Ranchers.net Bull Session

How High?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: How High?

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:49 pm

It seems the 36 inches is about right for our calves, some did hesitate a bit going under. Could be a bit higher if the cows weren't pressured around it. If making a creep panel where the calves wandered back and forth for grain or shelter 40 inches would probably work.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:56 pm

Sorry you were hurt yesterday. Hope you're better today
Last edited by DejaVu on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Hayguy wrote:so..have you determined the optimum height yet ??

I think it's going to depend upon the cows and calves. Powder River makes a Calf Pass Panel that I use for creep feeding or sometimes so the calves can get to shelter. The Bars are vertical (Somewhat like a feeder panel) with an adjustable Horizontal bar. I find that adjustability handy at times.
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:13 am

So what is your final thoughts on the method, did it work well enough to sort calves off the cows in the future? Was it much faster for you that what you had been doing previously? I wondered if it would also leave all cattle involved in a little calmer state of mind, especially the calves as we know how easily they can be stirred up.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Well we had a bit more crew that usual so more pairs got split down the alley.Seemed to work but probably could be improved upon.

I can't tame wild women.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:12 pm

So when you use a gate like that at weaning, do you just sort the calves off then resort heifer, steers etc? I know a person could sure sort the cows off fast.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:49 pm

We winter everything together so since not shipping calves they run together.

I can't tame wild women.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:32 am

Wondering if anyone has any new input, and if you do it with baby calves too, like at branding

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:40 am

Nicky wrote:Wondering if anyone has any new input, and if you do it with baby calves too, like at branding

I watched the video again. The ideal sorting gate would allow you to choose how many bottom rails to swing out of the way for sorting calves at different times of the year and sizes. So, I am thinking the bottom three rails would be collared independently over the main gate frame. If you showed this to Joe Coehlo (They do the pipe rail fencing out of NW Livestock Commission in Hermiston), I think he could custom build such a gate.

As important would be getting a handle on the cattle. Cattle that are used to being worked and let by and stopped. Especially of your calves were a little used to a creep pen and you going through the cattle on horse or foot, I think you could sort like this at branding.

I'm not certain if that helps any, but best of luck

PPRM

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Building it 'in my head' I used standard heavy duty gate, hinges went to two square tubing pieces.

Said tubing pieces slide over long, smaller sq tubing, 'offset' from stout, tall post. Numerous holes a couple inches apart, to pin 'gate hinge tubing' to smaller over a couple vertical feet. Pulley on top of post, cable down to top of gate, over pulley, to winch off of wore out grain auger. Have a couple of feet of vertical adjustment, use from branding thru weaning.....

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:26 am

littlejoe wrote:Building it 'in my head' I used standard heavy duty gate, hinges went to two square tubing pieces.

Said tubing pieces slide over long, smaller sq tubing, 'offset' from stout, tall post. Numerous holes a couple inches apart, to pin 'gate hinge tubing' to smaller over a couple vertical feet. Pulley on top of post, cable down to top of gate, over pulley, to winch off of wore out grain auger. Have a couple of feet of vertical adjustment, use from branding thru weaning.....

I'm used to 6 rail gates. In your example, we'd slide off the bottom rails as needed?

PPRM

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:07 am

I was just keeping it simple and gate intact and stout. Seems like there's always one cow that would try to go under something like this deal-----this would be a standard , heavy duty gate the only 'modification' would be the hinges going to short sq tubing that could slide up and down vertically.

To change height, pull a pin and lower or raise with winch, re pin. Probably work best with second person assisting on end of gate.

Return to “Ranch Talk”