Ranchers.net Bull Session

Overachieving Cow dogs

Stories and questions about our best friends.
TMountainHigh

Overachieving Cow dogs

Postby TMountainHigh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:28 pm

This is my first bull session post, as I am new to the site. So... I'll say a quick friendly "hello" to everyone :D

My significant other has a ranch in Arizona. The country is extremely rough. I swear there are more rocks than dirt. And cholla cactus is a constant enemy to be-wary of! :twisted: lol So we use our Hangin Tree cow dogs a lot to help us. These dogs really do work great. I've been very impressed by their dedication and working drive. In fact they are so dedicated to staying with their cows. That they often "lose us" when we cant keep up because of the rough terrain. I have to admit that the first time we lost the dogs and had to return home without them was shocking to me :shock: I was worried all night long despite hearing "they will be fine"! lol I've since learned that yes, the dogs were fine when we found them. In fact they have been known to be gone for 2 weeks and have been fine when found.

So my question here today is: Does anyone else lose their dogs like this? :???: What methods do you use to find them or prevent them from getting lost? I've been considering and looking at the gps trackers for the dogs. If anyone has used these and can tell me which ones work or don't work, that would be very helpful :) I would also appreciate any breed specific tips if you have them, please share them. I am just getting to know these wonderful cow dogs. lol...My personal dog is a 140 lb Boerboel... he doesn't get lost as easily! Thanks much if you can help :) Happy holidays too!!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Overachieving Cow dogs

Postby Faster horses » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:51 am

Welcome to the site. When we had as many as 3 FEMALE stockdogs, they never went anywhere; whether we were home or not.
We had one female and one male later and they would not stay home. We gave one away and the male stayed home. That's not really what you were asking, though. We've never had dogs not stay with us when trailing or checking cattle. I don't blame you for worrying~2 weeks is a long time!
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

TMountainHigh

Postby TMountainHigh » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:17 am

Thank you and thank you for the reply :) The parameters you mention are much more familiar to me as well. But not the case with these dogs. They will travel with us to start out, until they catch a scent or find some cows. Then they are on them until taken off. By that I mean they will try to hold them up on most occasions. But will stay with those cows no matter how long it takes or how far they go. If we cant locate them. We will check the waters for tracks and leave dog food if they've been there. Or tie a tshirt there with our scent on it so the dogs can find it and hopefully stick there long enough to find them. Sometimes a friend will call saying they've been seen in a certain area that helps too. I appreciate knowing that you'd be worried too :) 2 days seems a long time to me... 2 weeks feels insane! But I seem to be the only one worried around here... :???: lol. I thought maybe a gps tracker could help ALL parties involved and it would make a great xmas gift as well ;) But there are so many out there to pick from. I was hoping to get some feedback from those who have hands on experience under similar conditions. Not just what works for locating a fluffy kitty cat 3 blocks away in NYC. Which is mostly the type reviews I've read so far. Plus the fact: The one I present needs to be applicable the first time to gain any credibility and persuade a stubborn cowboy to actually use it! lol Hopefully someone will see this and i will keep checking back just in case they are kind enough to help me out. :help: My search continues... wish me luck ;) lol

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:16 am

Tri-tronics/Garmin is what my bird dog friend uses. Tri tronics was the best in dog shock collars and Garmin was a GPS company and bought out Tri-Tronics. I use just a shock collar on my dogs and usually just the tone so I can get their attention to send them a different direction or if they are working a little hard to let them know to slow down.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:00 am

Our dog is a full fledged democrat he sleeps in the house never fills the woodstove, expects food on demand and attention on demand. Sleeps all the time, works none of the time but he is hell on a tennis ball. You never have to worry about where he is because he's under foot. But to his defense he's never in the way while working cattle. Soapweed would even tolerate this democrat..
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:45 pm

We have a Garmin tracking collar and it is great. I don't I'd go with the combo electric collar/tracking collar. I hear they are pretty complicated and if you don't need the e-collar it's just more money. I think it would be a great Christmas present (for both of you!)

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Nicky wrote:We have a Garmin tracking collar and it is great. I don't I'd go with the combo electric collar/tracking collar. I hear they are pretty complicated and if you don't need the e-collar it's just more money. I think it would be a great Christmas present (for both of you!)

Listen to Nicky, the voice of experience. :D :cowboy: :nod:

I can't tame wild women.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:54 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Nicky wrote:We have a Garmin tracking collar and it is great. I don't I'd go with the combo electric collar/tracking collar. I hear they are pretty complicated and if you don't need the e-collar it's just more money. I think it would be a great Christmas present (for both of you!)

Wow, I don't hear that very often!!!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:49 am

Nicky wrote:
Big Muddy rancher wrote:

Wow, I don't hear that very often!!!

If ya got it, flaunt it. :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:05 pm

I thought that was nicer then saying "Old dog person" :wink: :lol: :lol: :gag:

I can't tame wild women.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes, it was, thank you :)

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher

Postby LazyWP » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:59 pm

Flying S has had a few dogs that have taken a few days to get back home, but usually that's when the weather was hot. I have a half HanginTree, that won't quit unless you physically restrain her!

Return to “Horses & Dogs”