Ranchers.net Bull Session

Testing bulls

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Testing bulls

Postby 4Diamond » Tue May 16, 2017 4:32 am

Agree with the last two posters. Always frustrates me when I see a magazine cover or article with someone hugging a bull. I think this gives the wrong message by giving the appearance that bulls are teddy bears. We tested bulls about 20 days ago and I was quite frank with my help I reminded them these bulls can kill you and not think twice about it, no pet bulls on this operation.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue May 16, 2017 7:21 am

Testing the herd bulls is the most stressful day of the year for me.
For quite awhile now it's been just my daughter and the vet with me and we have good facilities so we don't have much for problems but I worry about getting in the pen and moving them and having the bull getting away from a fight running over someone or pushed into.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Tue May 16, 2017 7:40 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Testing the herd bulls is the most stressful day of the year for me.
For quite awhile now it's been just my daughter and the vet with me and we have good facilities so we don't have much for problems but I worry about getting in the pen and moving them and having the bull getting away from a fight running over someone or pushed into.

Dr. Butler and his helper hard at work

Using the Kosmo Kid's new korral

The Kosmo Kid supervising

The ones that are done

We were fortunate that the weather behaved beautifully on the day we tested bulls this year. It was actually rather relaxing, even though it could be compared to watching paint dry. :cboy:

I'm kind of glad we tested bulls this year, because 15% of them flunked. Good thing they were inexpensive (sounds better than "cheap") bulls to start with.

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RSL » Tue May 16, 2017 9:13 am

Nice pics Soap. It looks like a nice lazy day...
I have always disliked halter broke bulls and lead broke bulls even more. I think the reduction in their flight zone can create some quite dangerous situations and bulls that are broke to lead have the whole flight zone thing ass backwards, following instead of moving away. This is a bad thing if you are trying to move a "normal" herd of cows.
I agree with the whole cuddling bulls or cows thing. Cattle are pretty big, and even an accidental flip of the head can be pretty devastating. I know some folks that have been hospitalized, paralyzed and worse. Attention is always a good thing and it is actually the only reason I ever recall yelling or being yelled at in a corral (mostly due to my lack of attention in my younger days). I believe the "WAKE UP!!!" call is universal in some form or another in potentially dangerous ranching situations.
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

GM888

Postby GM888 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:52 am

Testing the herd bulls is the most stressful day of the year for me.

I agree BM
. My facilities are not the best for bulls. Try to wait till cows are vaccinated because I usually have repairs.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue May 16, 2017 4:22 pm

I like all the advice. It all is right on, in my book.

Little story I will share. When we went to SW Montana in 1975, we took some 2 year-old horned Hereford bulls with us for breeding. That place didn't have any corrals when we bought it. Just a small pen. One of the bulls got hoof rot and we got him in the pen and then thought, "now what?" Mr. FH roped the bull, intending to dally around a post. When he roped the bull, the bull stepped up and LED to the post. That was quite a surprise.

But we would never trust a bull.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Tue May 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Test every bull, every year.

Preg test every cow, every year.

Vaccinate for everything that is a threat in your area.

Never miss a chance to cull a bad one.

Good facilities make handling cattle much easier.

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

GM888

Postby GM888 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:21 am

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement

Yep

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Wed May 17, 2017 8:04 am

RSL wrote:Nice pics Soap. It looks like a nice lazy day...
I have always disliked halter broke bulls and lead broke bulls even more. I think the reduction in their flight zone can create some quite dangerous situations and bulls that are broke to lead have the whole flight zone thing ass backwards, following instead of moving away. This is a bad thing if you are trying to move a "normal" herd of cows.
I agree with the whole cuddling bulls or cows thing. Cattle are pretty big, and even an accidental flip of the head can be pretty devastating. I know some folks that have been hospitalized, paralyzed and worse. Attention is always a good thing and it is actually the only reason I ever recall yelling or being yelled at in a corral (mostly due to my lack of attention in my younger days). I believe the "WAKE UP!!!" call is universal in some form or another in potentially dangerous ranching situations.

" I think the reduction in their flight zone can create some quite dangerous....."

EXACTLY!! They are not my buddies or pets. I want to be the alpha dog--if I step in, they step back. I don't want them wild, scared or fearful. I do want a healthy respect and I want their flight zone to be maintained

Return to “Ranch Talk”