Ranchers.net Bull Session

Time for a new trailer

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Spanish Johhny
Member
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:26 am
Location: where the deer and the antelope play AB CA

Time for a new trailer

Postby Spanish Johhny » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:57 pm

Looking at a new Frontier aluminum stock trailer. It's parked beside a new Sundowner. Crawled in under and around and I understand that the Frontier is a cheaper trailer because its a cheaper trailer, but I'm pretty easy to please as long as they are SAFE. I do NOT want problems on the road. Any body got any opinions on these Frontiers?

redrobin
Member
Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: arkansas

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby redrobin » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:13 am

Johnny if you're getting dluminum get a wilson. You will forget about the price after you buy it. The latches, hinges, etc are much sturdier than most.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 4269
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby Traveler » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:16 am

We've been very satisfied with Wilson.

User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 27781
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby Faster horses » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:01 am

We love our Featherlite ....but there ya go, it's like
anything-pros and cons to all....and I have to say the dealer/location can make a difference.
My advice would be to buy a well-known brand because of resell value. They hold their value better.

Good luck!
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Denny
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 5608
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Mn usa

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby Denny » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:44 am

I'd buy a well known brand because they can cut corners to save cost and know one second guesses them because they are a well known brand with nice trim/sticker scheme.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

redrobin
Member
Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: arkansas

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby redrobin » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Denny wrote:I'd buy a well known brand because they can cut corners to save cost and know one second guesses them because they are a well known brand with nice trim/sticker scheme.

I'll bite. How is a Denny made trailer better than one of those junky wilsons?

Denny
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 5608
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Mn usa

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby Denny » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:07 pm

redrobin wrote:
Denny wrote:I'd buy a well known brand because they can cut corners to save cost and know one second guesses them because they are a well known brand with nice trim/sticker scheme.

I'll bite. How is a Denny made trailer better than one of those junky wilsons?


I think Wilson's are the best aluminum trailer I've seen but I've worked on a lot of name brand steel trailers and some of the things they chince on baffle me and knowone even cares because they are name-brand. All I was trying to get across is maybe the Fronteir is a great trailer at a great price. But being it isn't top shelf its not worth a look. come on. the quickest way to make a dollar is not spend it.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

User avatar
PPRM
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: NE Oregon

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby PPRM » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:12 am

Anyone tried a Merritt? I will be buying an Aluminum as I put a lot of freeway miles on it. I have a really really old Circle J for off pavement. But, it really is too much for Freeway Hauling IMO.

Lebanon Livestock Auction is pretty happy with their Merritt the first few months they had it. I've hear they are comparable to a Wilson.

My understanding is Exiss (I have a friend who hauled one for close to 10 years and sold it for the original purchase price) would be the next step down from Wilson and Merritt.
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

User avatar
4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby 4Diamond » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:14 am

My thought on buying aluminum trailers is buy whatever brand that also builds bull wagons.

Haytrucker
Member
Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:57 pm

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby Haytrucker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:21 am

A new Merritt 32 ft showed up around here last winter. We are very pleased so far. A perfect match for the F 550. Pulls easier than the 24 ft steel trailer it replaced. I have never seen a Frontier brand. My brother has an Exiss and likes it.

Ho55
Member
Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby Ho55 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:12 pm

PPRM wrote:Anyone tried a Merritt? I will be buying an Aluminum as I put a lot of freeway miles on it. I have a really really old Circle J for off pavement. But, it really is too much for Freeway Hauling IMO.

Lebanon Livestock Auction is pretty happy with their Merritt the first few months they had it. I've hear they are comparable to a Wilson.

My understanding is Exiss (I have a friend who hauled one for close to 10 years and sold it for the original purchase price) would be the next step down from Wilson and Merritt.

I've had a Merritt for 9 years. It's hauled a lot of cows on a lot of rough washboard roads. The only thing I've replaced are hub caps. It's been a dandy. Will get another when and if this one wears out.

VB RANCH
Member
Member
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:16 pm
Location: leader minnesota

Re: Time for a new trailer

Postby VB RANCH » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Wilson make's a hell of a pot, their goosenecks SUCK plain and simple


Return to “Ranch Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], farmall, rancherfred and 19 guests