Ranchers.net Bull Session

Alfalfa

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Alfalfa

Postby Denny » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:36 pm

I've never fed any and need to buy some hay I can buy it for $65 a ton in the 16 to 18% protein and rfv around 125 give or take. If I mixed it in my silage how many pounds per day do you guys think they would need. Or can I just feed they hay on the ground daily or every other. Or should I buy some better quality for more $$$

or they have some at 17.08 pro 90.91 rfv
and 12.6 pro and 85.61 rfv for $$40 a ton
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Alfalfa

Postby Faster horses » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:48 pm

I'd stick with the 16-18% protein for $65. That's a good buy regardless.
How much moisture is in your silage? Then I can maybe help you figure it.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm sure its 65% moisture.

How about 20.9 pro 180.55 rfv for $90 a ton. Not Necessary or spend the extra money?

These are at the hay auction prices just trying to figure what to buy. I can buy 136 bales @ $65 a ton local 1st thru 4th cut all been rained on I would test that before I'd buy it but its green and very leafy.

burnt
Rancher
Rancher

Postby burnt » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:44 pm

Sounds like a real deal at $65/ton. Hay around here is selling for 10 - 12 cents/lbs. Very dry growing season until August, so 1st cut was short and guys started feeding very early this year.
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root". Henry D. Thoreau.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:14 pm

I haven't seen the hay, but I still like the $65/ton and if it hasn't been rained on, that's a plus. Grass hay doesn't bother
me if it has been rained on, but alfalfa is another story. It always affects the leaves, at least in our country.
How much of it do you want to feed? How much silage are you feeding per head/per day?
I would need to know this, if you don't mind.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:29 pm

Were feeding 40 #s of silage and 17#s of grass hay of which its between 9 and 5% protein silage should be at 8% protein. I was thinking 4 to 5 #s a day mixed in the tmr with the silage to give the leaves something to stick to.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:39 am

I am not used to figuring silage, but everything is figured on a dry matter basis, because moisture contains no nutrition.
So here is what I came up with:

40# silage@35% DM (65% moisture)=14#DM x 8% Protein=1.12# Protein
17# grass (I gave it 12% moisture-just a guess)=14.9#DM x 7% protein (halfway between 5 and 9%)=1.04# Protein
5# Alfalfa (again I figured 12% moisture)=4.4# DM x 17% protein=.748# protein
Your total DM (Dry matter) is 14 + 14.9 + 4.4 =33.3# Good!
Total Protein is 1.12 + 1.04 + .748 =2.9# Protein (higher than needed in second trimester. Maybe try 3# of alfalfa, but at the price you are getting the alfalfa, I'd just give then the 5# as fed.
You have plenty of protein, but we are guessing here, better to be too high as not enough.
This ration more than meets the the requirements at 20 degree temperature. The lower the temperature and if the cattle are wet, the more the requirements.

Energy is important, but I have no way of figuring that unless I know the TDN. With that much protein, my guess would be the energy would be okay.

If the moisture is more than I have guessed, then that throws everything out of whack. Most hay in our country is 10-12% moisture, so that is a 'book value' more or less and what I used. Can you get the moisture content of the alfalfa and/or the grass hay? It would be interesting to know if hay in that area is higher in moisture than in our country.

I like the rfv being 125 in the $65/ton hay. More value for your money IMO. That hay here would be at least twice that.

Since I don't know about silage, I'm open to comments. Feel free. :-)

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:48 am

In that amount of silage I'd bet were at 10#s of corn in itself so I'm sure the energy is complete. We also have ALL the meadow hay they want. I just measure the better feeds. So if they need filling up they can rustle thru the ruff stuff or lay on it which ever.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:49 am

Denny wrote:In that amount of silage I'd bet were at 10#s of corn in itself so I'm sure the energy is complete. We also have ALL the meadow hay they want. I just measure the better feeds. So if they need filling up they can rustle thru the ruff stuff or lay on it which ever.

Funny thing here this year Good Grass hay and bedding are worth near as much as Alfalfa.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:06 am

Check your PM's.

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:58 pm

Isn't the same deal, but we feed 5 lbs of 20ish protein alfalfa a day, figured by the cow. The rest they pick out of the corn stalks, when they get hungry, which is after it snows. We have an easier climate and don't raise bulls, yet, but that's our protein. It's not perfect, but they breed back, generally. I make sure they have 27 lbs total every day. Not perfect, but the baler can keep up. Snowed under, then the Hydra-Bed goes back to work.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 am

I sell some bulls but I don't believe in the pampered cow herd to enhance the numbers. My cows are expected to make payments in a commercial setting and that's what they do. I think the bull selling is more of a savings account than anything because lord knows I'm not getting rich doing it but I like it and it's fun.

Return to “Ranch Talk”