Ranchers.net Bull Session

Cow Camps

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:35 am

Hahaha, I wasn't leavin ya hangin......not intentionally :D I'd always heard the phrase, "Oh, now don't that just chap yer ....ummm backside" but never experienced it before...till then....NOT fun!!!!
Life is a roller coaster.
You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:47 am

:shock: Ooooooooh! I see! :o

Hope it all healed up well for you. :?

Could you get the hubby to "kiss the owie?" :???:
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:49 am

So would more use of "chinks" prevent "chaps"? :???: :? :wink: :-)

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:49 am

HaHaHa, now there's a thought. "honey, would you "kiss my .........owie?" :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Life is a roller coaster.

You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!

¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸

"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

theHiredMansWife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby theHiredMansWife » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:25 pm

We never had a camp job, always an actual house on the main place, but some have been real doozies...

The Huffman ranch, between Whitman and Merriman, NE had this one bedroom house that was probably 20'x20' with the west wall knocked off to attach a trailer house (T-shaped). The whole thing was painted lime green and glowed in the moonlight.

Before we moved in, one of the guys' dogs had gotten locked in the house for about a week. The place reeked of urine and the owner's wife couldn't figure out why I'd want a Rug Doctor. :roll:

Ltdumbear

Re: Cow Camps

Postby Ltdumbear » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Been awhile since I was up there (or on this forum) unsure if the assoc-members are even running anything up there anymore on acct of drought and sage taking over everything; a prescribed-burn was being discussed but the only smoke I've ever seen coming off the Bighorns was off eastern-foothills above Buffalo.

Anyone with GPS might find these coordinates handy to locate the camp (off Hunt Mtn Rd, not far from Burgess Junction) where I worked in 95', 96' & 98':

44°39'57.26"N 107°40'51.12"W

Not sure if this link will take you to some old 35mm pics of my cowcamp I scanned a few yrs ago:

http://postimg.org/gallery/vqqp1j18
"Temet Nosce"

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Ltdumbear wrote:Been awhile since I was up there (or on this forum) unsure if the assoc-members are even running anything up there anymore on acct of drought and sage taking over everything; a prescribed-burn was being discussed but the only smoke I've ever seen coming off the Bighorns was off eastern-foothills above Buffalo.

Anyone with GPS might find these coordinates handy to locate the camp (off Hunt Mtn Rd, not far from Burgess Junction) where I worked in 95', 96' & 98':

44°39'57.26"N 107°40'51.12"W

Not sure if this link will take you to some old 35mm pics of my cowcamp I scanned a few yrs ago:

http://postimg.org/gallery/vqqp1j18

Nice you dropped by Ltdumbear. How are you, are you back in Wyoming?
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Ltdumbear

Postby Ltdumbear » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Yessir. Never left.
"Temet Nosce"

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:05 pm

I stopped at Burgess Junction once and got my Mom a Fridge magnet as Our Name is Burgess and we usually crossed path by her fridge.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:16 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:I stopped at Burgess Junction once and got my Mom a Fridge magnet as Our Name is Burgess and we usually crossed path by her fridge.

That sounds quite logical. :cboy:

Shortgrass
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Shortgrass » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:52 am

Saddletramp, I just stumbled onto this post. I know the camp. Spent a few nights there, myself. I worked for Hub McMurtrey in the 80's. We always had a cowboy there to calve. Johnny McMurtrey was the main cowboy at to stay there, but if he went somewhere, I stayed there. His horses were Bally and Funny Face. I never rode Bally, but he let me ride Funny Face. He always liked Bally best, and he must have been good. Funny Face was as good as any I had sat. Called it the Zimmerman place, I believe. As soon as we made muleys, we moved the pairs onto the Round Valley Pasture. Good memories, thanks. Speaking of memories, or lack there of, I have ran my own cattle since the 80's. This would have been the early 70's. Time flies.

LazyWP
Rancher
Rancher

Postby LazyWP » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:56 am

Be interesting to know if it still exists since Turner bought it. I know they did some trading with Kimes and Kimes may have ended up with the camp. Shane took me around there once, but I kinda forgot where we were, and was in amazement as to what all was out there.

Return to “Ranch Talk”