Ranchers.net Bull Session

border collie puppies

Stories and questions about our best friends.
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: border collie puppies

Postby Faster horses » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Not that we haven't used dogs around young pairs. Our good dog would watch the gate when we paired out. She knew just what to do and where to be. She was like having another person there and she didn't make many mistakes. Those cows had so much respect for her, honestly we would move cows with Mr. FH in the lead and me bringing up the rear horseback. She would come back to check on me and while most dogs would go out and around the cows, she would go right down the middle of them; the cows never bothered her, just let her through. She gave no quarter. That was one tough smart dog. She never ever barked at a cow either. Next dog was a real nice Aussie Heeler cross and pretty worthless. He ruined the cows because he was afraid of them and they learned that real quick. Interesting.

We would NEVER take our good dog, or any of our working dogs to a place where the cows weren't used to dogs. It just wasn't fair to the dog and would have caused a lot of problems.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

hopalong
Rancher
Rancher

Postby hopalong » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:53 pm

around the trials of working dogs they insist on using cattle that are totally unused and not familiar with dogs,, that's why when I was training I went to the sale barn and brought the rankest cattle i could buy to work with my dogs I think you will find most trainers feel that way,,,,,,,,ANY decent dog can work stock that are used to being worked,,,, a good dog will make those rank ones p***y cats..
jmho
The lack of a major education does not equate to lack of intelligence, However a college education does not equate to intelligence!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:34 pm

hopalong wrote:around the trials of working dogs they insist on using cattle that are totally unused and not familiar with dogs,, that's why when I was training I went to the sale barn and brought the rankest cattle i could buy to work with my dogs I think you will find most trainers feel that way,,,,,,,,ANY decent dog can work stock that are used to being worked,,,, a good dog will make those rank ones p***y cats..
jmho

DogS (plural) being the key. :D ) One dog in a bunch of cattle that aren't dog broke is at a real disadvantage. Besides getting the cattle riled up, you get the owner riled up. If they wanted dogs on their cattle, they would have dogs. That's when we leave our dog/dogs at home. :D

hopalong
Rancher
Rancher

Postby hopalong » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:04 pm

2 good dogs can replace 5 cowboys on horses, plus there are trials that use more than one dog on a herd of cattle,, work as a team, so I beg to differ with you????" but every one has an opinion on using dogs, guess that's why there are so many breeders and trainers around the US making more money on the ,,,dogs than they do cattle,,, look at it this way a good breeder will get 6 (av) ina litter, each puppy untrained will go out the door in 8 weeks, and bring $750 up that's only a bout $4500 bucks for 8 or 9 weeks,,,, besides the puppies are cute :D :D :D :D :D :D
The lack of a major education does not equate to lack of intelligence, However a college education does not equate to intelligence!

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Interesting thread. There probly are quite a few cowboys like those 5! Just as there are too many dogs that aren't great at working cattle. Good that there are also some that are great at either style of working cattle!

mrj

WB

Postby WB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 am

MRI, till you have seen one in action you won't understand, I once was on your side of the fence. I never grew up around a real working dog. I shudder to think what mine might be if he had a real trainer. The cattle handle totally different after they are exposed to dogs it is really hard to explain in words.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:55 am

The only 'fence' I'm on one side of is working cattle easily without getting them spoiled! Whether with dogs or horses, the important thing is keeping the cattle moving easily. And I believe that depends on all involved, cattle, dogs or horses, and especially those handling the horses or dogs. I doubt there is any method that doesn't end in the occasional debacle, even with the best of 'hands' (which I mean to include cowboys, dogs, and horses!) The cattle are a whole other entity, given their occasional episodes I can only attribute to 'wrong sign of the moon for working cattle'. Thankfully, that is rare around here!

I believe I've stated previously that it is really fun and interesting to watch good handlers and good dogs working sheep or cattle.

mrj

hopalong
Rancher
Rancher

Postby hopalong » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:31 pm

thanks for all who shared an interest in my puppies,, glad to say they have all been sold,,,all but one went to ranches to become working dogs, the other one I donated to the VFW to be trained as a service dog for PSTD patients,,, second one I have donated like that.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Good for you! :clap: :cowboy: :D

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:09 am

hopalong wrote: the other one I donated to the VFW to be trained as a service dog for PSTD patients,,, second one I have donated like that.

That's really nice to hear. Good on you.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 am

That was a great thing to do.

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher

Postby LazyWP » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:23 am

I have used my dog in cattle that have never seen a dog, and where there have been a lot of coyotes. It was tough for about a week, until the cattle got used to her. She/we would get swarmed when I would ride through them, but as long as Tators stayed with me and the horse, the cattle eventually got used to her.
A good down is extremely important, in my books. No I AM NOT a dog trainer, but my dog save many miles on me, my horses, and the 4 wheeler.
She is a female, and if I tease her wrong before we leave the house, she MAY just decide to take the day off. I kinda think she may be union, or something. She will work 5 days, then takes a day off.

Return to “Horses & Dogs”