Ranchers.net Bull Session

Plastic hay ring ?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Kansascattle

Plastic hay ring ?

Postby Kansascattle » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Anyone have any experience with plastic hay rings not sure what exactly the plast is.

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Plastic hay ring ?

Postby jodywy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:36 pm

don't think the be to practical at -40
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:37 pm

I don't have any myself but a friend on the prairies uses them and they work great. They are made of 4 inch, heavy wall plastic pipe. The rounds are fused together and the uprights are coped and bolted to three of four rounds. Very light weight and durable. They never freeze down because cattle are moving them constantly. Not recommended for bulls. There is a website for a builder in Manitoba, My friend bought a fuser and pipe and built them himself.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 4Diamond » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:59 am

We use some but without a skirt kit and extra bars they seem to waste a fair amount of hay in my opinion.

cowwrangler

Postby cowwrangler » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:31 am

my neighbor has one that's 12 years old,cost more but outlast the metal ones
Nature gave us all something to fall back on, and sooner or later we all land flat on it.

Butasha

Postby Butasha » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:26 pm

I will start by saying our ranch is in South Texas so we dont have any freezing issues. We put out 5 bails of hay each week during the winter and 3 of the rings are made of plastic tubing and in my opinion do a much better job than the two metal rings that we currently have in place. We are currently running 150ish head of mostly Brahmas and two of the bulls are big boys and the tail gate of my ranch truck can testify to just how much damage they can do when excited. The plastic tubing rings have been doing a pretty good job for approximately 8 years now.

Return to “Ranch Talk”