Ranchers.net Bull Session

THOUGHTS ON WIND ENERGY by Steve Moreland, June 12, 2016

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Re: THOUGHTS ON WIND ENERGY by Steve Moreland, June 12, 2016

Postby PPRM » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:53 am

Silver wrote:
Mike wrote:Sorry to bust your bubble on Hydro, but natural gas may not always be as cheap as it is now. Just a few years ago it was cost prohibitive. I'm paying as little as $.06 per KWH on some meters and we have an abundance of hydro plants. Could geographical features and terrain have a say? Probably. I'm guessing it's partly because we have real rivers here. Not those little shallow, narrow creeks they call rivers up north.

Hydro is the REAL Renewable power source. Just not enough rivers.

You should probably quit guessing Mike, it's not working out for you. You have the whole internet at your disposal to find some unbiased information, it may serve you well to take advantage of it.
It may interest you to know that the 3 largest man made lake in North America are not in the US lol. One of the 3 is in my back yard :wink:

Yeah, I was going to say, BC has real rivers for certain.

On the cost of Hydro, Electricity out of current Dams is very cheap. However, the capital costs on those dams were incurred at a different time and in a very different world. The tearing out of the major dams on the Columbia seems to have been stopped. I think it was in conjunction with high fuel prices.
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:38 am

I've seen many of the rivers in the Northwest. They'd be called creeks here.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

corncob

Postby corncob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:16 pm

I also appreciate Steve's views on wind generators.

The one point that I don't believe I've seen yet is the destruction to local roads when the towers are installed.

Many local roads were badly damaged when wind generators were installed in my community, and no attention was given to this matter when the installations were completed. Local governments do not have the funds to make the repairs, and the federal government doesn't want to acknowledge that road damage is part of the cost of wind energy.

I have become very disappointed in the wind energy push by this administration.
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Mike wrote:I've seen many of the rivers in the Northwest. They'd be called creeks here.

;-}.... Argument with people I have never met on the internet ;-}
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 pm

PPRM wrote:
Mike wrote:I've seen many of the rivers in the Northwest. They'd be called creeks here.

;-}.... Argument with people I have never met on the internet ;-}

All of our rivers in North America are creeks compared to other places in the world Mike. If I'm not mistaken the biggest river (by flow) in North America is the St. Lawrence.
What are the big creeks you are so proud of down there besides the Mississippi?

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Alabama, Coosa, Chattahoochee, Tennessee, Tombigbee, Tallapoosa, Warrior..............just a few right here in Alabama.

Big barges, BIG BARGES, can enter in Mobile, Alabama and go all the way up to prolly Canada. Yep, we got creeks bigger than most of your rivers..........

We're well blessed with water.

Most navigable rivers and canals in the United States are in the eastern half of the country, where the terrain is flatter and the climate is wetter. The Mississippi River System, including the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway (GIWW) connects Gulf Coast ports, such as Mobile, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Houston, and Corpus Christi, with major inland ports, including Memphis, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, St. Paul, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh. The Lower Mississippi River from Baton Rouge to the Gulf of Mexico allows ocean shipping to connect with the barge traffic, thereby making this segment vital to both the domestic and foreign trade of the United States. The Mississippi River System is connected to the Illinois Waterway, which continues to the Great Lakes Waterway and then to the Saint Lawrence Seaway. Many other eastern rivers are navigable as well, including the Potomac, the Hudson, and the Atchafalaya Rivers, which are all dredged by the Army Corps of Engineers.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Those are very impressive rivers Mike. Can't seem to find them on a list of North America's largest rivers,but if you say they dwarf our rivers then that must be the case.

VB RANCH

Postby VB RANCH » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 pm

VB RANCH wrote:Some windmills for Soap
https://www.facebook.com/machineschannn ... f=NEWSFEED

Thanks, I shared this on Facebook. :cowboy:

Return to “Ranch Talk”