Ranchers.net Bull Session

How'd calving go?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Haytrucker

How'd calving go?

Postby Haytrucker » Thu May 11, 2017 8:43 pm

I know every year is different for nearly every outfit. We got by real easy this year except for crooked front legs in one bunch and malpresentations. Calf losses were minimal until half done and that coincided with our twins. Backwards zapped us. A couple things I haven't seen before. Knock wood, only lost one aged calf, and doctored maybe 6.

Haytrucker

Re: How'd calving go?

Postby Haytrucker » Thu May 11, 2017 8:55 pm

I should mention that two of my pet 5 yr olds will be leaving. The one calved at an awkward time and got it killed this year. First time she hasn't been thru the barn... The other must have got mastitis chasing the decoy 4-wheeler when we tagged her calf. We were busy enough we about starved a draft calf... My bad.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu May 11, 2017 10:30 pm

Oh the joys of calving!

We are getting closer to the end but a little ways to go yet,Doing pretty good.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Fri May 12, 2017 6:48 am

This has been a pretty good calving year. We branded again yesterday, and are mostly done with what are born. We still have
some calves out of real old cows and "selling cows" that are in another bunch, plus about 25 cows that are yet to calve. We leave the bulls out for 90 days, figuring a late calf is better than "no calf." We did have one yearling heifer that got bred while still sucking her mother, but she had a nice calf and seems to be able to raise it.

Big Swede
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Swede » Mon May 15, 2017 7:15 am

I'll let you know in a month. Cows started a week ago.
"The only people who should work at night are whores and thieves." - Northern Rancher

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RSL » Mon May 15, 2017 8:29 am

Struggle here. Started in a snow storm, had another storm about a week later (after 2 nice days). Lost quite a few calves. It was wet and cold and frustrating. I spent a week covered in mud and burned more fuel checking cows over Easter than I used all winter feeding 500 head. a calf had less than 20 minutes to be up and going or it was dead. When the weather smartened up calving has been a 5 minute a day job. We will move things back next year, but bred early last year in order to make it to my brothers wedding.
We did get a bottle calf out of the deal that we saved, but have no idea who the mom is after it spent a day+ in the house. I agree with Soap in a different context. A late calf is better than no calf, and a heck of a lot better than a dead calf.
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

rancherfred

Postby rancherfred » Mon May 15, 2017 8:43 am

Just getting started. We are running about 2:1 heifers to bulls. Not such a great deal when I was hoping to keep some bulls out of my AIing.

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Mon May 15, 2017 10:53 pm

We have heard some neighbors have had sick calves, and still do. Our weather left us alone, except for wind. Didn't bother. RSL, I have fought that battle, and I feel for you. It's a lot easier to barn and splint a calf, than not have enough barn, or labor. We'll get bit hard some year, calving March 1st in corn stalks. Going to pasture now and it rained tonight. My best wishes to every one.

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Tue May 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Knocking on wood. Things are going really well. I think one of the best things we did starting about 8 years ago was having the vet check pelvic opening on Heifers. We check cows once a day anymore. I swear sometimes green grass adds a special calving lubricant.

With my life, it kind of has to be that way.
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue May 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Cattle DO calve easier on green grass.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher

Postby LazyWP » Thu May 18, 2017 7:32 am

This place is just now starting to calve. I always thought I wanted to calve May and June, but these Herefords are fight Mastitis so bad from over milk production, I am not so sure now.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Thu May 18, 2017 8:16 am

LazyWP wrote:This place is just now starting to calve. I always thought I wanted to calve May and June, but these Herefords are fight Mastitis so bad from over milk production, I am not so sure now.

Never heard of a Hereford with to much milk that's a new one for me ha ha. Just kidding we went to later calveing and that's the one thing it does sorts the poor udders.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

Return to “Ranch Talk”