Ranchers.net Bull Session

Good movie!

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 27832
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT

Good movie!

Postby Faster horses » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 pm

We went to "Going in Style" at the movie theater this evening. Good movies are few and far between these days; this
movie was really good!! Morgan Freeman; Michael Caine; Alan Arkin with a little Ann-Margaret thrown in.

Image
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

User avatar
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 21318
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Big Muddy valley
Contact:

Re: Good movie!

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:06 pm

A little Ann-Margaret is always good :D :cowboy:
Avatar by Haymaker

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 27832
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT

Re: Good movie!

Postby Faster horses » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:58 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:A little Ann-Margaret is always good :D :cowboy:


:lol2: That's what I hear. Heard it again after the movie. :lol:
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

User avatar
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 21318
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Big Muddy valley
Contact:

Re: Good movie!

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Did you see "A dog's Purpose" ?
Avatar by Haymaker



I can't tame wild women.



But I can make tame women wild.

User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 27832
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT

Re: Good movie!

Postby Faster horses » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Yes, I went with my sister-in-law. It was good.
Are you watching "The Son" on AMC? Wow, it's really good. Glad to have a different series to watch; and now Heartland Season 10
is on UPtv here in the US. That's my favorite. Interesting watching some of the actors age; Jack (Grandpa) doesn't seem to age
much and he's so good in this series, among all those women. I miss Mallory, but she may return. I hope so. She was a pistol.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

mrj
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 4509
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:19 am
Location: SD

Re: Good movie!

Postby mrj » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 pm

It's been a very long time since we went to a movie. Just not enough that look to be good ones.

However, a few years ago the town of Philip, SD celebrated their centennial with a wagon train honoring the town namesake, Scotty Philip. Scotty had a ranch near what became the town, and he moved down the Bad River to new location near the town of Ft. Pierre. A young film maker from Denver, with local roots, Justin Koehler, was hired to film it. He made an interesting movie, on the life of that very interesting man who is credited with saving the buffalo from extinction. It was titled "The Buffalo King". Our family participated in the wagon train, so we 'had to' see the movie. It was very good, and many people not so involved as we were felt the same way.

One thing led to another, and with Ft. Pierre also being the home of nine time champion Saddle Bronc rider, Casey Tibbs, film maker Justin became interested in the possibility of making a film on the life of Casey Tibbs.

This past Wednesday night, the film Floating Horses: The Life of Casey Tibbs, directed by Justin Koehler was shown at the Black Hills Film Festival in Rapid City. In the movie, Justin did justice to the fantastic rodeo career of Casey Tibbs, but he broadened the focus to get into the mind of the man, and also to show Casey as an actor, and stuntman, with interviews and video of many friends of Casey, put together making it seem almost as if it was a 'live' movie from his life. A life lived pretty large and wild at times. I being quite young when Casey Tibbs was in his heyday, maybe seeing him actually ride a time or two, but hearing many of the stories of him, belive this movie is very well done. We will be glad to see it again. It is scheduled for more film festivals, and we don't know when it will come out in theaters, or how it will be distributed, but if anyone gets a chance to see it and you like rodeo, there is a little of that in it, but more of his life, and it is all interesting. We look forward to seeing it again.

mrj

User avatar
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 21318
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Big Muddy valley
Contact:

Re: Good movie!

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Faster horses wrote:Yes, I went with my sister-in-law. It was good.
Are you watching "The Son" on AMC? Wow, it's really good. Glad to have a different series to watch; and now Heartland Season 10
is on UPtv here in the US. That's my favorite. Interesting watching some of the actors age; Jack (Grandpa) doesn't seem to age
much and he's so good in this series, among all those women. I miss Mallory, but she may return. I hope so. She was a pistol.


The home town in A dog's purpose was Virden Manitoba where my daughter lives. Chicago was actully Winnipeg, I saw parts of Brandon and the farm house was near Neepawa Manitoba. So we had to see it. :D
Avatar by Haymaker



I can't tame wild women.



But I can make tame women wild.

User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 27832
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT

Re: Good movie!

Postby Faster horses » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:26 pm

mrj wrote:It's been a very long time since we went to a movie. Just not enough that look to be good ones.

