Ranchers.net Bull Session

scours

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
3Rancher

scours

Postby 3Rancher » Mon May 15, 2017 5:19 pm

What do you guy's know about crypto scours? We had it this spring for the first time ever. I'm just wondering where it came from or how it got started on the place? I know it's nothing I ever want to experience again.

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Re: scours

Postby RSL » Tue May 16, 2017 8:56 am

Crypto scours are caused by a Cryptosporidium parvum organism. There is no commercially available vaccination for this that I am aware of (eg: not in scour guard). It generally only affects young calves (< 2-3 weeks of age). Cryptos are tough bugs so the options are limited, primarily to cleaning and disinfection. I believe that they can also be spore forming (read extra tough). The only treatment I know of that helps is fluids and a shot of metacam. The fluids for obvious reasons and the metacam to reduce pain, fevver and inflammation in the calf and keep it moving and hopefully sucking.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/digestive-system/cryptosporidiosis/overview-of-cryptosporidiosis
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue May 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Remember....keep the immune system strong with nutrition....mineral, etc. The immune system is everything. Without a good and proper immune system, vaccinations can't work as they should.

Good luck!
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Tue May 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Faster horses wrote:Remember....keep the immune system strong with nutrition....mineral, etc. The immune system is everything. Without a good and proper immune system, vaccinations can't work as they should.

Good luck!

Just to add to that, some years ago we tried a mineral that was made locally. My opinion at the time was that some of the people working there aren't smart enough to follow a cookie recipe, how are they going to mix consistent mineral, but it was a "bargain"? Well, they didn't. We're back to using a uniform, quality mineral. Difference in sickness, conception, etc... is night and day.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 pm

Traveler wrote:
Faster horses wrote:Remember....keep the immune system strong with nutrition....mineral, etc. The immune system is everything. Without a good and proper immune system, vaccinations can't work as they should.

Good luck!

Just to add to that, some years ago we tried a mineral that was made locally. My opinion at the time was that some of the people working there aren't smart enough to follow a cookie recipe, how are they going to mix consistent mineral, but it was a "bargain"? Well, they didn't. We're back to using a uniform, quality mineral. Difference in sickness, conception, etc... is night and day.

:clap: You are so right.

3Rancher

Postby 3Rancher » Wed May 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Yeah, the cows are on mineral tubs all winter. And a couple months before calving we switch over to bio-moss tubs. Not sure how it started but it spread like fire throughtout both calving pastures. I have treated well over 100 calves this spring. I've never been fond of tubing calves but a guy had to keep them hydrated.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed May 17, 2017 6:08 pm

I would highly suggest you put out a quality free-choiceLOOSE mineral. You aren't the first to have problems with mineral in tubs as the mineral goes in pockets, isn't spread throughout the tubs. That might help.

Or put the loose mineral out by the tubs so that they have access to it on a daily basis and you know what they are consuming.

Good luck!

Return to “Ranch Talk”