Ranchers.net Bull Session

Traveling

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
MBINGSLEY7

Traveling

Postby MBINGSLEY7 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Hey all, New to the forum. Thought i would finally sign up and ask a question that's come up recently.

I am currently working on getting my property set up to start running cattle. I have about 60 acres and i plan to start fencing it in and have a pond dug out, get a good solid operation set up. This is my dream, my goal in life. This is what i want to be my main event.

My question.....A job opportunity has come up, that would be a nice raise and would get me to my goal/dream MUCH faster. Like within the next 2-3 years I could be fully operational. But the job will require travel. Not much, just 1 to maybe 2 nights a week or every other week.

My concern is with traveling, and having a cattle operation at home, would i be stupid to be across the country and expect the farm to stay safe. I wouldn't run much more than 10 head starting out. Would be plenty of pasture/water.

And i dont plan on retiring from my 8-5 job until my house is paid off.

Any thoughts or experiences yall have had with your ranch and primary job....?

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Traveling

Postby Faster horses » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:55 pm

First question, where are you located and how far from town?

Good luck, BTW and welcome to the forum.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

graybull

Postby graybull » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:05 pm

You will be fine.......if you set your operation up right. Not a big deal to be gone for that amount of time. I routinely leave for a week or better at a time.......with no help......and do well.

MBINGSLEY7

Postby MBINGSLEY7 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:56 am

Faster horses wrote:First question, where are you located and how far from town?

Good luck, BTW and welcome to the forum.

I am located in Northern Kentucky. Just south of the Cincinnati area. And town isn't to far, 15 to 20 minutes to the city, 30 minutes to Cincinnati.

I was thinking along the lines, that as long as i put a little extra into my fence, and make sure the pastures are well taken care of, the cattle wouldn't have any reason to wanna leave.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:40 am

I was wondering due to the fact that if you were close to town, that could be an issue if you were gone for a few days; so that isn't the case; and if you were where it was cold you might have water freezing issues; again not the case.

Good fences make good neighbors and good cattle. :D

If you buy cattle from someone that has let them get out of fences, they will try it at your place, so again, good fences make
good cattle. We bought some cows once from a guy that didn't have good fences. Those cows would really test a fence. If they
did get out you can bet the 'lead' cow was always in the bunch that were not where they were supposed to be.

IMO, you will be able to leave for a few days, long as your cows have good feed and good water along with good fences.

Good luck.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

MBINGSLEY7

Postby MBINGSLEY7 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 am

Faster horses wrote:I was wondering due to the fact that if you were close to town, that could be an issue if you were gone for a few days; so that isn't the case; and if you were where it was cold you might have water freezing issues; again not the case.

Good fences make good neighbors and good cattle. :D

If you buy cattle from someone that has let them get out of fences, they will try it at your place, so again, good fences make
good cattle. We bought some cows once from a guy that didn't have good fences. Those cows would really test a fence. If they
did get out you can bet the 'lead' cow was always in the bunch that were not where they were supposed to be.

IMO, you will be able to leave for a few days, long as your cows have good feed and good water along with good fences.

Good luck.

Great advise! Ill be sure to make the fence the highlight of the ranch!

What i was thinking about doing, was 5 feet tall fence. Woven wire on the outside of the post, and doing 3-4 strands of barb wire on the inside...

Cowpuncher

Postby Cowpuncher » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Fence seems like overkill. We had a ranch with 80 miles of fence . Mostly new.
I would take a trip around and see what the neighbors had and how it worked.

CP
If it was easy, someone would have already done it.

High Plains

Postby High Plains » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 am

The woven wire is going to be expensive and overkill unless you plan to run sheep or goats. My thoughts are to put use 5-wire barbed with the wires perfectly spaced, a bit closer together on the bottom two and a bit wider on up from there. I'm sure there are specifics from some fencing experts somewhere on the net.

If water and feed are properly considered and the fences are good, there's no reason not to pursue a job that will help reach your goals faster with some overnight travel. A high school kid would also make a cheap cattle-checker at times of extra concern due to weather.

Good luck.
HP

MBINGSLEY7

Postby MBINGSLEY7 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:21 am

High Plains wrote:If water and feed are properly considered and the fences are good, there's no reason not to pursue a job that will help reach your goals faster with some overnight travel. A high school kid would also make a cheap cattle-checker at times of extra concern due to weather.

Good luck.

Thats great advise!

Thanks guys

Kosmo1

Postby Kosmo1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Hello MBINGSLEY7,

I am not sure if all would agree with my advice but I would think 5 strand barbed wire fence evenly spaced would be more than sufficient. However, I assume you aren't cost-sharing your fence with any neighbors and are taking the full financial load yourself. In which case I would put all of your wires on the inside of your posts because you are trying to keep cattle in and are not trying to keep critters outside of your boarder fence from coming in. By stapling your wires on the inside of your posts the cattle have to push the wires against the posts secured by the staples, whereas wire on the outside of your posts are only secured by the staples.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:49 pm

I like the woven wire idea 42" with 2 barbs you can rest easy knowing that they are staying in. All though a bit more expensive worth it in my opinion along highways nothing sucks worse than an animal getting hit the ramifications could get very costly.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:43 am

It would be good to cooperate with a neighbor to share labor and equipment. If you're younger, perhaps an older neighbor could serve as a mentor while you offer more physical help. Personally, I'd put wheels under anything that needed a 5' tall fence. That's very productive country. You'll likely want to use electric cross fences to better utilize your grazing potential.

Return to “Ranch Talk”