouri.

Miss Ella, you seem more relaxed and accepting since the retreat, so just 'letting and letting God take the lead' will get you where you will be happiest. Shorty plans to go to a horse sale in Rapid City tomorrow, along with a son and maybe a grandson, so they will have a good time, whether he finds a much needed 'perfect horse for an old man' he dreams of, or not. I have to go there for a doc app't Monday and probably should have just ridden along extended his trip a day, but have other things I want to do. Our former pastor is going to serve our church tomorrow, and don't want to miss that, either. I definitely PLAN to sleep in a bit, after a couple weeks of too many 4 and 5AM alarm clocks the past couple weeks due to brandings and other cattle work! The guys going to the sale will eat at a truck stop someplace, so no need to cook for me! If you and your mom get a chance to come out this way, or go to western SD, please remember we would love to see you and have you spend some time with us. A 'grandma' can most always make it work!

Take care. mrj

Hello "Grandma!

I hope that you are having a good week. Please do let me know when you are in the area and hopefully are able to connect. I would to see you and Shorty. Yes, I am a little more "relaxed" since the prayer retreat; I started uploading pictures here the other day from the retreat and my computer battery died as I was wrapping up the post. I will try again and share my experience as I thought it was a blessed one with some funny moments. I had another horseback ridding lesson on Monday and was assigned to "Pumpkin" the same horse I rode in my last lesson. "Pumpkin" decided when the lesson was over last time (LOL) and didn't wanted to go any further; however, on Monday, his energy level was that of a teenager. I have come to realized how much I like being around horses and I got to ride outside for the first time and it was just a perfect way to wrap up my evening. I look forward to posting a picture of "Pumpkin" here as well.

Have a blissful evening,
Ella

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:22 pm

Martin Jr. wrote:East River events listed in the July - August South Dakota Magazine list at Lennox, South Dakota:
July 2 - 4 Old Fashioned 4th of July. Cruise night, street dance, car show, firecracker road race, parade, arts, music, food, kids activities and fireworks. Lennox 647-2284

Hello Martin,
Thank you, for sharing the 4th of July celebrations for Lennox. I will definitely visit it while the celebrations are taking place.

Thanks!
Sweetbasil

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sweetbasil » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Hello Everyone,
As I mentioned before, I had the privilege of spending time in a prayer retreat over Memorial Day weekend. It has been one of the best things that I have done in my life. My little corner of the world was Saint Theresa of Avila

I spent hours praying in the middle of the night and morning in this rocking chair

My view was serene and peaceful

The whole weekend was truly a blessing. I arrived there with no expectations, just needing some down time. I am doing a Six month Bible Reading program, but came across Dr. Charles Standley's Bible, and decided to start over. It was funny how God directed me to the books of Hosea, Joel, Amos, among others that weekend. Each guest receives a basket with: two oranges, two bananas, two small loafs of homemade bread, a small block of cheese, and the best walnut muffin in the world. My eyes cound not believe that they had the honor to see a muffin in front of them after being on a diet the previous week. They were magnetized and after debating back and forth on whether I should eat it or not, I decided to enjoy it. The best part was that we could ask to get anything we would like from the basket for Sunday, and you can guess what Sweetbasil ordered... another muffin. I haven't tasted something so good in a long time. I wish I would know the recipe because it had a filling in the middle that it was so yummy that send my taste buds to the clouds. Being there gave me the opportunity to truly buried myself in the Word with no distractions and not have any schedules, but to read, pray, and rest.

I was not only blessed by the rest and wisdom I gained at the retreat, but also in my way home. I stopped at one of the stores that carries pants for short stuff like me. God blessed me that day, and I got to saved 82 percent on the pair of jeans. I feel that God is always watching over me in so many ways; and making himself known in my life. Losing weight has shown me that I am able to finally die my flesh and hearts desires because since May 21st, I haven't had a single sip of pop nor consumed a French fry! Today, I finally loss 10 pounds! For the most part, it has been an easy journey. I know it is another prayer God is in the works of answering. I am anticipating God's perfect plans for my life and breaking the three digits on the scale. I will enter another year of life late in July, and if I could do anything for my birthday, I would like to milk a cow. I like cows, but wanting to milk one has been a desire since I was a kid. Like the Fiddle on the Roof sings says "If I was a rich woman", I would buy myself a milking cow, a pair of chickens, a dog, a horse, and a tiny cabin on two acres.

May your Thursday be filled with good health and safety.

Regards,
Sweetbasil

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:19 pm

Everybody wants to milk a cow, until you have to do it twice a day everyday.lol

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:31 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Everybody wants to milk a cow, until you have to do it twice a day everyday.lol
Who wouldn't appreciate being swatted in the face with a dirty tail? :lol:

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:28 am

I remember well the time I milked my first cow. Mr. FH was guiding hunters and hadn't returned. The milk cow was at the barn, bawling. I had tried to milk several times in the past. Just couldn't seem to get the hang of it.
But I went to the barn to milk the cow.She was a gentle thing and when she let her milk down,
milk would flow out of her teats. I put her in the stanchion and gave her grain.
Just normal stuff. Then I sat down to milk. Oh my. That cow had patience. But it took a lot more grain. :nod: She would change the weight on her feet. She would cough. She would turn her head around and look at me, seeming to say "what's taking you so long?" I finally finished. Took 45 minutes but I found out there was a lot of difference between "want to" and "have to" when it comes to milking a cow. :?

I honestly think that if I put the bucket under her bag, she could have done it herself faster than I did. :D

After that, I could milk her in 10 minutes, she was that easy. One of life's things that I will never forget.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Return to “Coffee Shop”