Ranchers.net Bull Session

Looking for Views

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
m5farm

Looking for Views

Postby m5farm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 am

As most know I am a small farmer with commercial herd that up until Now 1 bull could handle. I Can AI and have been slowly progressing to that especially since the Angus bull I was running sired 60% Heifers during the 4 years I used him. I have Kept a few every year and have some Of his Granddaughters In the bunch now and those are the ones I have been AI'ing. Im culling some of the older cows As I have heifers that have first calf. I Just try and raise a quality calf that does well at the market or Private but I want good replacements to continue. I have a couple of friend that have Limo and I think that might be a good cross to introduce to my predominantly angus cows.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Looking for Views

Postby Faster horses » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 am

Limo is a good cross. We did that in the 80's. Trouble is....at that time the heifers weren't very fertile. If you could keep them
bred and in the herd til they were 4 years old, they lasted a long time. So we decided it didn't work for us, as like you, the bull calves are a by-product of breeding for replacement heifers/cows. Maybe now they have a fertile EPD for Limousin, at that time they didn't. If so, I'd really pay attention to that, or you won't like the results.

Remember that any double-muscled breed was originally bred for pulling or draft purposes. Not for milk or fertility. JMHO.

If I were you, I'd keep my herd straight black, or consider a Hereford bull to put on your black cattle. But you are diluting the heterosis after that first cross. (I'm sure there will be others here who disagree with that.)

We have friends that use Black Simmental and that's a great set of cows. He just used the Black Sims for a little bit, then goes back to Black Angus. Gotta watch the size of both Angus and Simmental or your cows will get huge. When you add performance, you also add cow size. Maybe in your area that's not a big consideration. Here in the arid west, it is.

Hope this helps.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:37 am

Faster horses wrote:Limo is a good cross. We did that in the 80's. Trouble is....at that time the heifers weren't very fertile. If you could keep them
bred and in the herd til they were 4 years old, they lasted a long time. So we decided it didn't work for us, as like you, the bull calves are a by-product of breeding for replacement heifers/cows. Maybe now they have a fertile EPD for Limousin, at that time they didn't. If so, I'd really pay attention to that, or you won't like the results.

Remember that any double-muscled breed was originally bred for pulling or draft purposes. Not for milk or fertility. JMHO.

If I were you, I'd keep my herd straight black, or consider a Hereford bull to put on your black cattle. But you are diluting the heterosis after that first cross. (I'm sure there will be others here who disagree with that.)

We have friends that use Black Simmental and that's a great set of cows. He just used the Black Sims for a little bit, then goes back to Black Angus. Gotta watch the size of both Angus and Simmental or your cows will get huge. When you add performance, you also add cow size. Maybe in your area that's not a big consideration. Here in the arid west, it is.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Size is not really a concern here as our environment allows for high stocking rates, Rule of thumb here is a pair per 1.5 acres . This year I could do a pair per 3/4 acre pretty easy .

cow pollinater

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:40 am

I'm a limi breeder and I think I'd put a white face on them before I went back with a limi. Especially on any eared cows.

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:56 am

ive got some domino 3027 in the tank I just never can decide what cows I want to try him on

highgrit

Postby highgrit » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:51 pm

How about a good Brangus?

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm

highgrit wrote:How about a good Brangus?

I'm considering that option also. I do love a little ear and they do make the best mamas

cow pollinater

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Genetrust has a couple of ultrablack bulls that look pretty good.

Red Bull

Postby Red Bull » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:40 pm

The eighties was a long time ago Faster Horses. Breed has changed a lot.

arrowcreek82

Postby arrowcreek82 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:34 am

I've got reds and black angus with belted bulls. Turned out good, big but good.

highgrit

Postby highgrit » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:43 am

Red Bull wrote:The eighties was a long time ago Faster Horses. Breed has changed a lot.

Arent they still red?

Red Bull

Postby Red Bull » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 am

Some of them.

Return to “Ranch Talk”