Ranchers.net Bull Session

Yak Traks

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Yak Traks

Postby PPRM » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:09 pm

We sometimes get pretty bad Ice Storms and freezing rain here. A few years ago, I came across some "Chains for shoes" called Yak Traks. This morning was the first occasion I have had to use them. i slipped them over my muck boots as I went out to water. Pretty good and certainly worth preventing a fall.

Be safe everyone!
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Yak Traks

Postby Nicky » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:03 pm

They are awesome, have used them for years. Can be tricky on tractor steps tho. Right now we need snowshoes instead of chains.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Are there two styles? Imperfect recall says I've seen or heard of a type that has a sharp, pointy tread, and another that has a coil type without the 'sharp shod' effect, so as to give some traction, but not ruin indoor floors (as in a business, or home, with me assuming that means no mud on the shoe!). I think someone on this ranch has some 'sharpies'. For me, something easy to slip on and off would be a good thing. And, they shouldn't 'ball up' when snow gets soft like today with our 40+% temp.

mrj

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:37 pm

mrj wrote:Are there two styles? Imperfect recall says I've seen or heard of a type that has a sharp, pointy tread, and another that has a coil type without the 'sharp shod' effect, so as to give some traction, but not ruin indoor floors (as in a business, or home, with me assuming that means no mud on the shoe!). I think someone on this ranch has some 'sharpies'. For me, something easy to slip on and off would be a good thing. And, they shouldn't 'ball up' when snow gets soft like today with our 40+% temp.

mrj

If you go to the website, it appears more than 2 styles. Yes, slip on and off easily. I have the milder coil style. My many years of marriage has me hesitant to risk floor damage though ;-}
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

burnt
Rancher
Rancher

Postby burnt » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:10 am

PPRM wrote:
mrj wrote:Are there two styles? Imperfect recall says I've seen or heard of a type that has a sharp, pointy tread, and another that has a coil type without the 'sharp shod' effect, so as to give some traction, but not ruin indoor floors (as in a business, or home, with me assuming that means no mud on the shoe!). I think someone on this ranch has some 'sharpies'. For me, something easy to slip on and off would be a good thing. And, they shouldn't 'ball up' when snow gets soft like today with our 40+% temp.

mrj

If you go to the website, it appears more than 2 styles. Yes, slip on and off easily. I have the milder coil style. My many years of marriage has me hesitant to risk floor damage though ;-}

Oh I see, it's not just slipping on ice that results in concussion? ;-)
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root". Henry D. Thoreau.

mwj

Postby mwj » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:48 am

There are several companies that make something similar to slip over your boots. Browse the ice-fishing section at the sports store and they can be found. Here in the Midwest they usually order only one time for ice-fishing equipment, so they should be purchased early.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:12 pm

Work wear and safety shops generally have large selections of them.

Return to “Ranch Talk”