Ranchers.net Bull Session

Orphan-No-More

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Orphan-No-More

Postby Silver » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks to Soapweed and others for recommending this product. Toward the end of last calving season I ordered some Orphan-No-More from the States (it's not available in Canada) but did not have the opportunity to try it.
Yesterday morning we had a cow calving in the barn. Upon checking in on her we found her cleaning off a dead calf. Hard to say the cause, if I were a betting man I'd wager it was the old bag over the head trick. Anyway, I pulled the calf out of her stall up to the hospital end of things and considered skinning it and putting the hide on the 3 day old twin calf that was bellering away across the alley from the cow. But then I remembered Soapweed's recommendation so I took the twin, watered her down fairly good with a bottle of water, rubbed a liberal amount of product from ears to arse and slid the calf so just it's back was in the stall with the cow. The cow came and smelled and was instantly interested so I pushed the calf the rest of the way in and the rest is history.
Was it just good luck? I don't know for sure, but I know I will try it again when the circumstances warrant it.

turning grass into beef

Re: Orphan-No-More

Postby turning grass into beef » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Hey Silver; Where did you get it from? Did they ship it directly to you or did you have to get a friend to bring it up for you? I would be interested in trying some, but the place I contacted said that they could not send it to Canada.
"I've never been rich enough to be able to afford poor bulls" - Northern Rancher

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:22 pm

turning grass into beef wrote:Hey Silver; Where did you get it from? Did they ship it directly to you or did you have to get a friend to bring it up for you? I would be interested in trying some, but the place I contacted said that they could not send it to Canada.

It was shipped directly to me, but who it was escapes my memory although Valley Vet comes to mind. I do recall that many places wouldn't ship to Canada. I'm not sure it's BSE approved :???:

edit to add: After a bit of searching I see it on Amazon and they claim to ship it to Canada

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:06 pm

It's good stuff. I'd hate to go back to ranching when we didn't have O-No-Mo, esophageal milk feeders, powdered colostrum, Hydra-Bed pickups, and Polaris Rangers. These five items have vastly improved ranching in modern times. :-)

turning grass into beef

Postby turning grass into beef » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 pm

Valley Vet is who I tried, but they won't ship it to Canada. I will give Amazon a try. Thanks
how much of the 9 oz. bottle do you use per calf?
"I've never been rich enough to be able to afford poor bulls" - Northern Rancher

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:58 am

turning grass into beef wrote:Valley Vet is who I tried, but they won't ship it to Canada. I will give Amazon a try. Thanks

Soapweed could speak better to this than I, but the instructions say a liberal amount, like a couple of ounces. I think you really want to work into the hair from ears to down over the rear where mom likes to sniff while the calf is sucking.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:49 pm

We use it too, sure alot easier than skinning calves!

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:55 pm

turning grass into beef wrote:Valley Vet is who I tried, but they won't ship it to Canada. I will give Amazon a try. Thanks

A bottle will probably do about five or six calves.

turning grass into beef

Postby turning grass into beef » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:37 pm

thanks

bmstein

Postby bmstein » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Soapweed, you were tougher when I worked for you.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:01 pm

bmstein wrote:Soapweed, you were tougher when I worked for you.

A couple old sayings come to mind:

"It's not the years; it's the miles."

"Glamour tends to dissolve in sweat."

And there are probably others. :cboy:

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:13 pm

bmstein wrote:Soapweed, you were tougher when I worked for you.

He was tough enough to contract West Nile and live to tell about it.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Return to “Ranch Talk”