Ranchers.net Bull Session

feeding

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: feeding

Postby Faster horses » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:09 am

How many head can you water in that small an opening?
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:19 am

Faster horses wrote:How many head can you water in that small an opening?

We are currently watering 350 head on it. It is 3 feet across so is not really small. Several cattle drink at once so they tend not to fight over it. I think the biggest limiting factor as far as how many can be watered by it when on solar power is electrical capacity. I rigged this up with about 250 head in mind so I'm finding the batteries aren't keeping up real well now that the days are so short and cold. I have everything I need in my possession to double the electrical capacity except the will to go out and assemble it (it's -35 today). To offset this difficulty I have been topping the batteries up with a smart charger and a little Honda Whisper 2000 generator as required. Looks like it's going to be around freezing temp on Sunday so that may be my day to fiddle with it.

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:37 am

Sounds like as close to problem free as you can get!
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.
Watch your actions, they become your habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:59 pm

"wintering out' can vary widely, with us. Go 12 miles south, if you don't overstock you could get in your car and head to mexico. Go 8 miles west, and they'd starve to death. Go to mussellshell river breaks and very last thing you want to do is cake 'em. Leave them alone and they'll scatter from hell to breakfast into little bunches and do alright. If you're gonna concentrate them, about gotta go to full feed

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:46 pm

I get grief from my son as I like to feed with the backhoe better than the skidsteer. I bought 35 grass bales that are net wrapped ( I hate net wrap but 2,200# good bales at $25.00 @ and only about 12 miles away are hard to turn down )

If I feed with the skidsteer I have to turn the bale on end and unwrap then turn back on their sides and put in the feeder as I cannot open the door unless the lift is all the way down. It is also easier to get in and out of the backhoe at 68 years old.

I gave about $20.00 for a broken spear at an auction and rebuilt it to my needs - - - on the backhoe I hold the bale about 8" off the ground and unwrap and get back in and go feed. I am up higher and can see better and with 4X4 and the weight of the hoe on the rear I can go about any where I want.

If they had been wrapped with grass string I would probably use whatever was the closest.

I don't know what this was supposed to fit but I welded a plate to the underside of the bucket for a 3/4" bolt to go thru and the chain holds the weight and the angle iron brackets keep it straight - - - I have been using it for probably 10 years now - - - when I got it the spear was broken off right where the brace ends.

Easy to reach the top bales.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:14 am

I've used a Backhoe for unloading hay a few years was a pretty efficient machine. Either a backhoe or a excavator is next on my list of toys.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:48 am

Right now there are several good deals out there. We sold the old excavator and bought a 2007 JD 200C lc - - - 7,000 hours good AC and quiet cab - - - good tight machine with a 2 yd 4' bucket - - - found a 30" bucket in Wisconsin for fence row work. With the 2 yd bucket I can sure load a tri axel truck quickly!

I keep thinking of upgrading the backhoe to one with AC and a quieter cab. The 310 C I have has close to 13,000 hours on it but at 68 years old I am not sure I want to spend the money - - - if I find a deal as good as on the excavator I will trade but do not have to jump.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:38 pm

The first round bales we bought was back in 1992. We didn't have any experience with them before that. Mr FH unloaded them with our JD backhoe. We fed them with a bale spear. Pretty simple. Of course from there on it got more complicated. Bale processor; bale buncher....big tractor with loader......all the fun things........ :wink:

I do have to say with the bale processor we put a scale under it and we knew just how much hay we were feeding. Amazing how the hay weights differ. It cost $2500 for that scale and I figured 50 ton of hay at $50/ton would pay for it. It paid for itself the first hay we got in.....they said the hay weight was 1200-1300#; our scale said 900# and Mr. FH didn't think they were 1200# bales when he was unloading them. Took a load to town to weigh and sure enough 900#. Huge difference. We got the seller to adjust the price......more than paid for the scale.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:51 pm

George is a excavator like that one worth?

Seems up here they are real big ones or little ones. That is a nice size to haul.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:51 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:George is a excavator like that one worth?

Seems up here they are real big ones or little ones. That is a nice size to haul.

If you get one BMR make sure it comes with a hydraulic thumb, it makes me handy machine an indispensable machine. I paid $34,000 for this machine with the digging and a cleanup bucket, proheat, full guarding, new engine etc, 10,000 h machine well maintained and tight.

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:37 pm

George's looks a little over 40k, this one a little over 50k (pounds)

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:George is a excavator like that one worth?

I feel we stole it for $25,000 - - - weighs in at 44,000# - - - 11' wide - - - this was a one owner machine by the biggest "basement contractor" in the area. Very tight and we even got the dealer to do a 2,000 hour service - - - we ended up paying $1,500 for the 30" bucket plus $300.00 shipping - - - I did not want to drive to Wisconsin for $300

I am still looking for a quick coupler for it. I have a manual thumb I will install and with the fence rows we will be taking out I want everything on the end of the boom as simple as possible as it will be feeding fire a lot and the less out there that can catch fire the better.

The Komatsu 180 PC we had we bought for $14,000 eleven years ago and sold it for $14,000 at auction last fall, I do think it was in better shape when we sold it than when we bought it. It was nice weighing 28,000# and only 9' wide so I could pull it behind a single axle dump truck but we have a detachable gooseneck for a semi and 3 road tractors - - - around here if you want a 50,000# or larger machine you can get them real cheap! Nice if you just want to use them on your own property.

Return to “Ranch Talk”