Ranchers.net Bull Session

Drought actions & advice?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Drought actions & advice?

Postby RSL » Wed May 24, 2017 8:29 am

Sounds like you are making some good decisions. Our experience with drought has taught us a few things. In 2002 we had 3/8" from the first of May to the end of September. We always have grass but we now have a formal, written plan with specific triggers. What we learned...
1) get rid of cattle early. If you are wrong and it rains you will have lots of grass, but if you are right and it doesn't you will have grass to maintain your core cowherd. We trim opens, culls, lates, etc. Waiting too long just removes forage/feed that could be used for your better cows, rather than running out of forage for the entire cow herd.
2) keep some grass cattle in your program. If it doesn't rain you can get rid of these to generate cash to supplement feed, etc.
3) it's cheaper to move cattle to feed than feed to cattle. Some folks got burned in 2002 but we had a good experience sending cows out.
4) slow down your pasture rotation to buy yourself time. If its' not raining, its not growing so you won't overgraze (use some common sense here).
5) Carry moisture insurance
6) cows definitely do not have to eat hay. If you feed test and are a bit creative you may never feed cows the same way again. In 2002/03 winter we ran cows on prairie until the end of January, we hayed native range, and we used winter cereals, etc.
7) Take some time to relax. Should probably be number 1 on the list. You don't control the weather but you can control your relationships and personal health. Easier said than done, but important!
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Wed May 24, 2017 10:21 am

Over grazing can cause terrible problems for years. The health of a plant's root system is directly proportional to the amount of top growth. You can't have forage with adequate top growth without a good root system.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Caustic Burno

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed May 24, 2017 4:02 pm

LCP wrote:Been a dry spring here so we are selling about 30% of our cows tomorrow. Everything that had not calved plus a few pairs. We may sell down some more in a few weeks when we work calves if the weather doesn't change significantly. This is the first year since I have had a significant financial interest (I've always had sweat equity!) in the operation that we have had to destock due to drought. So it is a learning experience. We have yet to turn our replacement heifers out to grass, and are thinking very seriously about keeping them in a drylot for the summer (our place or somewhere with a cheaper feed base). I'm looking at using the proceeds from tomorrow's sale to pay down operating debt and partner on some feeder cattle with a trusted associate in another part of the state that isn't so dry.

What are some of the actions or decisions you have made in the face of drought that worked well? What are some things you would avoid?

And does anyone know where I can find cheap hay for sale in north central SD? :D

In 2011 here in Texas I sold 70% of mine to save the pasture. You can't feed profit into them in a drought. Gets down to ruthless culling put the money up to play another day.
Grass in front of the cow bull behind. Rest is grass farming.

LCP

Postby LCP » Wed May 24, 2017 8:55 pm

The drought monitor has us right about in the middle of the D1 zone. Sure hate to think about what D3 would look like. Ft Pierre is advertising something like 1600 pairs and bred cows for Friday's sale, guess we are not the only ones concerned. I am very glad we sold what we did, when we did. We only kept cows that calved in the first 30 days, which I think helps set us up a little better for early weaning if needed. And I'm done calving - not that I don't like the work, there's just plenty else to do this time of year.

Next week I plan to visit every pasture and asses the forage supply to determine if we need to destock further. With many of our cool season grasses heading out I don't think we have a huge potential for additional growth even if it does rain later.

5 of the bred cows we shipped on Monday gave birth at the sale barn, one with a set of twins. All the calves survived and sold as pairs. Sometimes you get lucky I guess. I would prefer my luck to be applied toward precipitation next time.

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

Postby leanin' H » Thu May 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Drought has been a way of life in our country pretty regularly. RSL gave you some fine advice. Having a plan is key and giving yourself options sure helps too. By taking care of your grass, it will be able to pay ya back when the moisture comes. Weaning a little earlier than normal will help reduce a cows nutritional needs. I wish you luck and hope the rain shows up for ya soon.
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

I wish I could share the wet - - - We got 2" from 11:00 AM Wednesday till noon and another 1" over night - - - for the first time in 8 years I have a large State contract and need to run between 100 and 200 Tri Axel trucks daily for 3 weeks to complete on time - - - the 10 trucks contracted started coming in my gate at 8:00 AM and 63 made it prior to the downpour. The state has stopped all operations till Tuesday morning - - - hope it is dry by then! There is a "weather" clause in the comtract but I just want to get done and get paid!

The contractor loading them is using a 470 JD excavator with a 6 yd bucket - - - I am impressed he could load them that quickly! The haul is about 6 miles one way but he sure kept them coming to me!
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.
Watch your actions, they become your habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri May 26, 2017 8:14 am

George wrote:I wish I could share the wet - - - We got 2" from 11:00 AM Wednesday till noon and another 1" over night - - - for the first time in 8 years I have a large State contract and need to run between 100 and 200 Tri Axel trucks daily for 3 weeks to complete on time - - - the 10 trucks contracted started coming in my gate at 8:00 AM and 63 made it prior to the downpour. The state has stopped all operations till Tuesday morning - - - hope it is dry by then! There is a "weather" clause in the comtract but I just want to get done and get paid!

The contractor loading them is using a 470 JD excavator with a 6 yd bucket - - - I am impressed he could load them that quickly! The haul is about 6 miles one way but he sure kept them coming to me!

I doesn't seem to work out that the rain can be shared, makes you wonder why one area get to much rain and the next not enough.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Shortgrass
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shortgrass » Sat May 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Hard decisions. Many of us have made them. Changes way you manage for the better. Some neighbors sold all, and have since restocked. Some weaned calves as early as June to reduce feed requirements for the cows. I cut back numerous times. Should have sold 50% once instead of 20% three times. If you knew if is this was the middle, beginning or end of the drought it would help. You don't. Pray lots. Remember to enjoy what you have left more than you worry about what you must do. If you sell the cows to keep the ranch, it makes sense to me. A darn good life, but hard, only the very hardy survive. Best advice I would give is to enjoy what God has given you. It is his gift. Not all is in the pasture.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Sun May 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Not a bad time of the cycle to cull deep.
You can augment with 8# or 10# of corn without hitting the trip for a little over a 4bits. I doubt you have bunks in the pastures, but you can dump corn on unrolled hay on turfy grass and use most of it.

Return to “Ranch Talk”