Ranchers.net Bull Session

Brits not wanting US poultry

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Brits not wanting US poultry

Postby Traveler » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Angus 62

Re: Brits not wanting US poultry

Postby Angus 62 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:46 pm

They need to put EIDs in their little ears. That would make it all better.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 pm

Or maybe get it Halal certified. Diversity and such. I hear they're breeding like rabbits over there.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:27 pm

They reject us beef because of implants yet there is a booming black market for implants in europe. I think this is more of the same, but I too have misgivings about poultry processing.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Wasn't the problem with poultry processing the fact that the birds were allowed to be held in tubs (probably not the correct term, but the idea is right) of water, absorbing significant amounts of water which adds weight with the water being sold for chicken prices, AND some fecal material was absorbed along with the water?

I recall NCBA, or probably a predecessor organization as it was several years ago, fighting to get that practice eliminated. But don't recall if it was actually ended or not. The 'yuck factor' probably was helpful in that effort, but due to chicken always being cooked thoroughly, there was probably not a lot of danger from actually eating whatever got absorbed into the meat, just not right for that business to subject consumers to the contaminated water in order to make more profit.

mrj

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:26 pm

The "yuck" factor is real even though practices may be acceptable by science. Trade deals start with acceptable scientific practices, but I can see it's more complicated.

Return to “Ranch Talk”