However, a few years ago the town of Philip, SD celebrated their centennial with a wagon train honoring the town namesake, Scotty Philip. Scotty had a ranch near what became the town, and he moved down the Bad River to new location near the town of Ft. Pierre. A young film maker from Denver, with local roots, Justin Koehler, was hired to film it. He made an interesting movie, on the life of that very interesting man who is credited with saving the buffalo from extinction. It was titled "The Buffalo King". Our family participated in the wagon train, so we 'had to' see the movie. It was very good, and many people not so involved as we were felt the same way.

One thing led to another, and with Ft. Pierre also being the home of nine time champion Saddle Bronc rider, Casey Tibbs, film maker Justin became interested in the possibility of making a film on the life of Casey Tibbs.

This past Wednesday night, the film Floating Horses: The Life of Casey Tibbs, directed by Justin Koehler was shown at the Black Hills Film Festival in Rapid City. In the movie, Justin did justice to the fantastic rodeo career of Casey Tibbs, but he broadened the focus to get into the mind of the man, and also to show Casey as an actor, and stuntman, with interviews and video of many friends of Casey, put together making it seem almost as if it was a 'live' movie from his life. A life lived pretty large and wild at times. I being quite young when Casey Tibbs was in his heyday, maybe seeing him actually ride a time or two, but hearing many of the stories of him, belive this movie is very well done. We will be glad to see it again. It is scheduled for more film festivals, and we don't know when it will come out in theaters, or how it will be distributed, but if anyone gets a chance to see it and you like rodeo, there is a little of that in it, but more of his life, and it is all interesting. We look forward to seeing it again.

mrj


Thanks for the review, mrj. I shall definitely watch for it. I wrote down "The Buffalo King" and will look for that. You are correct; good movies are few and far between. The previews before the movie were terrible. There wasn't one I would go see--and the sound effects were deafening in all of them!! I choose movie-going very carefully. I worked at the movie theatre when I was in high school and they are fascinating to me, but for 22 years we lived 80 miles from the nearest theatre so didn't go very often. I remember we made the drive to see "All the Pretty Horses" and I hated that movie. Mr. FH watches it on tv from time to time and as I pass by, it doesn't seem so bad now, but at the time, I thought that 160 mile round-trip was a waste of time! And I have no respect for Matt Damon, now more so than then.

My dad was a Casey Tibbs fan for life. Remember Txtibbs that used to post here? He is a relative of Casey Tibbs (and a real jokester--wish he was still posting.)

BMR--those kind of 'insides' are interesting and yes, you HAD to go. Wish I had known what you posted before I went. Kind of like "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" was filmed in Buffalo, Wy and there were a lot of people we knew that appeared in that movie. It wasn't all that good, though. :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

User avatar
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 21318
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Big Muddy valley
Contact:

Re: Good movie!

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:50 am

I used to buy bulls from Dale Fellman at Jordan MT. Mrs Fellman gave me some Fellman Ace Hardware Tee shirts for the kids.Tiffany my oldest wasn't that impressed with it until I took them down on a vacation and Dale showed them the clip from Jurassic Park where the actor was wearing one of their shirts.
Avatar by Haymaker



I can't tame wild women.



But I can make tame women wild.

User avatar
TexasBred
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 4310
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:11 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Good movie!

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Don't know if it's what you folks like but wife and I watched one called "UNBRANDED" about a small group of college graduates and training wild mustangs and then making the ride from the Mexican border to the Canadian border. Pretty entertaining.

Unbranded follows four men and sixteen mustangs on an epic 3,000-mile journey from Mexico to Canada through the American West to inspire adoptions for the 50,000 wild horses and burros in government captivity.
Nothing but a beggar trying to show other beggars where I found bread.

User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 27832
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT

Re: Good movie!

Postby Faster horses » Mon May 01, 2017 5:34 pm

I have been wanting to see that, TexasBred, but don't know where to catch it.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

User avatar
TexasBred
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 4310
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:11 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Good movie!

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 16, 2017 11:37 am

Faster horses wrote:I have been wanting to see that, TexasBred, but don't know where to catch it.

FH I think the wife got the Netflix video
Nothing but a beggar trying to show other beggars where I found bread.


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron