Ranchers.net Bull Session

Ok I'll put up something about cattle

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
jedstivers

Re: Ok I'll put up something about cattle

Postby jedstivers » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:21 pm

That's feed and mineral.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:19 pm

HEY GUYS in the South, Vigortone has a mineral called I.C.E. that helps keep the interior heat lower on cattle. I've never sold any
but I can tell you about it if you are interested. You would get it from a dealer near you, not from me. I'm just putting this out there in case you don't know about it.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Faster horses wrote:HEY GUYS in the South, Vigortone has a mineral called I.C.E. that helps keep the interior heat lower on cattle. I've never sold any
but I can tell you about it if you are interested. You would get it from a dealer near you, not from me. I'm just putting this out there in case you don't know about it.

I would like to know about it but The heat is really not as big an issue as some people make it out to be. I have far nmore problems with Winter where we are in the 20's one day and 70 the next . The constant fluctuations is hard on calves. I also have woods that the cows run in during the summer

4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 4Diamond » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Jed you sold out just in time

4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 4Diamond » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Faster horses wrote:HEY GUYS in the South, Vigortone has a mineral called I.C.E. that helps keep the interior heat lower on cattle. I've never sold any

Does that help with fescue toxicity?

jedstivers

Postby jedstivers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 pm

4Diamond wrote:Jed you sold out just in time

Better to be lucky than good any day.
I was wanting to keep them three more weeks but was getting concerned about the numbers that are coming to town
Also had a good cool spell for shipping. That don't happen often in August.
They have a seven hour ride.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:18 pm

4Diamond wrote:

Does that help with fescue toxicity?

I'm not sure about that as we don't deal with fescue here. Vigortone does have a special mineral for fescue that many past members have tried with great results. I will check on the I.C.E. and see if it has any properties that will help grazing fescue. Please realize I'm not trying to sell anything, but rather inform people of what is available. You would get it from a dealer near you.

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:24 am

So I assume vigortone does region specific mineral . what works in TN does not work here

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 am

m5farm wrote:So I assume vigortone does region specific mineral . what works in TN does not work here

Pretty much. Usually the dealer or Area Sales Manager for that area has grass samples taken in each region. It's the oldest mineral company in the USA. You would not believe the data that has been collected over the years. In our area, mostly cow/calf pairs
on grass, we have it down to pretty much one kind, then that basic changes in ingredients depending on the state of the grass. We can use less phos mineral in the spring and early summer, then when the grass dries out our customers know to go with a higher phos level so they back off consumption. I've learned something my ASM told me 24 years ago (yep! been a dealer for 24 years!!)--QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF FORAGE DICTATES MINERAL CONSUMPTION. That's good to remember. We have used mineral as a management tool. When cattle on grass start hitting the mineral harder, it's most likely time to move them as the 'desirables' have gone out of the grass. Ever notice when you put hay out in feeders and one feeder has
hay that isn't as good as the other one, they will always eat the best bale first? You can't fool a cow. :D

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Faster horses wrote:
m5farm wrote:So I assume vigortone does region specific mineral . what works in TN does not work here

Pretty much. Usually the dealer or Area Sales Manager for that area has grass samples taken in each region. It's the oldest mineral company in the USA. You would not believe the data that has been collected over the years. In our area, mostly cow/calf pairs
on grass, we have it down to pretty much one kind, then that basic changes in ingredients depending on the state of the grass. We can use less phos mineral in the spring and early summer, then when the grass dries out our customers know to go with a higher phos level so they back off consumption. I've learned something my ASM told me 24 years ago (yep! been a dealer for 24 years!!)--QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF FORAGE DICTATES MINERAL CONSUMPTION. That's good to remember. We have used mineral as a management tool. When cattle on grass start hitting the mineral harder, it's most likely time to move them as the 'desirables' have gone out of the grass. Ever notice when you put hay out in feeders and one feeder has
hay that isn't as good as the other one, they will always eat the best bale first? You can't fool a cow. :D

Interesting on the Phos.... We sometimes fight Calcium as the vegetables we feed are really low. I've basically never gone to a high Phos because I really haven't seen the cost of over consumption compared to under. I wish my cattle were easier to get to daily. I likely could save a bunch with a little more Alfalfa here and there.
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:03 pm

You are correct in being concerned about calcium. Adding calcium in the feedlot results in higher gains. Calcium in cattle is as important as calcium in people. If you are feeding a good 12% calcium mineral, you should be okay, I would think. I'm not familiar with calcium or the lack of it in vegetables, however.

Return to “Ranch Talk”